Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"Heavy Shockproof" review...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evovin
I use Heavy shock proof in my T-case not tranny

same here ^^^^
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
I'm pretty **** about maintenance so I change mine before a track weekend or aprox. every other track day. Yes its pretty frequent, but I also autox in between track days and my trans has over 100k miles on it so far and its holding up nicely.
i am the same way, i change my oils way before they are due, its just because iam that ****, for me is piece of mind.

however it can get expensive and i cant reccomend that to all my customers.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I personally use HSP in the T-case, then I pour the remainder plus 1 quart into the tranny. I fill the rest with MT-90. No complaints on the shifting here. I changed out the HSP in the T-case after 3 track days and ~10k miles and it came out a bit pink instead of red when new. So probably decent timing on the change interval.

In my Nissan, I used straight HSP in the tranny for a good 40k miles before I sold the car with no issues.

That's just my own experience. I also tend to change the fluids often, keeps things operating nicely and cheaper than swapping out trannies and T-cases

Just to round out things, I use Redline 75w-90 gear oil in the rear diff.

My observation, the T-case fluid wears out the fastest, then the tranny and lastly, rear diff.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

The only problem I see is the sp tends to hold the dirt in suspension and thus can wear the bearings at a faster rate.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I rebuild trannies. I do not recommend shock proof fluids in the tranny. The solids simply do not stay in suspension long . All the gears act like mini centrifuge. The solids collect in all sorts of places that cause problems and improper function of tranny.

I love these "what oil to use in tranny " threads. here is a cold hard fact for ya. If you want good slippery fluid that protects the gears well the syncros will not work very well. Syncros are just like brake pads. They dont work well with a slippery fluid is between the gear and syncro. Conversely if you have a fluid that shifts very well then it is likely not protecting the gears very well.

If you have a fluid that works well cold, it is not protecting the gears when hot. Ideal fluid should be hard to shift when cold and work well when oil is at operational temps.

there is also one other interesting fact I came across. I was using a sythetic fluid for some used trannsmissions and noticed sweet shifting characteristics. Then when same fluid was used in fresh rebuild it was horrible at best.When you change fluid and good half quart of old fluid remains. There will be very small metal particles in that old oil that allows a new very slippery oil to shift well. The slippery oil in new trans with no oil oil mixed in shifted horrible.

This may be one of the reasons people have varied results with different fluids. The second reason is temperature of weather is never offered in feedback. Temp plays a huge roll here. I live in florida and the fluids I use work great in the heat, but are a bit annoying getting through warm up period during 50/lower degree weather.

And a third reason these threads offer quite a bit of confusion is the description "notchy" can be included in a description of fantastic shifting tranny. wish I had time to expand on that. but would take too many pictures to get point across.
good info. Ive got a fully rebuilt trans, new gears, syncros, slider hubs, bearings, running MT90 and it feels pretty average warm, terrible when cold. I wonder if trying a diferent fluid will help or maybe the trans needs to "break in" at all?