Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

124k EVO IX MR maintenance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2009, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 133k on mine. I'd recommend the transfercase and tranny o-rings, rear main seal, front main seal, throttle body cleaning, pcv valve, IC pipe cleaning, intercooler cleaning, brake fluid flush, and power steering flush on top of what you're doing.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JKD
Only thing I think you should do thats not on your list is:

Replace coolant
Replace In-Cabin Filter (behind glove box)
coolant had to be replaced when the water pump was pulled. that was done. as for the air filter, i will do that soon too.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
I have 133k on mine. I'd recommend the transfercase and tranny o-rings, rear main seal, front main seal, throttle body cleaning, pcv valve, IC pipe cleaning, intercooler cleaning, brake fluid flush, and power steering flush on top of what you're doing.
i did the tranny/tc o-rings, and main seals, pcv valve, and throttle body...all of that is listed in the original post. the IC piping is being replaced soon, and the intercooler doesn't have 100k+ miles on it. it was replaced at around 50k miles, so it should be okay. i will likely do the brake fluid and power steering fluid soon.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
When was the last time you replaced the coolant hoses? The service manual calls for this at 60K.
hadn't thought of that. i'll look into it.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

i'm doing my 60k service, is it important to do the crank seals??
Old Jun 27, 2009, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
that's not part of the 60k service, but you could have them check the seals. i don't think i've replaced crank seals yet and i'm at 130k now. i replaced the tranny/tc seals, but that's about it.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just wandering why you were changing flywheels: the oem one and ACT's streetlite flywheels are within less than a pounds difference of each other.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're going to go through the trouble of pulling the front cover to replace the oil pump, that'd be the time to just yank the balance shafts out of the motor. As for other things to replace, I'd replace the axle seals in the trans while the axles are out.

I would never replace the head gasket unless it was blown; there's no reason to break that seal prematurely.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bigben
Just wandering why you were changing flywheels: the oem one and ACT's streetlite flywheels are within less than a pounds difference of each other.
Originally Posted by Nate
If you're going to go through the trouble of pulling the front cover to replace the oil pump, that'd be the time to just yank the balance shafts out of the motor. As for other things to replace, I'd replace the axle seals in the trans while the axles are out.

I would never replace the head gasket unless it was blown; there's no reason to break that seal prematurely.
you guys are a bit late. check the date on this thread. all this stuff was done months ago.

as for the flywheel, i didn't want to resurface another one, and the streetlite is actually cheaper than a brand new OEM. i had lockout problems with the exedy clutch i had, and i think it had something to do with a poorly resurfaced OEM flywheel. I didn't want to take the chance again, so i just replaced everything.

as for the seals, as i said in my last post, the tranny and tc seals were replaced when all of this was done. as for the balance shafts, the engine came with them, so they stayed. i didn't see a reason to take them out. I don't remember saying anything about the head gasket.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:55 AM

I only mention the balance shafts from past experience with 6bolt 4g63s. The more abuse they took, the sooner those balance shafts will cause a problem.

Having said that, another 15 years of R&D could have taken care of those issues, and the 7bolt Evo 4g63 might not have the same issue; not as many Evos have that high of mileage on them.
Old Jul 12, 2009, 07:37 PM

c

+1 on the timing belt, Fuel filter if not done at 100k miles, maybe power steering pump
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
At 60K I'd say no. Just check the seal locations to make sure nothing is leaking. Nothing should be. Think about doing seals at 120K.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
get oil analysis done
Old Jul 13, 2009, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

talk about bringing a thread back from the dead lol.

thanks for all the new advice, but like i said earlier in the thread, the maintenance was all done months ago.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bump.

What fluids have you been using in your transmission and transfer case & rear diff?

Quick Reply: 124k EVO IX MR maintenance