Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy twin disc hd or Quartermaster twin disc?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 01:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exedy twin disc hd or Quartermaster twin disc?

Hey guys,
I'm about to order my new clutch but I am contemplating between the Exedy twin disc hd or the Quartermaster twin disc..
Now I pretty much only do drag. I only plan on making right around ~500whp.. So what would you suggest? This is not my dd by the way. Thanks for any input!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
quartermaster. its simply amazing, i run it in my car and i have no complaints. its a bit noisy but its not that bad.

making 500whp will eat away at the exedy twin fairly steadily.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

I have a quartermaster, by far an amazing clutch grabs like a ****, definately takes some skills to this clutch if you don't mind a few stalls.. or more.. lol
Old Apr 3, 2009, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'm just worried because I heard it lasts a maximum of 15k miles before it needs a re-build.. Is this true?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

I just installed a new exedy twin and so far I am really happy with the way it handles. I am still in the break in process so I cant say how it feels when you launch it. I have heard many good things about both clutches.

For the two other guys with quartemasters, have you ever owned an exedy or are you giving your opinion on hear say?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

both clutches are amazing! I have never ran a quart but I hear mostly great things about them. As far as rebuilding them every 15k that should be a false statement as the quart is made out of the same materials the exedy td is and I have ran that for over 30k and never had any issues so im sure the quart is built to last as well.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Here's my review going from the Exedy twin HD to the QM twin disc.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ster-twin.html
Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nissan2Evo
Here's my review going from the Exedy twin HD to the QM twin disc.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...ster-twin.html
nice review.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

I'd go for the Quartermaster. I'm not sure about longevity...but even if it weren't good at least you know WHEN you'll have to tear apart for a rebuild. I toss it up every day...will my TOB clip pop off or not...?

Unless you go with something like the AMS exedy unit with the hydraulic TOB get something else with one.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 08:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
In our experience the Exedy will last a bit longer in regards to longevity, but as stated above you might run into tissues with the clip down the line. On drag race applications the QM is a great option as we have yet to reach its power limit. Either route you decide to go we have them in stock and guarantee the best pricing so be sure to touch base with us before you buy
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

I just got my quartermaster put in less than a week ago... I love it. Not sure why people say its noisy, I don't find it to be noisy at all. I am still breaking it in so I can't give a detailed review, but I saw a few posts mentioning the buttery smooth shifts, and its true. It does take a bit getting used to how it grabs but its not bad.

I will be posting a review of mine soon.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

LOL, ya this is the joy of it all, trying to decide and figure out whats best. Wish I had another Evo with a Quarter master, would let you drive both a little and see them both for yourself. exedy more popular, master the underdog that seems to do very well. I came to the fact that either would do very well. the Exedy makes the TOB very loud when you push the clutch in. Grabs very nice, clutch stiffness is not bad at all, I didnt even have to get use to it at all. Drove mine for a little over 1000 miles and then did the motor and checked it all out, mostly easy miles but a few launches and what and it was honestly just like new. Main reason I got mine was that I got it for a great deal here on EvoM, The quartermaster is an unsprung unit, so you will end up slipping the clutch allot more, little more harsh on drive train they say, Exedy is sprung, They say the Quarter will hold more power, The exedy can be built to a triple if needed, The quartermaster is cheaper to rebuild, Prob more available also, I have seen people not able to find exedy parts. Quartermaster has a different TOB, Some people have to setup a clutch stop point so they dont push the clutch in too far. Eexedy is a cool color that you never see, LOL Good luck man its a hard choice but really read all you can and then just get what you want, everyone will love their clutch that they have in their car. They paid good money for them they have to. anything I can help with pm me or you know where else to find me all the time. And about the exedy clip, ya reinstalling it the last time I broke it, So what did I do turned to the old stock unit that I have been keeping around and used the clip from it, Worked great and all is well. The exedy is easy to get use to very fast. Takes like no time, not like an ACT extreme PP

Last edited by DIDYSIS; Apr 3, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

I want to hear someone that has had a Quartermaster for 25,000 miles. no rebuild!!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

would you guys trust a Exedy for a 400whp dd?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Ya and some..........

Originally Posted by krisdlm
would you guys trust a Exedy for a 400whp dd?

Quick Reply: Exedy twin disc hd or Quartermaster twin disc?