Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bbk vs. fp red vs. tomei arms for stock block pump w/meth

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 on the limit of your stock block.
Most of the guys I know making 500+ (FPred, AMS, BR) are all running built engines. There are a few here making those numbers on stock blocks but is just a matter of time. For reliability on stock block than I would have to say BBK. Spools better than the green and keeps pulling without dropping. Run some E-85 or meth and you'll be in the 400s whp. A very fun and reliable street car. Your limiting factor is your block and much risk are you willing to deal with. Hopefully you are already running a heavy duty clutch too. It costs to play.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sponger_pr
+1 on the limit of your stock block.
Most of the guys I know making 500+ (FPred, AMS, BR) are all running built engines. There are a few here making those numbers on stock blocks but is just a matter of time. For reliability on stock block than I would have to say BBK. Spools better than the green and keeps pulling without dropping. Run some E-85 or meth and you'll be in the 400s whp. A very fun and reliable street car. Your limiting factor is your block and much risk are you willing to deal with. Hopefully you are already running a heavy duty clutch too. It costs to play.
For sure, have Exedy twin- not aiming for a 500 whp goal, more like over 400, maybe 450 but not at compromise of the engine. If I can safely (regarding my motor and NOT blowing it up soon) reach my goal with the BBK Full I would rather have the quicker spool... I can't afford a built block anytime soon! Would a Red on meth at 26-28 psi be putting my stock blok at risk then??? Any idea what whp I would be at with the Red at that point?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:41 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
I'll try to look for your review, but which version of BBK you have? How much boost are you running on pump/meth and what numbers are you making on pump meth? Thanks!
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...highlight=Blue

~24.5psi on pump, and 28psi tapering to 24@8000 on alky. No dyno numbers yet, but I'm expecting 360whp on pump and 400whp on alky on a local dyno dynamics, and gunning for 400whp pump/450whp alky on local dynojet.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
BBK hands down. I've had one for about 3 weeks now and the performance is spectacular: power from 3500-8000rpm solid. Pump gas is a blast, flip on the alky and it gets retarded fun! This will bring you to the limit of the stock block and let you keep it nice and reliable.

I wrote a review in the review section, and hands down for service alone the choice goes to CBRD. I ordered on a friday and had the turbo in my hands the following week. FP simply cannot deliver this type of service and even though the red might make a few more ponies, it is simply not worth it imho.

With that said, the BBK is a freaking BLAST to drive! I'm *very* happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone else looking for a stock-frame turbo upgrade.

I agree 100%, have been running mine for 2.5 months and love it. Keeps a grin on . CBRD has awsome customer service too
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Id go with the tomei, its proven and for pump meth the power band and tq youll have will be a fun street car.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...highlight=Blue

~24.5psi on pump, and 28psi tapering to 24@8000 on alky. No dyno numbers yet, but I'm expecting 360whp on pump and 400whp on alky on a local dyno dynamics, and gunning for 400whp pump/450whp alky on local dynojet.

that port work is awesome!! So CBRD doesn't offer that then? You had it done elsewhere it looked like
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CWiLL
Id go with the tomei, its proven and for pump meth the power band and tq youll have will be a fun street car.
well, same goes for the BBK. What advantage does the Tomei have over the BBK besides the cool lettering? I ask it in all honesty, because if it makes the same or better numbers but with less lag than the BBK it would be the better performer... ANYONE?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

I'm pretty sure CBRD does porting, I think he just had it ported elsewhere.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

CBRD FTW! Anyways, give Chad a call and explain your goals. Customer support from Chad and the guys is second to none. Both awesome turbos (Red/BBK) but customer service seems to be lacking from FP as of late. No personal issues w/ them, but I remember reading a few threads concerning it. Please chime in Guys and Gals if you have any input.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:31 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey guys...

thanks for the kind words.... we are here to help you guys achieve your goals.. our products arent right for everyone, so we prefer that you contact us to discuss your goals..

fp makes a great product too..... i have really no info on the tomei except from seeing it in person and it didnt look like the turbo was much different than a 20G... that being said.... it may be a really nice turbo..

if youre staying below 30psi our turbo works fantastic... if you want to run more... get a red... it is a BIG stock housing turbo...

cheers

cb
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

hey man i have the same power goals in mind as you and from what i have been researching you can easily hit 400whp with a bbk and tomei on meth. they will spool a little faster than the red but wont have the same peak hp. i will be running 93 octane though and 25/26 psi. what dyno will you be using? if its a mustang dyno you should definetly get a red if you wanna hit 450 but if you wanna hit 400 im pretty sure some meth at 27 psi can get the job done.

i wanna hear more about this oil problem with the fp red. do you just buy their oil feed line on their site and you will be ok?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo4life400
hey man i have the same power goals in mind as you and from what i have been researching you can easily hit 400whp with a bbk and tomei on meth. they will spool a little faster than the red but wont have the same peak hp. i will be running 93 octane though and 25/26 psi. what dyno will you be using? if its a mustang dyno you should definetly get a red if you wanna hit 450 but if you wanna hit 400 im pretty sure some meth at 27 psi can get the job done.

i wanna hear more about this oil problem with the fp red. do you just buy their oil feed line on their site and you will be ok?
not sure what type of dyno, I would have it tuned at Cobb Tuning since I'm in SLC. FP Red is fine with their upgraded oil line from what I have read
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
hey guys...

thanks for the kind words.... we are here to help you guys achieve your goals.. our products arent right for everyone, so we prefer that you contact us to discuss your goals..

fp makes a great product too..... i have really no info on the tomei except from seeing it in person and it didnt look like the turbo was much different than a 20G... that being said.... it may be a really nice turbo..

if youre staying below 30psi our turbo works fantastic... if you want to run more... get a red... it is a BIG stock housing turbo...

cheers

cb
Definitely staying below 30 psi, I will stay with the stock block for the next few years so it needs to last that long!! I read the thread where the 500 hp BMW M5 made 367 whp on your dyno.... using your dyno and that number as a reference point, what would be a realistic whp number based upon my mods (listed in first post) with a good tune by Cobb at say 28 psi? Would I be able to break the 400 mark on your dyno? I appreciate your help and your time!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ts-thread.html

heres a good thread on the bbk. i dont know if you have seen this yet but it has a boat load of info on the bbk
Old Mar 22, 2009, 03:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
28 psi with meth will EASILY break 400whp on our dyno

most pump gas (24-28psi) BBK's with good bolt ons.. GSC cams, ported exh man, o2 housing, fmic, turboback catless, intake, and ic piping will make 370-400whp on our dyno.

pm me for more thorough info, I dont like it to sound like we are "pitching" a product on here....

cb

Quick Reply: bbk vs. fp red vs. tomei arms for stock block pump w/meth