Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3 just in, question about some smoke.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.3 just in, question about some smoke.

I just installed my new 2.3 and I am breaking in the motor. I noticed two things. First is that the S2 cams are now very noticeable compared to the original 2L motor. I donīt know if this is normal. Also, sometimes when I start the motor I noticed a greyish cloud of smoke from the exhaust. It smells as if it were LCD or transmission oil. I am using Brad Penn oil. There is no smoke while the car is running, only when I start it up and only sometimes. I have not tuned the car for this new motor, I was waiting for the break in period to be over. What do you guys think. Idle is poor too, but I think this is normal until I get the new tune.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:22 PM

yes i would like to know about this too, anybody?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

It's probably just because it's warming up. Keep an eye on your oil too, I hear they consume a lot of oil in the break-in. You need a tune also.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by fvaldes
I just installed my new 2.3 and I am breaking in the motor. I noticed two things. First is that the S2 cams are now very noticeable compared to the original 2L motor. I donīt know if this is normal. Also, sometimes when I start the motor I noticed a greyish cloud of smoke from the exhaust. It smells as if it were LCD or transmission oil. I am using Brad Penn oil. There is no smoke while the car is running, only when I start it up and only sometimes. I have not tuned the car for this new motor, I was waiting for the break in period to be over. What do you guys think. Idle is poor too, but I think this is normal until I get the new tune.

You sometimes will get some smoking while the break-in , keep on eye on things .

Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:01 AM
Former Sponsor

you upped the displacement by 15% and haven't done anything to the tune? you should have a wideband on it and be setting your idle speeds, injector latencys, etc immediately. make sure that thing is running properly
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
you upped the displacement by 15% and haven't done anything to the tune? you should have a wideband on it and be setting your idle speeds, injector latencys, etc immediately. make sure that thing is running properly
Yeah you need to make sure the injectors are scaled correctly if they are new (bigger). Depending on your ECU, there are some idle settings that will help the car warm-up and idle better.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the input. The car runs very good except at idle as I mentioned and the once in a while smoke when I turn it on. I agree that it is so new that I need some miles in it to start thinking about what is going on. I also agree about the tune, but my tuner advices me to break in the motor and then get the tune in order to do thinks only once. I am really taking good care of the motor right now, very low boost and no more than 5000 revs. So I guess my old tune is fine for now until it is time to start stepping on it. Also, my new RED is here tomorrow so I will install it no Satrurday and I will keep on with the break in.
Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude you need it tuned right now(break in map), your tuner should have sent you a break in map. If he doesn't know this, you should be looking for another tuner...
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

My car will occasionally blow some smoke when it starts, this is not likely oil based on color, smell, and duration, and I am 99% sure it is extra fuel burning from running rich either from last shutdown or on startup. Since my new tune and the warmer weather I have not noticed this, but your smoke may be fuel. However, you should definitely get the car returned after dropping in a stroker...
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

I just talked to my tuner and he said that when you do a new motor that includes new injectors ( different in size ) then the tune would be mandatory. He told me that since I am not putting a lot of load in the motor and I am keeping the boost low I am safe for the moment. He told me he could lower timing but he feels it is ok as long as I keep with the breakin. The previous tune he did was with the 880 injectors I have on right now.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should be ok then if the injectors are scaled.

But, it doesn't hurt to get a few easy tuning things done now during break-in. Like the idle issues, I'd make him fix those now. And I would pull 3-4 degrees of timing out for break-in.

If the tuner is a friend make him get off his butt. If you are paying him, than you're the customer - he does what you want.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

he did suggest about taking some timing out. I will take your advice and his word for that. I would rather play it safe.
Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

good information as i will be doing this soon aswell.