Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Twin Disc Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Twin hands down. Feels like stock, but can handle hella power.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 03:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
SPEC Super Twin LT. It's what I have in my car now. As street friendly and quiet as the Exedy, but with greater power holding capacity and unlike the Exedy, it's a push type - no circlip to come loose. One sprung, one unsprung hub, and graphite hybrid discs. I couldn't be more satisfied.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Ted, is that clutch quiet? Have you shifted at high RPM yet? design looked very good.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 04:13 PM
EvoM Guru

It isn't an ultra low mass clutch like a Tilton, but it can be flat shifted. It is very street friendly. It is quiet. I can't stand a clutch that makes the car sound like an old broken VW. Drifto and I both have them (a few others do too), and we've seemed to settle the clutch question.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Ted, is that clutch quiet? Have you shifted at high RPM yet? design looked very good.
See, idc if my car sounded like a fart while shifting, as long as i know its gona get the job done and is top of the line, then im good lol guess its just driver preference

but anyway it looks like i will be getting the Quartermaster Twin
Old Apr 3, 2009, 09:31 PM
EvoM Guru

No, not while shifting, ALL the time. Even idling at a stop, it sounded like parts were falling off the car both on the inside and outside. On decel, it was horrible - sounded like a terrible, incurable exhaust rattle. With the QM, yours will too (Drifto had one). Also, the car had no torque because the clutch was too light, too grabby with zero slip capablity. In the hills, it just took the fun out of driving it.

Now, there's no more of that. The clutch behaves more like a stocker (except with much more holding power), and the car is fun to drive again. If the car is a dedicated track car, it's a non-issue. But for something that works on the street, it makes a difference.

Anyway, I've given the benefit of my experience, so that's that. Beyond this point, I don't care what clutch anyone buys. All I know is what works for me and my 600+whp capable street setup, and for anyone who wants to follow suit, you can save yourself the headache and expense.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
No, not while shifting, ALL the time. Even idling at a stop, it sounded like parts were falling off the car both on the inside and outside. On decel, it was horrible - sounded like a terrible, incurable exhaust rattle. With the QM, yours will too (Drifto had one). Also, the car had no torque because the clutch was too light, too grabby with zero slip capablity. In the hills, it just took the fun out of driving it.

Now, there's no more of that. The clutch behaves more like a stocker (except with much more holding power), and the car is fun to drive again. If the car is a dedicated track car, it's a non-issue. But for something that works on the street, it makes a difference.

Anyway, I've given the benefit of my experience, so that's that. Beyond this point, I don't care what clutch anyone buys. All I know is what works for me and my 600+whp capable street setup, and for anyone who wants to follow suit, you can save yourself the headache and expense.
hmmm, i checked out the SPEC Super Twin LT, it looks pretty sweet. You recommend that this will last longer and perform better than the Quartermaster twin?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 01:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it cud last longer but i highly doubt it will perform better than qm ..
Old Apr 4, 2009, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

How does the HKS Twin measure up compared to these other clutches? Will it hold 700hp in a street car that will likely never see a drag strip? I've read that it is a nice street clutch, but I've never seen what it can actually take. I'm trying to decide between a quartermaster and the HKS.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by haseeb
so you would go qm?
Old Apr 4, 2009, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Haseeb has a QM on his vehicle I sold him awhile ago.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

getting the QM from MAPerformance! thanx adam

ill let you guys know how it goes
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:27 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by haseeb
Well, Drifto has had both the QM and the SPEC DD on his car, at the track, back to back, and I'll let him tell it to you like it is. In short, you would not be able to pay him to put the QM back in the car.

And on the street, there is NO comparison.

Once again, telling like it is, from someone who's had BOTH.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone with a Carbonetics want to speak up? Kinda curious about that clutch myself.

Though I'm definitely going to have to look at the SPEC now!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Laxman
Anyone with a Carbonetics want to speak up? Kinda curious about that clutch myself.

Though I'm definitely going to have to look at the SPEC now!
carbonetics doesnt make parts anymore i heard?

Quick Reply: Best Twin Disc Clutch?