Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please Help MIVEC Intake Cam install Questions???...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help MIVEC Intake Cam install Questions???...

hey ya'll,

A friend of mine asked me to install some consworth cams for him and also change the timing belt.

So everything has went smoothly until Now. Everything is in time at TDC. the only one I'm not sure about is the Intake cam gear. Because of the MIVEC it has about an inch of play (rotation) in the cam gear before it will start to move the camshaft. So I'm wondering how you would know how to set it at exactly TDC since there is play in the cam gear?

do you just line up the marks even if there is play in it and the MIVEC sensor will take care of it?

If anyone knows please share!!!

thanks,
John
Old Mar 31, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

nobody knows???
Old Apr 1, 2009, 05:31 AM
Former Sponsor

The cam gear will move the cam. so all you need to do is line up the marks so that the gear is in the correct possition in relationship to the exhaust cam and TDC.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GregGSC
The cam gear will move the cam. so all you need to do is line up the marks so that the gear is in the correct possition in relationship to the exhaust cam and TDC.
it will move the cam but has like an inch of rotational play. after that inch is up then it moves the cam. also if I move the cam gear back and forth in the inch of play I hear it trying to suction oil.

so your saying that inch of play is normal in the mivec engine and just to line up the TDC marks at any postion in the area that has the play in the gear?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

I called Greg at GSC and he was VERY helpful, Thanks Greg!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:50 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnboy1065
I called Greg at GSC and he was VERY helpful, Thanks Greg!
this in no way helps anyone else. i didn't want to start a new thread but have the same concern.

when installing the cams, where should the cam be in relation to the cam gear while installing the timing belt?? while installing cams or doing timing belts, the cams tend to move where the valvetrain want it until you use a wrench to center them. the movement of the cam gear makes this difficult.

if it is advanced or retarded fully at install, then the ECU can not make the correct adjustments. or am i missing something?

Last edited by kaj; Jan 13, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
prime up the oil pressure using 14mm socket on a drill ,turn it clockwise , put in the two hyd tensioner bolts as oil will come out through the holes , also blank the oil feed to the turbo so oil doesnt pass the seals as its not rotating . When the oil primes up you will see the pulley rotate slightly then time it to the rocker cover mark .
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:35 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by todd6027
prime up the oil pressure using 14mm socket on a drill ,turn it clockwise , put in the two hyd tensioner bolts as oil will come out through the holes , also blank the oil feed to the turbo so oil doesnt pass the seals as its not rotating . When the oil primes up you will see the pulley rotate slightly then time it to the rocker cover mark .

now we're getting somewhere! i've been out of the Evo game for a while and haven't swapped cams in .. about.. three years.
1. i understand priming the oil.. with a 14mm socket.. on which part of the engine? i know i'll think "duh" as soon as you tell me.
2. the bolt holes where the hydro tensioner mount aren't closed off and oil will leak? that sounds odd. have the tensioner mounted. check. but it has to be if you are setting the timing/installing the timing belt, anyway.
3. block the feed line to the turbo. got it.

great start on info and thank you very much! i think i may have gotten lucky on my last build. i put a mark on the pulley where the cam dowel was and had to "eye ball" it. i did not feel very comfortable doing it that way.
also, will the oil pressure center the pulley or advance it completely?

i'm a semi-experienced mechanic, but the MIVEC pulley system is rather new to me still. i checked the service manual and don't remember seeing anything about where to place pulley during the timing belt installation.

thanks again!

Last edited by kaj; Jan 13, 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

on the oil pump timing gear (small gear bottom right as you look in) you prob know but anyway make sure you time it correctly afterwards (balance shaft) easy way is turn the gear till the mark is at 12 oc clock position let it go,if it falls anti clockwise towards the timing mark its correct if it fall clockwise give it a full turn and try again .
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:51 AM
kaj

perfect, thanks. the balance shaft always worried me a bit because no way was I getting a screwdriver into the front of the block.
you are saying to check which way the balance shaft falls, correct?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
perfect, thanks. the balance shaft always worried me a bit because no way was I getting a screwdriver into the front of the block.
you are saying to check which way the balance shaft falls, correct?
yes thats correct .
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:24 PM
kaj

good info. gracias.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
good info. gracias.