Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 Mivec Conversion - specifics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2009, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k2boarder3187
kind of off topic and i dont feel like starting a new thread..

Are the evo 8 and evo 9 cranks exactly the same? They should be right? its the same block correct?
I believe so....but I know for a fact that I have an evo IX crank in my VIII block.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Now here is another snag... I have the EVO VIII MR manual, and it seems that the pinouts are different than RRE's regular EVO VIII pinout... I am guessing due to the ACD implimentation... But what is cool... is everything I have checked in the schematic for the VIII MR seems to be identical to the IX except for the MIVEC stuff...

Last edited by Fast_Freddie; Mar 28, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:17 AM

there is more than one way to skin a cat , so good luck to your wiring . humm ... licensed programmer ... if you can use a micro wave ,you can "program" te controller , how hard can it be to set a valcon controller with 1 knob and 4 buttons with basic 5X5 matrix , i think there more buttons on the casio watches . if you want more resolution than you have to buy the " valcon easy writer" to give you the full 16 X16 mivec map . huummm ... ECU protection .... all i know is that the stock ecu will retard ignition timing if there is sum of 3 knocks up to minus 15 degree retard ... even if the mivec oil pressure fails it will go full retard at 120 ATDC , no worries mate . my mech spend a week hand cranking , checking the various intake/exhaust cam setting for clearance issue because i mated a E8 cosworth head to the HKS mivec cam kit , which has a 10.8mm lift compared to the stock cam which is 10.2 mm ... cutting original wiring to splice and mod plugs now that is brain surgery !!! i rather spend my time on the track and have a cold one after a good track day or maybe i go sailing on a boat and enjoy the sea ... unless you see a actual working car with the mods , and he lives next to you for you to ask lots of question . or your car will be in the shop for a long time .
what i can tell you is the mivec is worth it weight in gold , it can maximise cylinder pressure at all rpm . i'm now crusing at 55 mph at 1800 rpm vs 2000 rpm before , save fuel . like i say good luck ....

Last edited by loosecannon; Mar 28, 2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:58 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
Alright scheides I went throught the two wiring diagrams today, and it seems like the EVO VIII has quite a few more sensors than the IX if the diagrams are correct. I seriously need some better diagrams and ones that are absolutely correct before I spend anymore time on this...
Do you have any specific examples? I can't think of any sensors an 05 has over an 06.

Originally Posted by loosecannon
there is more than one way to skin a cat , so good luck to your wiring . humm ... licensed programmer ... if you can use a micro wave ,you can "program" te controller , how hard can it be to set a valcon controller with 1 knob and 4 buttons with basic 5X5 matrix , i think there more buttons on the casio watches . if you want more resolution than you have to buy the " valcon easy writer" to give you the full 16 X16 mivec map . huummm ... ECU protection .... all i know is that the stock ecu will retard ignition timing if there is sum of 3 knocks up to minus 15 degree retard ... even if the mivec oil pressure fails it will go full retard at 120 ATDC , no worries mate . my mech spend a week hand cranking , checking the various intake/exhaust cam setting for clearance issue because i mated a E8 cosworth head to the HKS mivec cam kit , which has a 10.8mm lift compared to the stock cam which is 10.2 mm ... cutting original wiring to splice and mod plugs now that is brain surgery !!! i rather spend my time on the track and have a cold one after a good track day or maybe i go sailing on a boat and enjoy the sea ... unless you see a actual working car with the mods , and he lives next to you for you to ask lots of question . or your car will be in the shop for a long time .
what i can tell you is the mivec is worth it weight in gold , it can maximise cylinder pressure at all rpm . i'm now crusing at 55 mph at 1800 rpm vs 2000 rpm before , save fuel . like i say good luck ....
Do you have any more specific info on your setup? Tuning the HKS controller? There's no way you cruise at a different RPM at a given mph unless you have changed some parts in your transmission or you put in a non perma-slipping clutch
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:59 PM
EvoM Moderator

Also, in the other thread, an entire IX engine harness was purchased....I'm talking to a dealer to get some part numbers and prices
Old Mar 30, 2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by scheides
Do you have any specific examples? I can't think of any sensors an 05 has over an 06.

Do you have any more specific info on your setup? Tuning the HKS controller? There's no way you cruise at a different RPM at a given mph unless you have changed some parts in your transmission or you put in a non perma-slipping clutch
mine a automatic gearbox .

try this thread on mivec tuning
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ec-tuning.html
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:47 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by loosecannon
mine a automatic gearbox .

try this thread on mivec tuning
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ec-tuning.html
WHAT? Dude, this is supposed to be a technical thread on a specific subject. Mivec tuning has been and will be discussed for years on end and is NOT the point of this thread.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:30 AM
EvoM Moderator

Bump! I got some info via Modern Automotive Performance:

Originally Posted by chris@MAP

CRATE ENGINE ~$6000.00 + SHIPPING

* 6 SPEED 1000A479
* 5 SPEED 1000A478

They have 2 different numbers because they come with clutchs in them already...so that is the only difference.

WIRING HARNESS

* RS HARNESS 8541A313 ~$750
* GSR/MR HARNESS 8541A314 ~$800
PLEASE NOTE that I rounded off the numbers as ifyou're spending $7k a few hundred bucks either way will be found here or there. The focus here is on general price and actual part numbers!

So, harness, mivec head (or motor), and IX ecu...hrmmm......

I still really like the crate motor idea. It's a lot of cash up front, but think of all the stuff you could sell off of your existing motor and/or the new motor to help offset the ultimate cost. Plus you get all new timing components, alternator, an IX turbo, etc etc etc.

Last edited by scheides; Apr 15, 2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:42 AM
EvoM Moderator

Now let's talk wiring....where all does the engine harness go to? If the engine/trans is out of he car how much work would it be to swap the wiring harness out? Seems like most of it goes through the firewall just above the xfer case.....you don't have to rip out the dash or anything crazy to get the harness swapped do you?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
I was just thinking... you may not even have to solder the two boomslang/skunk2 harnesses together... If I remember correctly MalibuJack has EVO VIII and IX pins for purchase for his WBO2 replacement of the rear O2, so in theory you could purchase EVO IX pins from him and completely rebuild a hybrid VIII/IX boomslang/skunk2 harness without any soldering at all The hardest part would be the wiring diagram... I am going on vacation then on a short 1 month det in the next 2 weeks so I will see if I can create a wiring diagram for this while I am on the boat, I can't guarantee anything, but I will do my best.
The pins are different so you can't push a 9 pin in an 8 plug.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am currently swapping over a IX mivec head on my car, I am collecting parts. So far I have:

IX Complete Head with all the sensors
IX Engine harness
IX ECU

I have about $1000 in it so far with the above mentioned parts....

I just need to tear into the car sometime to get this started, just need to find some time to do it...

~Zach
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:33 AM
EvoM Moderator

Awesome! Let us know how the harness swap goes and any other details that emerge!
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome! Let us know how the harness swap goes and any other details that emerge!
Will do! I will be taking pictures and all, as well as creating a how-to for all the people that want to do the swap. Should be simple enough, the only thing I am concerned about it tapping the block in the car for the oil feed for the MIVEC....

~Zach
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Now let's talk wiring....where all does the engine harness go to? If the engine/trans is out of he car how much work would it be to swap the wiring harness out? Seems like most of it goes through the firewall just above the xfer case.....you don't have to rip out the dash or anything crazy to get the harness swapped do you?
My dash is completely out for this swap, but I've questioned the need for that. If you look where you mentioned on the firewall above the transfer case, there's a black plastic bracket through which the wiring harness enters the interior of the car. I THINK there are 2 bolts with nuts on them holding this bracket in place, thus holding that section of the harness in place. One nut can be removed from the engine bay side, the other was removed from inside under the dash. I could not reach it with the dash in place, but perhaps I did not have the right tools to reach it with the dash in place. It's difficult to reach. I'll see if I can get some pictures and report back.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
My dash is completely out for this swap, but I've questioned the need for that. If you look where you mentioned on the firewall above the transfer case, there's a black plastic bracket through which the wiring harness enters the interior of the car. I THINK there are 2 bolts with nuts on them holding this bracket in place, thus holding that section of the harness in place. One nut can be removed from the engine bay side, the other was removed from inside under the dash. I could not reach it with the dash in place, but perhaps I did not have the right tools to reach it with the dash in place. It's difficult to reach. I'll see if I can get some pictures and report back.
I can take pictures later of the harness so everyone can see what you are talking about...

~Zach

Quick Reply: Evo 8 Mivec Conversion - specifics