Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

"Heavy Shockproof" review...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Heavy Shockproof" review...

well i know the many talked about fluids on this forum, and i have read reviews on them all. but it seemed like no-one has really run the HS in their 6 spd trans'.

sooooo,

i work for a mazda racing center. we strickly build mazda SCCA cars. and i go to talking to a guy at the last Seabring event about the "heavy Shockproof" fluid he was running in his R34 awd trans that he has in Newport Richey. and he couldnt say enough about how well it holds up to heat, wear, etc. so long story short, i swapped my mt-90 out for some "melted Crayola Brick Red crayons"(aka: heavy shock).

the first thing i noticed immediately is how much quieter the trans became. i run a 4 puck sprung disc and the gear clatter was a bit noticeable on decels and such. but now, it just feels/sounds more "cushioned" per say.

the trans shifts just as smooth as with the oem fluid and even better than mt-90 imo.

the car is my DD, and see's its fair share of gravel road drifting, off roading, anything fun i feel like doing with it. and the heavy shock has been a great addition to my long list of "Tuff Mods".

it is neither gl-4 or gl-5 rated because it is a synthetic gear oil, NOT JUST A CERTAIN TRANS FLUID. it doesnt have to conform to any ratings for synchros because its a gear oil that has this coating that doesnt soak deep into the metal and is not corrosive. and tbhwy, i think the trans just feels alot more stout, and ready for anything.

ive had it in the car now for about 3 weeks and it does what redline says it will and i have beat the car like it owes me money, and all is well.

just figured i would give a little "been there/done that" insight to those who are trying to decide on a new trans fluid.

btw:i'm at 327awhp/322ftlbs with the mr trans, a 4 puck, and 23 psi.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

i did not like the heavy in my 5spd, I mixed 2qts redline mt90 gl4 and 1 qrt heavy. I keep straight mt90 in the trans. and heavy in the tcase. and AMS Oil 75w90 synthetic in the rear diff. Everything is working real good, finally.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeamValorRacing
well i know the many talked about fluids on this forum, and i have read reviews on them all. but it seemed like no-one has really run the HS in their 6 spd trans'.

sooooo,

i work for a mazda racing center. we strickly build mazda SCCA cars. and i go to talking to a guy at the last Seabring event about the "heavy Shockproof" fluid he was running in his R34 awd trans that he has in Newport Richey. and he couldnt say enough about how well it holds up to heat, wear, etc. so long story short, i swapped my mt-90 out for some "melted Crayola Brick Red crayons"(aka: heavy shock).

the first thing i noticed immediately is how much quieter the trans became. i run a 4 puck sprung disc and the gear clatter was a bit noticeable on decels and such. but now, it just feels/sounds more "cushioned" per say.

the trans shifts just as smooth as with the oem fluid and even better than mt-90 imo.

the car is my DD, and see's its fair share of gravel road drifting, off roading, anything fun i feel like doing with it. and the heavy shock has been a great addition to my long list of "Tuff Mods".

it is neither gl-4 or gl-5 rated because it is a synthetic gear oil, NOT JUST A CERTAIN TRANS FLUID. it doesnt have to conform to any ratings for synchros because its a gear oil that has this coating that doesnt soak deep into the metal and is not corrosive. and tbhwy, i think the trans just feels alot more stout, and ready for anything.

ive had it in the car now for about 3 weeks and it does what redline says it will and i have beat the car like it owes me money, and all is well.

just figured i would give a little "been there/done that" insight to those who are trying to decide on a new trans fluid.

I use Heavy shock proof in my T-case not tranny
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Heavy shockproof is too viscous for the lubrication channels in most transmissions. At higher speeds, the final drive gear will pump it faster than it can be distrubited, causing it to puke out of the rubber overflow thingiemabober, basicly making a huge mess.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldnt recommend the Heavy in the trans.. It takes too long to warm up and for the some of the reason Eric mentioned above also.. We have found the Amsoil MTG has worked as good as anything in the trans.. I used to use Mt90 and have found the MTG amsoil to clear up sticky trans issues with a nice smooth engagement and it lasts being 100% synthetic..

Mike
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
Heavy shockproof is too viscous for the lubrication channels in most transmissions. At higher speeds, the final drive gear will pump it faster than it can be distrubited, causing it to puke out of the rubber overflow thingiemabober, basicly making a huge mess.
been there, done that. I agree with you 100%

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
I wouldnt recommend the Heavy in the trans.. It takes too long to warm up and for the some of the reason Eric mentioned above also.. We have found the Amsoil MTG has worked as good as anything in the trans.. I used to use Mt90 and have found the MTG amsoil to clear up sticky trans issues with a nice smooth engagement and it lasts being 100% synthetic..

Mike
I experienced the exact opposite, ams oil vs. mt90, mt90 takes the cake for me, as long as its changed in short intervals. I had the sticky/notchy shift feel for the entire duration i used ams oil.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeamValorRacing

sooooo,

Good deal - I am a firm believer in HSP as well

I run 2 (MT90) w/ 1 (HSP) in my 5 speed, I have for 40k+ miles now. I have found it is the best combination of all the other fluids I have tried. I change my fluid about every 12k miles and I find less shavings on the magnet with that combo than I have with other trans fluids I experimented with. Shifting has always been smooth, I even run this combo through winter with minimal hard shifting during warm up.

I still only run diaqueen in my tc and rear......
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

heavyweight shockproof is great stuff but I only run it in my TC and rear. the trans gets RP 75w-90 full syn and loves it. The key to longevity is frequent fluid changes, especially if you race a lot.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

When you guys say frequent changes, how many miles are you referring to? How frequent would you change the trans/tc fluid in a daily driver?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 08:33 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I experienced the exact opposite, ams oil vs. mt90, mt90 takes the cake for me, as long as its changed in short intervals. I had the sticky/notchy shift feel for the entire duration i used ams oil. [/QUOTE]

thats odd, every single customer has switched to AMSOIL for that solely reason smoother shifting.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sluggo
When you guys say frequent changes, how many miles are you referring to? How frequent would you change the trans/tc fluid in a daily driver?
I'm pretty **** about maintenance so I change mine before a track weekend or aprox. every other track day. Yes its pretty frequent, but I also autox in between track days and my trans has over 100k miles on it so far and its holding up nicely.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
I experienced the exact opposite, ams oil vs. mt90, mt90 takes the cake for me, as long as its changed in short intervals. I had the sticky/notchy shift feel for the entire duration i used ams oil.

thats odd, every single customer has switched to AMSOIL for that solely reason smoother shifting.[/QUOTE]

yeah, maybe I'll give it another shot in a couple weeks.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run the heavy in the t-case and mt-90 in the gearbox, Diaqueen in the rear. As per Shep recommendations.

My trans is not perfect, but it's decent enough to not warrant a rebuild. It's really just flat shifting where I get lockout sometimes. Is there an oil I can switch to that might help? You guys are recommending Amsoil MTG? Have you guys specifically seen customers getting locked out quick or flat shifting and then switch to Amsoil and it be significantly better?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

i also mixed about .25 quarts of hsp with .50 diaqueen in the t-case, and let me tell you, there is less "shudder" and "pull the one side or another" when launching. its like the heavy shock cured alot of my issues i was having with my drivetrain.

i have seen photos of the "residue" on the casing walls etc, but you have to remember, that as with most heavy build fluids, when cooled there will be a residue untill warm fluid is flung into it where it will then mix back in and be fully usefull.

i think this is absolutely great stuff so far. i might just mix another .25 to .50 diaqueen and throw it in the rear diff as well. :-)
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I rebuild trannies. I do not recommend shock proof fluids in the tranny. The solids simply do not stay in suspension long . All the gears act like mini centrifuge. The solids collect in all sorts of places that cause problems and improper function of tranny.

I love these "what oil to use in tranny " threads. here is a cold hard fact for ya. If you want good slippery fluid that protects the gears well the syncros will not work very well. Syncros are just like brake pads. They dont work well with a slippery fluid is between the gear and syncro. Conversely if you have a fluid that shifts very well then it is likely not protecting the gears very well.

If you have a fluid that works well cold, it is not protecting the gears when hot. Ideal fluid should be hard to shift when cold and work well when oil is at operational temps.

there is also one other interesting fact I came across. I was using a sythetic fluid for some used trannsmissions and noticed sweet shifting characteristics. Then when same fluid was used in fresh rebuild it was horrible at best.When you change fluid and good half quart of old fluid remains. There will be very small metal particles in that old oil that allows a new very slippery oil to shift well. The slippery oil in new trans with no oil oil mixed in shifted horrible.

This may be one of the reasons people have varied results with different fluids. The second reason is temperature of weather is never offered in feedback. Temp plays a huge roll here. I live in florida and the fluids I use work great in the heat, but are a bit annoying getting through warm up period during 50/lower degree weather.

And a third reason these threads offer quite a bit of confusion is the description "notchy" can be included in a description of fantastic shifting tranny. wish I had time to expand on that. but would take too many pictures to get point across.

Quick Reply: "Heavy Shockproof" review...