Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Twin Disc Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
i have heard, either in this thread or another, of 2 people who were having slight troubles with high rpm shifting, just to chime in
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SPEC-01
...If you want "light" then for the Evo8/9 we currently offer a Mini-Twin that has a very low inertia and thus shifts even better than the Super-Twin. Of course the thing to remember is that not everyone needs a Twin-Disc clutch.
What is the torque capacity of the mini-twin versus the regular one, and what is the difference between the various twin-disc clutches you offer?

l8r)

edit: ok, found some of the info...

Originally Posted by E85evo8
SS trim is rated for 900lb/ft of tq. and uses a "hybrid" clutch disc where one side of the disc is full faced Kevlar and the other side is a 6 puck carbon metallic

P trim is rated for 1100lb/ft of tq. and uses twin 6 puck ceramic discs

ST trim is rated for 1200lb/ft of tq and uses twin full faced carbon metallic discs

E trim is rated for 1400+ lb/ft of tq. and uses two unsprund citered iron discs which is not recommended for the street

All the "trims" use the same sized discs and are virtually the same except for the friction material

They all use a Quater Master hydraulic TOB/setup as well...hope this helps!

Last edited by Ludikraut; Sep 23, 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/se...pressions.html

here's that thread i was thinking of
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:03 AM

A-Spec, MVP, Evo Power Mods (just to name a few)! Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Spec

I'd take the SPEC clutch anyday, yes I currently have it and have driven in some EVOs with Tilton and QM (Not knocking these, every clutch has it's purpose) and the best one so far is the SPEC, IMHO...

Shifts great!, sounds great, grabs each gear like nothing... Still breaking it in... I have about 190 miles on the clutch now. It had some down time since I had to change my CV boot and other things...

SPEC is a great company and I'm with TedB as far as clutches goes...
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:20 AM

94AWD, I certainly appreciate every opinion...and my statements were simply relative to my experiences with numerous customers that are shifting at high RPM with this unit. Does this mean that it is impossible for someone to have an issue? Of course not? Weak hydraulics, aerated fluid, and misadjusted Master Cylinders are three possible causes of high-rpm shift issues. I have already mentioned that the Mini-Twin is lighter and will thus shift even better as RPM's climb. Both options are available and for those seeking the lightest option available from us the Mini-Twin is readily available. I am working with the folks @ TTP in regards to Ryu's car, I am aware of his issue and will do all I can to work with them to assess it.

Kyooch, I will take a look at the link provided. Ryu is the only person that has directly contacted me with issue relative to RPM. Though I had seen reference to another case here and it looks like you provided the link.

As mentioned above we offer multiple options and this allow us to provide specific recommendation for your needs. Does everyone need a Single-Disc? No! Does everyone need a Mini-Twin? No! Does everyone need a Super-Twin? No! But, by offering diversity we are able to help you determine what best fits you.

I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any further questions!
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

whatever you do dont get the ACT HDSS im regretting it so much and now replacing it because it sucks....Cucsco twin disk gets my vote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:26 AM

Ludi, I have provided a link to our webpage with info relative to the Super-Twin and the Evo8/9. There you can find info relative to torque ratings and price. You can also use the "SPEC my Car" option to look at info on the Mini-Twin and Single-disc clutch kit.

For those that are looking for a quick answer the Mini-Twin is rated to handle 800lb.-ft of torque at the crank.

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Mitsu...004/Super_Twin
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

I still have no issues with my spec setup, and I turn my car to 8500 in 2nd 3rd and 4th. most of my shifting issues lie with me, and are somewhat influenced by the equipment on the car. I provided more info (up to date) in my review thread. I still like this clutch, and wish that there had been something similar to it available for my volvo
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hypnotiq9000
whatever you do dont get the ACT HDSS im regretting it so much and now replacing it because it sucks....Cucsco twin disk gets my vote
This is not a valid statement that describes why this clutch sucks...Can you be more specific?? It helps people to understand why it "sucks."

I do know two individuals with the ACT HDSS and they love it, never had an issue and I personally have driven them... Great feel...

What's your excuse? other then "This clutch sucks, I'm regretting it so much?"

Last edited by Boricua_Evo; Sep 23, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:59 AM

Linux, Thanks for the update! I was about to post on your other thread but figured I could keep all this in one place by posting hear. I am glad that you are pleased with the unit and its capabilities.

As a side note for others that are interested in the Super-Twin but want to shave as much weight as possible from the rotating assembly; we can build the discs for this unit with less pucks and set-them both up with rigid carriers. This will lead to a slightly more agressive engagement but it will bring weight down. Both 3-puck and 4-puck disc set-ups can be built. Again, I think this evidences our desire to provide you with the most options and best suited product for your needs.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 03:20 PM

I have a major shifting issue with the spec twin p-trim, that was installed on my evo ix MR almost 5 weeks ago.

After installing the clutch and started the car, the car would not go in any gear, and it was grinding my syncros so much. We pulled the trans out again to measure the clutch disc thickness and all that, and we found they we alot thicker than the spec that spec gave us which is 0.320.

This clutch ended up costing me lots of money.

The owner of the garage and i talked to Spec tech and they were trying to blame the issue on the garage and the install part.

Now after bleeding my car more than 30 times, i have been able to use the car, but it's so hard to shift between gears.

The people that installed my spec twin clutch are professional in EVOs and they have been workng with EVOs for years now, so i'm very sure it is not their ERROR.

I'm having the same issues as other members that are having, hence the other evo guy from TTP.

Everytime i talked to Jermy from Spec, he would just talk about his 20 years of experiance and how his clutchs are the best.

I paid 2 times for labour for the clutch, and now i need to buy a new clutch to be able to shift normal.

i will not write off the $1500 i paid as a loss, i will get my money back!

Kind Regards,
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ sorry to hear about your bad luck

I drove my car for the first time today in two weeks ( new motor, trans etc etc with the spec twin p-trim)

My impression is absolutely fantastic. granted I have to get used to the pedal pressure and engagement. each gear is absolutely butter( with the shep trans)

Now I will say this... if you have not adjusted your MC accordingly, the car WILL NOT go into to gear, period.... so make sure your system is well bled and the MC is adjusted properly.
In my set up, it ended up being 4 threads left. This will however change once the discs are broken in and clearanced accordingly.
p.S This is my first time using a twin disc, I have used every other single disc under the sun for the dsms and by far this clutch IMHO looks extremely promising .
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:50 PM
Account Disabled

Tilton twin cermaic IMO....love mine
Old Sep 23, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

im with this guy.......but i have similar stories, jeremy does his job....i gotta hand that to him. if this thread starts to get nasty.....i'll have to stay tuned!

oh....and quality control issues noted 3 times now!

Originally Posted by T51R SPL BB
I have a major shifting issue with the spec twin p-trim, that was installed on my evo ix MR almost 5 weeks ago.

After installing the clutch and started the car, the car would not go in any gear, and it was grinding my syncros so much. We pulled the trans out again to measure the clutch disc thickness and all that, and we found they we alot thicker than the spec that spec gave us which is 0.320.

This clutch ended up costing me lots of money.

The owner of the garage and i talked to Spec tech and they were trying to blame the issue on the garage and the install part.

Now after bleeding my car more than 30 times, i have been able to use the car, but it's so hard to shift between gears.

The people that installed my spec twin clutch are professional in EVOs and they have been workng with EVOs for years now, so i'm very sure it is not their ERROR.

I'm having the same issues as other members that are having, hence the other evo guy from TTP.

Everytime i talked to Jermy from Spec, he would just talk about his 20 years of experiance and how his clutchs are the best.

I paid 2 times for labour for the clutch, and now i need to buy a new clutch to be able to shift normal.

i will not write off the $1500 i paid as a loss, i will get my money back!

Kind Regards,

Quick Reply: Best Twin Disc Clutch?