Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Twin Disc Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Adam ( mapperformance) , I will be posting indepth reviews as I always do .

p.s folks, adam at MAP can get the spec clutches if you so desire, at a great price
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im on stock clutch which is slipping now, i just bought an exedy twin HD from adam at maperformance but its still in the box.

with my setup (see sig) would u guys recommend the SPEC twin over the exedy?

thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by antilag_200

p.s folks, adam at MAP can get the spec clutches if you so desire, at a great price

MAPerformance.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah Adam from MAP is straight up. He'll take care of you that's for sure.

I got a QM from them and I am having some issues, he's doing everything he can to help me out, and it's not even close to his fault.

So don't worry he'll take care of you if you have any questions.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Koroshiya
Yeah Adam from MAP is straight up. He'll take care of you that's for sure.

I got a QM from them and I am having some issues, he's doing everything he can to help me out, and it's not even close to his fault.

So don't worry he'll take care of you if you have any questions.

details on this "issue?"
Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:34 PM

Ted, so SPEC somehow fixed all the issues I've been reading? Some of the problems made my jaws drop (clutch being stuck, blowing up, etc etc). If that's not the case any more, this would be a great clutch!
Old Apr 16, 2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by mrdecrypter
You are maxing this clutch out. I put down 305tq on a mustang dyno(probably 400 at the crank), and now my SD is slipping 20k miles later. No launches, but alot of "from a roll" goes.
So did you switch to a different clutch or rebuild your sd? Where can you find actual torque ratings for different clutches?... If I get 20k miles out of my SD with the amount of torque I made then I guess I should feel lucky, I just didn't think that the amount of power an SD could handle versus the HD was considerable enough to go with the HD... I drove a 500+whp XIII that had the HD around for a week and just didn't like using it daily, and I've seen an SD hold up on a 540whp evo for about 10k so far with no problems and it felt more streetable for my preference so I went with the SD so time will tell.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...9-shipped.html

I am now getting this clutch, I will let you know how it does! It sounds promising!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by antilag_200

do you have any updates on your P-trim Spec clutch? That version uses puck style clutches, correct? I'm leaning towards the SS trim which uses full face carbon kevlar or the ST-Trim which uses full faced graphite. I am interested in the details on the P trim as far as daily driving, noise, etc..
Old May 1, 2009, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No updates as of now, since I am waiting on the tranny to be built.

You are correct the p trim, is puck style discs. the disc closer to the flywheel is a solid disc and the disc closer to the tranny side is a sprung disc.

I know of one individual locally that is using the P -trim spec clutch. He has a 2.3 with a 3076 set up. he absolutely loves the clutch. From what he told me, is that the clutch has light pedal pressure and is very easy to modulate. ( he used to have a tilton)

Hope that helps
Old May 1, 2009, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sizzflair
Ted, so SPEC somehow fixed all the issues I've been reading? Some of the problems made my jaws drop (clutch being stuck, blowing up, etc etc). If that's not the case any more, this would be a great clutch!

You sold the STi?

This is Brunson btw.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Apparently, SPEC seems to have their act together here. Drifto worked directly with them to get this clutch right, as they are only 20 min down the road. So far, we're both completely happy with it. If anything happens that affects my opinion, I'll chime in. So far, it seems to give the best of all worlds for street/strip use. Mine is the ST trim with full graphite face.
Old May 2, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

I can't decide which Spec clutch I'm going to go with..SS trim (full faced carbon kevlar) or the P trim (twin cerametallic 6 puck discs). My evo is going to be a daily driver as well as a weekend drag racer, so I want good clutch life as well as holding power for my HTA 35r/E85 setup
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone have or know where to find the specs for the exedy twin. I think my twin may be on its way out and am wanting to have it looked at but need to find the min specs for the disc, pp, and center plate.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Apparently, SPEC seems to have their act together here. Drifto worked directly with them to get this clutch right, as they are only 20 min down the road. So far, we're both completely happy with it. If anything happens that affects my opinion, I'll chime in. So far, it seems to give the best of all worlds for street/strip use. Mine is the ST trim with full graphite face.
whats the weight?

Quick Reply: Best Twin Disc Clutch?