Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Twin Disc Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The SPEC looks to be very tempting I might add!

If anything I'm greatful for this Thread! Let's keep it alive guys, this is great for people that are leaning towards Twin Disc in the future!

Last edited by Boricua_Evo; Jun 21, 2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:29 AM
BBC
Evolving Member

Does the Spec Super Twin work with the 6spd transmission? On Spec's website they only list a 5spd application. There is a 6 speed app for the mini twin btw.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motoxxx55
The OS Giken TS2B feels slightly harder than stock pedal feel but it holds some serious horsepower & torque.
Assembly comes with the "pull to push" conversion kit as well... ...

that has my eye now, and so does the spec, seems the spec is a pretty good way to go

does anyone know the rebuild price for a spec super twin?

Last edited by FX11; Jul 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:41 PM
BBC
Evolving Member

I called SPEC, the twin does in fact work with the 6 speed, this clutch has a different part number due to different bearing.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SPEC sounds like the real deal now to find a way to pay
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Not to go to far OT but does anyone run or know someone running the new "Mini-Twin"?
Old Jul 24, 2009, 12:19 PM
TS8
Evolving Member

Where do you guys buy the Spec Twin?? Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

I just put a HKS GDmax into my car. Feels good so far.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

WHat is the difference between the SS, P and ST versions? Pressure plate clamp force, driving feel, weight. I would like to know the exact weight of each one. I know the weight from the Exedy HD and stocker. WHich one would you go and why.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing I am 100% sure of is that the Exedy Twin Disk is too darn noisy for me. When you shift it sounds like a bunch of marbles in the tranny and at rest between inching up in a drive thru it sounds like a hub cap rolling past your car.

Everyone will tell you that you get used to it and you won't even notice but they aren't me and I'm sure pedestrians as well as neighboring cars at stop lights will think your car is about to fall apart.

I've also heard the QM and that is even worse.

Another thing to REALLY consider avoiding are those darn clips. They seem to be popping of so much that people are buying them from other vendors or adding multiple rings in an attempt to prevent the problem. That is complete horse crap if you ask me. These clutches have been around for years and the vendor still can't fix the clip problem?!?!? They won't be seeing any of my $$$$.

The discussion about the SPEC clutch has peaked my curiousity and it seems to address all my primary concerns except price.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 08:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The horrendous noise made by small diameter lightweight clutches (e.g. Tilton, QM, etc.) is IMO, enough to devalue a street car. There is a reason why they are considered drag race *only*. Been there, done that, never again.

The difference in the various SPEC Super Twin versions (AFAIK) is friction material. The P-trim (what I have) is Kevlar on both sides. I ran into a SPEC engineer today at a Benz/BMW repair shop, and let him know how much I'm enjoying the clutch. He told me they're selling a lot of them.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Spec seems like a great choice for DD. I also looked into OS Giken, mainly because it seems to be a popular choice in the high HP supra and rx7's so i figured it would work good with evo's.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 09:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ted, don't mean to make you repeat yourself, but want to be clear... ALL the friction material on the P-trim is Kevlar? Both discs, both sides? That would ROCK for a street clutch IMO. Should wear MUCH longer (slower) than the other twins too...
Old Jul 25, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

i just bought a p-trim spec twin from adam@maperfromance. Let me say they are a great shop and have great customer service. I needed this clutch quick and they somehow got it done when I called Spec themselves and they told me they couldnt get me the clutch as soon as i needed it.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

I love the driveability of my Spec ST, but I am having trouble with disengagement. I have bled it several times, and it still engages at the floor with the pedal adjusted as far out as it goes. Even at this adjustment it is still difficult to get the car in gear sometimes because the clutch isn't fully disengaging. I am going to order another brake res cap today from the dealer and build a pressure bleeder just to make sure the bleeding isn't the problem. It just seems like my master cylinder doesn't move enough fluid to get it to disengage. Anyway, I'll post the solution when I find it.

Quick Reply: Best Twin Disc Clutch?