Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

drop in pistons and rods!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
same thing can be said about built blocks, and even stock blocks. a built motor is not invincible. i've seen motors from big name shops fail in as little as one day after they dynoed it and gave the car back. with time and care, drop ins will work very well. buschur and most other big shops sell drop in piston kits because they know it works. is it as good as a complete build? no, but its certainly stronger then the stock parts which is the goal.
I didn't mean to make it seem that built engines are invincible but rather more reliable when properly done opposed to a properly done drop in scenario.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

same thing can be said about built blocks, and even stock blocks. a built motor is not invincible. i've seen motors from big name shops fail in as little as one day after they dynoed it and gave the car back. with time and care, drop ins will work very well. buschur and most other big shops sell drop in piston kits because they know it works. is it as good as a complete build? no, but its certainly stronger then the stock parts which is the goal.
They sell drop in piston kits? if so can someone link it for me thank you !
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

I looked on their web site i cant find anything about it
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

I know ttp has said they have something, and I know buschur does it, although I don't know if buschur will sell the kits (it might be an in house thing only). You'll have to just call around

Essentially a kit should have rods (should come with rod bolts)
Pistons (will have rings and wrist pins), rings will have to be sized
Head studs
Head gasket
Rod bearings. The rod bearings will need to be sized though, so orderin one size might not be right. You need to measure the crank to know for sure
Turbo drain gasket will be needed
Oil pan sealant
Oil pickup gasket
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:32 PM
Account Disabled

2100 ur being ripped off go else were man.... do it right though build the entire block not drop in stuff
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:39 PM

second that
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

I know ttp has said they have something, and I know buschur does it, although I don't know if buschur will sell the kits (it might be an in house thing only). You'll have to just call around

Essentially a kit should have rods (should come with rod bolts)
Pistons (will have rings and wrist pins), rings will have to be sized
Head studs
Head gasket
Rod bearings. The rod bearings will need to be sized though, so orderin one size might not be right. You need to measure the crank to know for sure
Turbo drain gasket will be needed
Oil pan sealant
Oil pickup gasket
As far as I know TTP doesn't recommend that as an option anymore.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

I suggest you read the thread about drop-in pistons/rods about a year ago.

It was very informative and a good read.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-question.html
Old Mar 22, 2009, 04:30 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There really is not an efficient way to get honing angles perfect as well as piston to wall clearances correct with a drop in build. For standard bore applications used in lower boost applications you may be able to get by.

Our philosophy is measure twice and cut once. Our reputation is too valuable to damage on a drop in piston install where tolerances are less than perfect.

From line boring to, clearancing cylinder to wall measurements, pin fitment and clearancing, keeping the crank clean from contamination of honing particles, getting the hone angle correct, keeping the bore cylindric in shape, there is just too much on the line if you want a reliable, long term build to work.

Our suggestion is to have the block precision machined for the exact pistons and rods you are using and provide them to the machinist for exact measurement and clearancing.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

ttp, question, why the change in heart? have you guys seen long term results that aren't as ideal as expected? a drop in go bad? the post here is very different from the one linked above, and i'm interested to hear why you changed opinions on this. thanks guys!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

What about just doing the rod bolts? It seems like the rod bearings are the week link when under 500awhp.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

What id like to see is the people who have done drop in pistons and rods to chime in.

How many miles have you put on them so far? Any issues? And how much HP are you making?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
There really is not an efficient way to get honing angles perfect as well as piston to wall clearances correct with a drop in build. For standard bore applications used in lower boost applications you may be able to get by.

Our philosophy is measure twice and cut once. Our reputation is too valuable to damage on a drop in piston install where tolerances are less than perfect.

From line boring to, clearancing cylinder to wall measurements, pin fitment and clearancing, keeping the crank clean from contamination of honing particles, getting the hone angle correct, keeping the bore cylindric in shape, there is just too much on the line if you want a reliable, long term build to work.

Our suggestion is to have the block precision machined for the exact pistons and rods you are using and provide them to the machinist for exact measurement and clearancing.
yeah before you were all about it...now why the change?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One's personal natural progression to consistently improve performance will eventually reach the point where more precision measurement and machining will be necessary.

Modifying Evo's has a modification snowball effect that is difficult to stop, once in motion.

For those with a lower HP goal and the dicipline to stop at a certain point. The drop in piston combination is a cheap alternative. You have to pay to play can be inserted here however.

Best results will always be had with the half million dollars worth of precision machines, precisely setting the tolerances however.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Mar 24, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

uh what?

Have you seen issues on the drop in builds you have done to this point?

Quick Reply: drop in pistons and rods!