Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Twin Disc Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm back! and thanks to TedB and his comments on the SPEC P-Trim I was convinced and purchased it!

First off let me say how awesome SPEC company and their customer service is... Everytime I called they were so informative and friendly and really made you feel comfortable in purchasing stuff from them... SPEC gets a 7million A+ with me...!

Ok, I just picked up my baby with the new P-Trim installed.... Let me tell you!! Amazing, engagement of each gear is smooth and it actually feels so much smoother than stock. You can tell the difference between stock and the the P-trim, the P-trim is a little more sturdier and it shifts like butter, so far I've driven it for about 20 miles and no chatter whats so ever...

Oh and by the way, I did not stall the first time as some of my buddies thought I would since it's a different clutch...

I highly recommend this clutch to anyone... It's a beauty!

Will post when broken in...

Last edited by Boricua_Evo; Sep 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:37 PM

Boricua, thanks for the kind words and the great review. I am glad that we were able to assist you and that you are so pleased with the parts.

If you all have any questions regarding this kit please let me know and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:46 PM

In reading back over some of the posts here I noticed that Ted referenced that the St had organic disc material. This is incorrect information and I wanted to insure that you all had the proper run down on the materials used for each Super-Twin option.

SST- uses a hybrid disc design with Kevlar on one face and a Carbon-Graphite Puck on the other (for both discs).

PT- uses Carbon-Graphite pucks on both sides (on both discs)

ST- uses a full-faced Carbon-Graphite disc material on both sides (on both discs)

ET- uses a Sintered Iron material on both sides (ob both discs).

Each of our Super-Twins use one sprung hub disc and one rigid hub disc except the ET which uses two rigid discs. I hope this info helps. Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Good, I'm glad that's finally cleared up. I was confused myself.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:34 PM

No problem at all! I am glad that I could be of assistance. I have heard from a few folks that asked me to join and start posting with info. That being said let me know if you all need anything else. Thanks,
Old Sep 22, 2009, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by SPEC-01
No problem at all! I am glad that I could be of assistance. I have heard from a few folks that asked me to join and start posting with info. That being said let me know if you all need anything else. Thanks,
My question would be when will you make the disc backing from billet aluminum instead of steel to make these clutches shift better at high rpm? thats all this clutch needs to be baddest clutch on market. Right now the shift abilty at high RPM is holding it back.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
My question would be when will you make the disc backing from billet aluminum instead of steel to make these clutches shift better at high rpm? thats all this clutch needs to be baddest clutch on market. Right now the shift abilty at high RPM is holding it back.
How high are we talking? Where do the Spec Twins see issues?
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didnt know they had an issue shifting at high rpms
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

hmmmmmmmmmmm........shifting issues????
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
In reading back over some of the posts here I noticed that Ted referenced that the St had organic disc material. This is incorrect information and I wanted to insure that you all had the proper run down on the materials used for each Super-Twin option.

SST- uses a hybrid disc design with Kevlar on one face and a Carbon-Graphite Puck on the other (for both discs).

PT- uses Carbon-Graphite pucks on both sides (on both discs)

ST- uses a full-faced Carbon-Graphite disc material on both sides (on both discs)

ET- uses a Sintered Iron material on both sides (ob both discs).

Each of our Super-Twins use one sprung hub disc and one rigid hub disc except the ET which uses two rigid discs. I hope this info helps. Thanks!
Thank you for posting this info. Can you point us to a website or illustrate the advantages/disadvantages of each model/material?

l8r)
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

I'm with the others.. How high are we talking about?

I just ordered the spec super twin ptrim over the exedy twin disc hd. I want to shift at 8k rpm constantly.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
That is the ONLY reason i didn't buy it. The high RPM shifting capabilities with this clutch. Don't get me wrong, it seems like a great clutch, it just needs to be a little lighter.

Any progress on making the mini twin in carbon? I had spoke with an "insider" who inquired about it for me.

Aaron
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by linjy2
I'm with the others.. How high are we talking about?

I just ordered the spec super twin ptrim over the exedy twin disc hd. I want to shift at 8k rpm constantly.
I think and have heard from someone else that 8k RPM shifts would be pushing it. You might and might not have issues. Most definitely over that. It's not a problem with the clutch, just the weight of it.

Aaron
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WHTEVO
I think and have heard from someone else that 8k RPM shifts would be pushing it. You might and might not have issues. Most definitely over that. It's not a problem with the clutch, just the weight of it.

Aaron
so the twin can't shift well over 8k? Would any of the singles spec clutchs do any better? Does anybody have the spec singles that could comment.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:12 AM
Account Disabled

Quartermaster is one of the best for high rpm shifting... never had it lockout on me as the exedy twin has done plenty of times

Quick Reply: Best Twin Disc Clutch?