Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

bbk vs. fp red vs. tomei arms for stock block pump w/meth

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I understand running the Red at high boost can make enough power to make the stock block fail, but at 28psi on meth would it be too much power?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06evors
I know it wasn't in your plans. But since your solid on quick spool and meth. Then the quick turnaround and the solid numers/reviews of the BBK full and the FP greens then I think your best bet is those two. Good luck in your choice.
My understanding that the BBK is more in between a Green and a Red- am I mistaken? The thing holding me back from a Red (aside from wait time and the awesome customer service at CBRD) is that my setup may make too much power for the stock block to handle being at 28psi on meth on a Red.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand why PSI is a requirement. Don't get me wrong boost is good and all but it really is about your tune in conjunction with boost, you want to get timing, fuel trims, and knock out of the way. The way I see it boost is a helper to get you into your sweet spot, and as cool as carrying 28psi over a certain amount of RPMS sounds, it may not be the best setup for your application.

Meth cars are decent with the right setup but all you need is that one sensor to fail and boom there goes your motor. Why not run something safe until you can afford to have the block honed, forged pistons, and crankshaft installed then go the 28psi route. From my experience overstressing any material or pushing it to its maximum tensile strength will not yield a reliable lifespan, of course there are exceptions.

I know of a certain Lexus that fried plugs consistently because he needed 500whp, the car also started knocking. Mod for stability don't mod for bragging rights, no one will care when the motor pops; well you may get a lot of people going ohhhhhh but then your 15 min of fame is gone. Drop boost to 25 psi, build the motor and then up the boost. Is your head ported?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DIDYSIS
Might as well just get a red and call it good. Or go bigger
Interesting advise, but I randomly just read in another thread that you blew up your motor....
...thats exactly what I am try NOT to do, hence why I am afraid to go with a red at 28psi, and definitely why I refuse to go bigger.
No offense, but I would like to hear about which turbo would would better for a stock block/all bolt-on/28psi w/meth setup... and getting the most power possible safely without comprimising my motor.... which is my concern with a Red.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:44 AM
Former Sponsor

wondering why not the green ??
i know u havent asked
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
I don't understand why PSI is a requirement. Don't get me wrong boost is good and all but it really is about your tune in conjunction with boost, you want to get timing, fuel trims, and knock out of the way. The way I see it boost is a helper to get you into your sweet spot, and as cool as carrying 28psi over a certain amount of RPMS sounds, it may not be the best setup for your application.

Meth cars are decent with the right setup but all you need is that one sensor to fail and boom there goes your motor. Why not run something safe until you can afford to have the block honed, forged pistons, and crankshaft installed then go the 28psi route. From my experience overstressing any material or pushing it to its maximum tensile strength will not yield a reliable lifespan, of course there are exceptions.

I know of a certain Lexus that fried plugs consistently because he needed 500whp, the car also started knocking. Mod for stability don't mod for bragging rights, no one will care when the motor pops; well you may get a lot of people going ohhhhhh but then your 15 min of fame is gone. Drop boost to 25 psi, build the motor and then up the boost. Is your head ported?

Head is not ported- 28psi is not a requirement, just want to stay at that level or below since I am on stock block. I figured with a meth kit that has a failsafe built in I can run that kind of boost if I want to. I have a whp goal for the car which is 400-450, and I want that power to be reliable- although I know it would be dependant upon my failsafe working correctly, which is the case with most people running meth kits. If that psi is too high/tune too aggressive to reach those numbers with a BBK I would like to know! Thats the reson I posted this thread. If I would be better off with a Red tuned for 25-26 psi to reach those numbers, I would like to know as well. I want to max out my stock block while keeping the setup reliable as well.
Maybe the question I should be asking is this: with a good tune and my mods, what turbo AND boost level is required to maximize my stock block setup, getting the most power that is safe to run, and what whp number would that be?

Last edited by DJ Brett B; Apr 3, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

I'm going to just re-ask this, because these are the real answers that I seek when considering these turbos:

With a good tune and my mods (listed in first post):
1.) what turbo AND 2.) what boost level is required to maximize my stock block setup, getting the MOST power that is SAFE to run, and 3.) what whp number would that be?

Last edited by DJ Brett B; Apr 3, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Then I think you best bet is to get your head ported, throw a red on at 25 lbs of boost that way you're flowing more air and making more power in addition to the turbine. 400 whp is doable without meth, and I'd say skip it quite honestly. what kind of dyno do you want to make this power on? Obviously a dynojet is going to yield higher numbers whereas a mustang dyno will not make as much power.

Last edited by Boostfiend; Mar 27, 2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
Then I think you best bet is to get your head ported, throw a red on at 25 lbs of boost that way you're flowing more air and making more power in addition to the turbine. 400 who is doable without meth, and I'd say skip it quite honestly. what kind of dyno do you want to make this power on? Obviously a dynojet is going to yield higher numbers whereas a mustang dyno will not make as much power.
Thanks for your input- Ported head is not affordable/not an option for me. Mustang dyno tuning will be CobbTuning. Meth kit is on its way already, and I am limited with my options for fuel- I run crap 91 octane, no E-85 or good gas here in Utah, 91 is highest pump available... I am really looking for turbo selection, which one gets me to SAFELY to the LIMITS of the stock block, and what boost levels are required on each to meet my power goals with BBK and Red on meth kit? Just posted my questions a little more specifically in post # 67
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Welllll as has been shown in other threads, the stock block is good for 500+hp with 35Rs, 30psi etc. It's all in the tune really.

Running 28psi shouldn't be a problem as long as your supporting mods are in place - cams, springs, retainers and ARP head studs. Also good to have the exhaust free flowing as possible - 02 housing, 3 inch downpipe, 3 inch tube right out the back of the car. I'd also put an upgraded FMIC, intake and hard upper and lower IC piping on the list of must-haves to handle all that power.

Then you just chuck on your Red (and fuel pump and injectors), find a good tuner and have at it.

I'm running 28psi on my CBRD BBK Lite with all of the above mods, am making around 380+ at the wheels and having zero issues so far...and a 0 knock tune to boot.

On pump.

I ran 28psi on my stock turbo for a whole year before getting the BBK with no issues as well. And I drive like a maniac - track, AutoX and daily driving.

Just get all the supporting mod on there and find a good tuner.

I'd also recommend skipping the meth really - just one more thing to go wrong and you don't want to be relying on that for your car not to go pop.

Last edited by theshadow; Mar 27, 2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by theshadow
Welllll as has been shown in other threads, the stock block is good for 500+hp with 35Rs, 30psi etc. It's all in the tune really.

Running 28psi shouldn't be a problem as long as your supporting mods are in place - cams, springs, retainers and ARP head studs. Also good to have the exhaust free flowing as possible - 02 housing, 3 inch downpipe, 3 inch tube right out the back of the car. I'd also put an upgraded FMIC, intake and hard upper and lower IC piping on the list of must-haves to handle all that power.

Then you just chuck on your Red (and fuel pump and injectors), find a good tuner and have at it.

I'm running 28psi on my CBRD BBK Lite with all of the above mods, am making around 380+ at the wheels and having zero issues so far...and a 0 knock tune to boot.

On pump.

I ran 28psi on my stock turbo for a whole year before getting the BBK with no issues as well. And I drive like a maniac - track, AutoX and daily driving.

Just get all the supporting mod on there and find a good tuner.

I'd also recommend skipping the meth really - just one more thing to go wrong and you don't want to be relying on that for your car not to go pop.
Cool, I have all the supporting mods for sure, and still planning on going BBK Full... I am limited to 91 octane and no E-85, so I am going with an AEM methanol kit. I would prefer to get there without methanol, but hopefully with the failsafe in place I will not experience any problems. I will also make sure the methanol tank stays at least half full to ensure I don't run low, and to prevent sloshing/air in the line. Going with a professional tune as well from Cobb Tuning.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Also, if time and money allow the same day, I will have them do a pump gas tune that I can switch to via laptop. Plan on running meth kit all the time tho
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

How much power is possible on the Red with 91 octane (and NO meth)? Just curious

Last edited by DJ Brett B; Mar 31, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Just ordered myself my ported BBK Full turbo today!!!! Thanks CBRD!!!!!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

these are all really good questions. I think the reason people are so up in the air about whether they want a red or bbk is because there are countless graphs of reds in the 500s. For me, knowing that i could break into the 500s with the red makes it sort of worth it to jump on it. But then you also need to think that you could be wait 3-4 months just to get it really turns me off. I am a big supporter of the bbk and am fully planning on getting one, but all you guys need is one graph of a bbk in the 500s and peoples minds will be made up a lot easier.

Quick Reply: bbk vs. fp red vs. tomei arms for stock block pump w/meth