Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Twin Disc Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
It weighs pretty close to the factory clutch.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Competition Clutch Twin Disk Clutch good? Have anyone used this clutch?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:59 PM

yeah i have the exedy hd twin and take it into consideration they say the disc life is 3 months to 36 months depending on how you drive mine lasted about a year before i had to rebuild but i also beat the **** out of it. and rebuild cost 500 if your plates are good if not your looking at another 250 to 300 im not sure what the price on other rebuilds are. also if you get the hd and wnat to save some money in the long run as sooon as you feel the clutch start to go change the discs it will prevent you from having to change the plates do to heat spots from slipping or a welded tob in your wedge collar ha take it from my f up ha. but other than that deff recomend it besides the rebuild deff was worth it
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:28 PM

twin disks are the way to go if you can handle the noise
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a carbonetics twin carbon 1350kg clutch since 8000 miles and now I have 61k miles. This is driving the car hard and launching it 100+ times.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

The OS Giken TS2B feels slightly harder than stock pedal feel but it holds some serious horsepower & torque.
Assembly comes with the "pull to push" conversion kit as well... ...

Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:23 AM
Account Disabled

Best Twin = QuasterMaster and dont even think twice
Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:34 AM
Evolved Member

I have to agree that the QM is an awesome clutch! beat the ever living **** out of mine and my tranny shifts great with 83,000 miles of 400+awhp.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 02:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by vr4play350
twin disks are the way to go if you can handle the noise
This is true if you have a QM or Tilton. In my case, the noise was just one thing about these clutches that made them unbearable. Aside from the terrible rattling that's bad enough to devalue the car (IMO), if you live in the hills, you will be sorry.

The SPEC Super Twin I have presently is the only clutch this car will ever see from this point forward, period. It is a push type (no additional conversion required), has stock like pedal pressure, is easy to drive as stock, is rated for more torque capacity than you will generate, and is relatively quiet.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a similar clutch (PTT 7.25) with sintered bronze material and it is an amazing clutch to drive besides the noise. When adjusted properly it will be easy to drie and it shifts SOO awesome. However, I am wearing the disks out about every 7-8K miles. I have gone through two sets of disks in 15K miles. This is in a mid 12sec street car daily driver. I will not break and it will hold the power but it wears out quickly. The sintered iron material is longer lasting but the bronze material that PTT uses doesnt wear any of the mating surfaces and it didnt need anything but disks when I took it apart the last time. Also PTT offers free rebuild labor on all clutches for life. You pay for parts thats it. I was considering trying the organic disks this next go round but I think I will stick with what I know works as this one does.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:27 AM

Ted B. How much miles have you put on your clutch so far? I would like to know. I want to get a a twin that's quieter then other twins and can hold ample amount of power.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
I have a similar clutch (PTT 7.25) with sintered bronze material and it is an amazing clutch to drive besides the noise. When adjusted properly it will be easy to drie and it shifts SOO awesome. However, I am wearing the disks out about every 7-8K miles. I have gone through two sets of disks in 15K miles. This is in a mid 12sec street car daily driver. I will not break and it will hold the power but it wears out quickly. The sintered iron material is longer lasting but the bronze material that PTT uses doesnt wear any of the mating surfaces and it didnt need anything but disks when I took it apart the last time. Also PTT offers free rebuild labor on all clutches for life. You pay for parts thats it. I was considering trying the organic disks this next go round but I think I will stick with what I know works as this one does.

That is strange...I normally got 15-20,000 out of my QM before it would start slipping. And that was with lets say "spirited" driving. Although I only launched of the 6000rpm 2 step when needed...Lots of daily driving and drag racing. I got 8,000 out of it with a reused floater plate that I should have replaced but I needed the car back and didnt have time to wait for a new floater plate.

Last edited by tony gibson; Jun 10, 2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by evolution253
Ted B. How much miles have you put on your clutch so far? I would like to know. I want to get a a twin that's quieter then other twins and can hold ample amount of power.
I put about 7k miles on it before I removed the engine. When I pulled it, I mic'd the discs and check the floaters and flywheel, and there is zero measurable wear. Based upon that observation, I would expect it to go a long time.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

breaking in a Spec SS trim twin disc and can say that pedal feel is just like stock, and no "extra" noise that is usually attributed to twin discs. This Spec twin is the "entry" level twin and rated for 900lb/ft of tq. Both discs have one side that is full faced kevlar and the other is a "carbon metallic" 6 puck..pretty trick!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tony gibson
That is strange...I normally got 15-20,000 out of my QM before it would start slipping. And that was with lets say "spirited" driving. Although I only launched of the 6000rpm 2 step when needed...Lots of daily driving and drag racing. I got 8,000 out of it with a reused floater plate that I should have replaced but I needed the car back and didnt have time to wait for a new floater plate.
I think the bronze material doesnt last as long as the sintered Iron but it doesnt wear any of the components in the clutch. My pressure plate, floater and flywheel all looked brand new and had zero measurable wear on them. I think the sintered iron wil wear the compnents out faster and make a rebuild more expensive so I keep the bronze and change it every 6 months.

Quick Reply: Best Twin Disc Clutch?