Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Twin Disc Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
Reports on the street/strip performance of the Carbonetics are good, but that isn't the problem. The biggest drawback to the Carbonetics clutch is the rebuild cost, which is about the same price as a new one. Unless you really want to fork over $2k+ install every time that one needs to be rebuilt, I'd stay away.
Ted thanks for your input on the Spec twin but in regards to re-build pricing what can we expect to rebuild the Spec for and are/will parts be readily available when the time comes?

Originally Posted by lillev23
When I had my 35r powered talon, I had a quartermaster 7.25" twin disc installed. I daily drove it and it absolutely sucked @ss, but it held alot of power on the track (also very inexpensive). When I got my evo I installed an Exedy HD twin disc. I also daily drive it, and besides the clutch chatter, I can barely tell its a twin. It almost drives like stock. Very easy to launch (low 1.6 60ft easy). Cheap and reliable-Quartermaster. Reliable and easy to drive-Exedy.
I agree as we have many cars come threw the shop with QM's and Exedy twins and for a primarily street drivien car i'd def like a sprung hub twin of some sort which i should have gotten in the first place although i don't know if it would hold the tq/hp my car puts out now.

The QM does what it's supposed to w/ no frills and is fine so long as you don't mind adjusting your driving style to keep the noise, chatter, and rough engagement down.

70% or more track use the QM will suit your needs just fine

70% or more on the street and i'd look elsewhere.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetSweeperIX
Just got the Exedy twin sd on my 400+ MR dd and I love it... I think pedal pressure feels exactly like stock so no issues there
You are maxing this clutch out. I put down 305tq on a mustang dyno(probably 400 at the crank), and now my SD is slipping 20k miles later. No launches, but alot of "from a roll" goes.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PATRICK B.
Ted thanks for your input on the Spec twin but in regards to re-build pricing what can we expect to rebuild the Spec for and are/will parts be readily available when the time comes?

I agree as we have many cars come threw the shop with QM's and Exedy twins and for a primarily street drivien car i'd def like a sprung hub twin of some sort which i should have gotten in the first place although i don't know if it would hold the tq/hp my car puts out now.

The QM does what it's supposed to w/ no frills and is fine so long as you don't mind adjusting your driving style to keep the noise, chatter, and rough engagement down.

70% or more track use the QM will suit your needs just fine

70% or more on the street and i'd look elsewhere.
well put!
like i said,
i dont care about sounds or how hard the pedal is or any other complaints
i can deal with it all as long as i know it will do its job
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

i bought me a QM twin and drove my friends evo ix wit GT35R and its awsome and feels just like stock and he said he has 20,000 miles and counting and he races at the strip so i would say that isa good choice....
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
SPEC does everything in house and to order, so availability is never an issue. As for the rebuild, IIRC, it's about the same as a Tilton, which is very reasonable. If there were concerns about either of these, I'd have never considered it.

Sure. The difference is that now, the clutch I have does everything it did, but without the noise, chatter, and rough engagement. For those who are interested in having the best of all worlds, I'm just telling them what's now available. For everyone else, just keep following the herd.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Indeed, the SPec looks cool.
But I got a better price on the QM
so if i deal with the noise to save some $$$ i can deal
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm looking for a twin disk also my tuner/mechanic told me to go with the Exedy Twin disk
Old Apr 11, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

SPEC Super Twin LT. It's what I have in my car now. As street friendly and quiet as the Exedy, but with greater power holding capacity and unlike the Exedy, it's a push type - no circlip to come loose. One sprung, one unsprung hub, and graphite hybrid discs. I couldn't be more satisfied.
I cant find the LT trim. I'm looking at spec website and all i see is http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Mitsu...004/Super_Twin

--Josh
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

A little late into this thread but I have a carbonectic twin plate(carbon) with 1350kg pp. If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM
Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SwiftEVO
I cant find the LT trim. I'm looking at spec website and all i see is http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Mitsu...004/Super_Twin

--Josh
Just heard back from MPFab(DRIFTO) and Ted B meant to say the ST which is $1800.

Last edited by RevMoto; Apr 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

SPEC does everything in house and to order, so availability is never an issue. As for the rebuild, IIRC, it's about the same as a Tilton, which is very reasonable. If there were concerns about either of these, I'd have never considered it.

Sure. The difference is that now, the clutch I have does everything it did, but without the noise, chatter, and rough engagement. For those who are interested in having the best of all worlds, I'm just telling them what's now available. For everyone else, just keep following the herd.
This sure does sound good wish i knew about it back when i put the QM in.

If any of you find out more please let us know who to talk to.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:52 PM

Ted, how many miles have you put on the Spec?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Carbonetic carbon twin is a good option,I'd go with an Exedy HD twin,I've been running mine
for the last 20k and still feels great!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:07 PM

hmm.. just searched "Spec Clutch" and got some horrifying stories and blown trannies...
Old Apr 14, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
From searching around, I went QM from Maperfromance.

Noise...who cares?
Chatter...drive around it.
To light...give it more throttle.

I know everybody sees things differently, but that's how I saw it. I've owned and/or driven numerous types of twins and aggressive singles. Aluminum 8 pound flywheels and full weight chromolys. Noise and chatter sucks, but I hate blowing a clutch on race day a whole lot more. A light weight flywheel is easier to bog on a launch, but if it does bog, it's also quicker to get back up on boost.

There were only two clutches on my radar, the QM and the Tilton. I could get either for the same price and like that they are push type that eliminate the clutch fork.

It came down to rebuild price. A rebuild on the QM was $350 which includes new discs and a floater plate. If it all goes bad, I think you can get the cover plate for a few hundred more. It's common parts so getting the parts is easy as well. The tech guy from Tilton said if you need to rebuild a Tilton, it's more cost effective to just buy a new clutch.

Quick Reply: Best Twin Disc Clutch?