Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Aluminum vs stainless steel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aluminum vs stainless steel

I tried searching and came across some differences covering heat characteristics stating aluminum will not retain heat as steel would and also weighs less, alike the nisei pipes. Yet the pipes from Buschur come in stainless steel. I was about to buy the ETS pipes when a friend recommended Buschur over ETS, yet they are both steel. Can somebody please comment on why they would recommend one over the other. I understand these two companies make good products and I don't want a company debate. I'm mainly interested in the content of aluminum vs steel or any differences between the Buschur, Nisei and the ETS pipes. The reason why I was going with the ETS was to have have a complete set up with their intake pipe and steel recirculating pipe.

Last edited by sponger_pr; Mar 21, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Steel of any kind is unnecessary for IC piping. All it does it add weight. If the price allows it, you want aluminum.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nisei Aluminum IC Pipes.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JKav
Steel of any kind is unnecessary for IC piping. All it does it add weight. If the price allows it, you want aluminum.
Unless of course you are running meth and don't want to worry about the corrosion factor. Also Stainless steel will maintain it's luster if you are doing shows. In addition to that, when you are running higher boost levels, the stainless will not suffer from metal fatigue like the aluminum can. this would require significantly more boost than stock.

Josh
Old Mar 21, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Although it does take longer for Stainless to dissipate heat it also takes it longer to absorb heat as well.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I pefer the steel piping. You can really crank down on the T-Bolts. I really distorted the heck out of my old Logic Aluminum LICP cranking the T-Bolts down. Only way to keep it from popping off. Hairspray works wonders as well
Old Mar 21, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Unless of course you are running meth and don't want to worry about the corrosion factor. Also Stainless steel will maintain it's luster if you are doing shows. In addition to that, when you are running higher boost levels, the stainless will not suffer from metal fatigue like the aluminum can. this would require significantly more boost than stock.

Josh
What do you do about your aluminum intake manifold when you're running meth?

You'd need to be running absolutely insane (i.e. beyond Pro class NHRA) boost levels before fatigue enters the picture as a consideration.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Aluminium will cool off much quicker than stainless steel. It will transfer the temperature from the hot side to the cool side much better.

Example: The air running thru the inside of the intercooler is much hotter than the air entering the front fascia of the vehicle, right? And so the heat inside the intercooler gets transferred to the outside air which is colder, right?

OK, so the hot air gets transferred to the colder air and gets cooled down by doing this, right?

Which air is hotter the air entering the throttle body thru the intake pipes or the underhood temperatures? Which colder air is absorbing the hot air?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JKav
What do you do about your aluminum intake manifold when you're running meth?

You'd need to be running absolutely insane (i.e. beyond Pro class NHRA) boost levels before fatigue enters the picture as a consideration.
Typically Meth doesn't pool in the intake manifold when injected in the UICP like it does in the TB or at the point of injection. I have seen aluminum pipe with a lot of corrosion right around the bung where the meth injector is located.

You are correct that you would have to be running very high boost levels to worry about metal fatigue. However, as stated above the aluminum pipes transfer heat faster than steel which also means they absorb heat faster as well, there by transferring it to the charge air inside. This means that under hood heat will transfer through the aluminum pipes into the charge air faster than with stainless steel pipes.

Also, I do like the ability to really crank down on the t-bolt clamps and not worry about distorting the pipe.

Josh
Old Mar 22, 2009, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I bent my rvm uicp from tightening the tbolt clamp to hold 28psi, i'm going with stainless when I get the chance
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Typically Meth doesn't pool in the intake manifold when injected in the UICP like it does in the TB or at the point of injection. I have seen aluminum pipe with a lot of corrosion right around the bung where the meth injector is located.

You are correct that you would have to be running very high boost levels to worry about metal fatigue. However, as stated above the aluminum pipes transfer heat faster than steel which also means they absorb heat faster as well, there by transferring it to the charge air inside. This means that under hood heat will transfer through the aluminum pipes into the charge air faster than with stainless steel pipes.

Also, I do like the ability to really crank down on the t-bolt clamps and not worry about distorting the pipe.

Josh
I'll buy you a cookie if you can actually measure a difference in charge temps between aluminum and ss piping. It just is not an issue in reality. There's not nearly enough surface area for the plumbing to work effectively as a heat exchanger.

The deformation thing I can see. But if you're cranking down that hard to avoid blow-offs, it usually means you have other problems with the plumbing that is causing you do have to do that. Like a bead that isn't aggressive enough or poorly fitting piping or an ill-fitting coupler , or simply an ape with a half inch drive ratchet.