Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Twin Disc Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
One thing I am 100% sure of is that the Exedy Twin Disk is too darn noisy for me. When you shift it sounds like a bunch of marbles in the tranny and at rest between inching up in a drive thru it sounds like a hub cap rolling past your car.

Everyone will tell you that you get used to it and you won't even notice but they aren't me and I'm sure pedestrians as well as neighboring cars at stop lights will think your car is about to fall apart.

I've also heard the QM and that is even worse.

Another thing to REALLY consider avoiding are those darn clips. They seem to be popping of so much that people are buying them from other vendors or adding multiple rings in an attempt to prevent the problem. That is complete horse crap if you ask me. These clutches have been around for years and the vendor still can't fix the clip problem?!?!? They won't be seeing any of my $$$$.

The discussion about the SPEC clutch has peaked my curiousity and it seems to address all my primary concerns except price.
Interesting. I codrove my friends' 450hp Evo with an Exedy Twin at autocross last week and didn't really notice anything, but that was very minimal seat time and not under normal driving conditions.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe you are more tolerating than I am. I do suggest anyone that plans to buy a twin to go make a friend with one installed and see how you like it.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Maybe you are more tolerating than I am. I do suggest anyone that plans to buy a twin to go make a friend with one installed and see how you like it.
My friend has the exedy twin HD and I didn't notice any weird noises other then the whine from his new quaife LSD going out lol.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Just for a tid bit of info. Anyone looking to pick up a Spec Twin, I have them available! Let me know if your interested in picking up a SS-Trim or a P-Trim! Also have the higher trims available.

As far as I'm concerned the Spec has the best setup, though I haven't personally drivin' one alot of my customers rave about them with no issues!

-Adam
Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Adam, maybe you can shed some light on this question I asked Ted:

Ted, don't mean to make you repeat yourself, but want to be clear... ALL the friction material on the P-trim is Kevlar? Both discs, both sides? That would ROCK for a street clutch IMO. Should wear MUCH longer (slower) than the other twins too...
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Exedy all the way!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeus
Adam, maybe you can shed some light on this question I asked Ted:
Yes the p-trim is all kevlar.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

nice thanks...
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

I just purchased the SPEC P-Trim, I will chime in as soon as it arrives and installed, thanks to TED B for convincing me!

A lot of my EVO buddies are going with SPEC and all are impressed!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

i have a spec super twin.......i loved driving it.....it holds power awesome and works hella smoothly!

Last edited by SPECJUNK; Aug 27, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 01:35 PM

Exedy works great for me =)
Old Aug 27, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

i had an exedy tripple(pull type) before the spec, and i prefer the push type. i really hate that throw out bearing!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've read this entire thread and from what I'm able to gather, the Exedy HD, Spec ST, and QM are the three leading candidates. I will ultimately be around the 475whp/475wtq mark which is roughly 545 crank hp/tq. I believe this pushes the Exedy beyond its limit leaving the Spec ST and QM. I spend most of my time on the streets and back roads of Texas but go to the track about 1-2 times a month for the sheer spirited nature of driving. I currently have the ACT 2600 so regardless of going with the Spec ST or QM, anything is better than what I have, right? I'm no clutch guru but I do like the sound of having a push-style versus a pull-style that the Spec ST delivers.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by pure_evo
I spend most of my time on the streets and back roads of Texas but go to the track about 1-2 times a month for the sheer spirited nature of driving.
I wouldn't even consider a QM unless you really didn't care if the car had poor manners in regular street driving and generated horrendous rattling noises.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

ive driven the spec, and the quartermaster, the spec has alot more inertial weight, so it drives alot easier than the qm.....spec makes a smaller version, but i have no experience with it. the spec is a very quiet clutch compared to the exedy carbon that i had before, and as for longevity.....if you drive the qm and the spec the same, the spec will probably last much longer.

both have the same pedal feel, the spec engages more smoothly, and drives smoother. the qm will rev faster, shift faster, and wear out possibly faster.

Quick Reply: Best Twin Disc Clutch?