Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which Engine Oil is the Best

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:16 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on legitimacy issuse. I think some of the addative companies have something still.

Question : How much shorter, does EP make the oil interval last ?

Don't you believe that oil film strength plays an important role in the protection of engine parts, bearings ect... It seems pretty logical, that one would like to keep metal touching to a minimum. And if it does, will ones oil better protect prior to actual metal contact. I maintain, I'd like to see D-3233. Does Amsoil have the D-3233 for their MTG ?

Something I was just noticing. How about a 4 ball wear test with lower weight oils. 20W-50 is not what the average guy/girl runs in their car. ...and with light weight oils proving themselves more, and more reliable, it seems likely that oils will get thinner with better protection.
You can disagree all you want. The fact is that a Gear Lube Test is not valid for a Motor Oil or all the oil companies would use it. The Valid test for a motor oil remains D-4172 or D-4172B 4 Ball Wear Test.

You are more than welcome to spend all the money you want and send any oils into a Certified Lab and have whatever tests you want performed if that is what is necessary to satisfy your curiosity.

It doesn't make a difference how much or how fast an EP additive effects the oil life. They do, they have no place in an oil, they have been sued by the FTC which is why you don't see them advertised on TV anymore.

Here are two test reports on lighter weight Racing oils...

Attached Thumbnails Which Engine Oil is the Best-rd20_fourball_400.jpg   Which Engine Oil is the Best-rd30_fourball_400.jpg  
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run castrol 0w-30. Works fine for me. I won't run mobil 1 after thinning issues i had in my sentra.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:31 AM
Account Disabled

Forgot about the MTG question...

No.. As it is not for use in a differential... It is a transmission lube.

I can guarantee that there are well over 1000 EVOm Members using MTG and enjoying it

Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hear sand works great!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob S
Forgot about the MTG question...

No.. As it is not for use in a differential... It is a transmission lube.

I can guarantee that there are well over 1000 EVOm Members using MTG and enjoying it

Yeah, I know I use it in the tranny and it works, which is why I asked. ....and I didn't mention anything about it being used for the diff. It appears your being testy, I just want information to make the best decision that I can. If there is something out that's better, I want to know about it, that's just how I am. Thanks for the light oil comparison, btw.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:19 AM

i know this was on page 3 but i only use like 4.5 quarts and the oil level is on the 2nd dot of the dipstick? do you really need 5.4 quarts? that seems a lot.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

AMSOIL 0-30 SSO is a very good oil
used them before
and they are very impressive
cleaner than other oil when we do a service again
Old Apr 29, 2009, 04:36 PM
Account Disabled

Yeah, I know I use it in the tranny and it works, which is why I asked. ....and I didn't mention anything about it being used for the diff. It appears your being testy, I just want information to make the best decision that I can. If there is something out that's better, I want to know about it, that's just how I am. Thanks for the light oil comparison, btw.
Sorry, not testy.... short on time lately with Spring breaking... Waking up to dozens of emails from bike forums after just finishing at midnite keeps me busy.

You asked for the Falex test on the MTG but itis not done as that test is for Gear Lubes such as used in a differential or Extreme Pressure application which is not your transmission...

75W-90 is equivalent to a 20W-50 Engine oil

70W-80 such as remmended in the new 6 speeds is equivalent to a 5W-30 but for the performance people that do "Spirited" Driving, you can't beat the AMSOIL MTG..

I knew you were running that

Bob
Old Apr 29, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
eneos 5-40 works like magic
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting that you're a bike guy Bob. Have you tried Alisyn oils ?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 04:48 AM
Account Disabled

Interesting that you're a bike guy Bob. Have you tried Alisyn oils ?

No..... I have checked it out and talked to a company rep some time back.

I checked there Spec's out though and they appear to be a Hydro-Cracked Product like most of the rest.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Bob, Alisyn is not hydrocracked. I'm not sure who, at Aerospace Lubricants, gave you that information, but it is indeed misinformation. Basically, it's a mineral based oil, kind of a 1/2 way point from mineral based to PAO. They have never used hydrocracked oils and have always been PAO based. I'm almost certain it's synthesized by benzene.

I highly recommend taking another look, and possibly a try. The oil really is pretty amazing.

Last edited by SWOLN; Apr 30, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:29 AM
Account Disabled

I took a quick look again and pulled a Product that was common and easy to find.... With everything labeled "Tribolube" it is a pain...

Indeed the couple that I looked at appear to be a PAO Based as AMSOIL is.

I pulled up their "75W-90" and took a quick look at the specs. Some are good, but it is actually a 110 and not a 90. This is quite common with gear lube Mfg's as there is no Governing Body but, we also see this with Motor Oil sometimes..

Allthough time is tight, I will attempt to look at some of their other products.
Old May 2, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

10-30 amsoil, i use it and love it, being that im stock i noticed when i went from the mobil1 to the amsoil my car revved a little better up top, 3rd and 4th gear pulls feel a little bit smoother, and ive never felt that with an oil change, lol, my friend is making 900 crank hp on his TH400 supra with amsoil and hes a dealer for amsoil, he taught me alot about oil, like i never knew royal purple has graphite in it and it will score your engine over time, and it proved true when a mutual acquaintance of ours was running it and on his supra and making over 800whp on royal purple and my friend said he would blow his motor... well... 3 months later he blew his motor, but even with all the other variables, the car was rarely driven, running an AEM EMS and on a safe tune, when they pulled the motor the block and crank were scored... so since than i'm even more of a believer in amsoil
Old May 2, 2009, 10:36 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by scarface2jz
10-30 amsoil, i use it and love it, being that im stock i noticed when i went from the mobil1 to the amsoil my car revved a little better up top, 3rd and 4th gear pulls feel a little bit smoother, and ive never felt that with an oil change, lol, my friend is making 900 crank hp on his TH400 supra with amsoil and hes a dealer for amsoil, he taught me alot about oil, like i never knew royal purple has graphite in it and it will score your engine over time, and it proved true when a mutual acquaintance of ours was running it and on his supra and making over 800whp on royal purple and my friend said he would blow his motor... well... 3 months later he blew his motor, but even with all the other variables, the car was rarely driven, running an AEM EMS and on a safe tune, when they pulled the motor the block and crank were scored... so since than i'm even more of a believer in amsoil
He is not the only one making high numbers like that ther are plenty of other cars including evo's that make 600,700,800,900, and 1000+ HP that are running AMSOIL in their veins.

not only beause i am a dealer for AMSOIL but i tell you is the only oil i run in my powerplants, even when i was a dealer i will be honnest i was still reluctant to using AMSOIL in my evo, not the case now

Quick Reply: Which Engine Oil is the Best