Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay Catch Can

I was looking for the $25 ebay catch can and found one close in price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVE...ayphotohosting

Is this another mod in comparison to headstuds as "cheap insurance?" Are many of you running a catch can?
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:54 PM

^ +1 on this
Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm using an eBay catch can, although its not the one you linked. The one you linked too and the rest of them on there use poor quality tubing that will melt and deform. Plus they usually don't have any material inside to help actually trap the oil.

I'm using this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-S...Q5fAccessories (eBay seller whitesandsperformance)

I've just put it in-line using the factory tubing and it works great. My catch can has caught a decent amount of oil over the past 10 months, I'd say about a tablespoon. This is oil that would have ended up in my intake, turbo, IC piping, etc.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

^ I like how that one shows you how much oil you've collected
Old Apr 7, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by recompile
I'm using an eBay catch can, although its not the one you linked. The one you linked too and the rest of them on there use poor quality tubing that will melt and deform. Plus they usually don't have any material inside to help actually trap the oil.

I'm using this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oil-S...Q5fAccessories (eBay seller whitesandsperformance)

I've just put it in-line using the factory tubing and it works great. My catch can has caught a decent amount of oil over the past 10 months, I'd say about a tablespoon. This is oil that would have ended up in my intake, turbo, IC piping, etc.
I made one just like this and it cost me 15 bucks, I put some steel wool in it so it will trap the oil in there. I have collected some oil in there too, glad I have the homemade catch can there.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look in the How-To section on Oil Catch Can towards the bottom. There's a how-to that can be a lot cheaper than the ebay one. I made it myself and it's looking great
Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

You could have bought that at Lowe's for $15. I used the same thing for about a year. It worked pretty good. The downsides were that you had to empty it frequently, and it's not exactly nice to look at.

The hollow eBay catch cans, as well as many catch cans on the market are usless. Many people claim they don't see any oil in theirs. Two reasons: The breather side doesn't catch much in the first place. Not only that, they're HOLLOW! There is nothing to catch the oil. It's just going to pass though.

Buy 2 good catch cans, to use on both the PCV and breather, Or buy one good catch can to use on the PCV and some sort of cheap, replacable and clear fuel filter to use on the bretaher side. It's simple.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

U need something to catch the oil. The reservoir needs to be baffled. No baffling= you aint catching shiet.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
You could have bought that at Lowe's for $15. I used the same thing for about a year. It worked pretty good. The downsides were that you had to empty it frequently, and it's not exactly nice to look at.

The hollow eBay catch cans, as well as many catch cans on the market are usless. Many people claim they don't see any oil in theirs. Two reasons: The breather side doesn't catch much in the first place. Not only that, they're HOLLOW! There is nothing to catch the oil. It's just going to pass though.

Buy 2 good catch cans, to use on both the PCV and breather, Or buy one good catch can to use on the PCV and some sort of cheap, replacable and clear fuel filter to use on the bretaher side. It's simple.

I agree.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
You could get a nice baffled oil catch. But remember baffled or not it doesnt catch 100 % of the oil vapor.

If you truely want to keep your engine intake free from oil you need to do the following. By pass the the valve cover pcv from your intake manifold and intake pipe. Plug the intake mainfold nipple and intake pipe. Then either run breathers off the valve cover or run any catch can you prefer to avoid oily breather filter.

I'm currently venting to atmosphere, but I have no catch can. If I put my finger near the pcv tube I notice some accumulation of oil residue from the oil vapors in the blow by gas. I'll soon put a catch can with a vent to atmosphere breather so the accumulation wont drip from time to time.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM

what catch cans would recommend? So as far as the one in the pic, you wouldn't take a chance on that? I talked to the vendor on ebay about that particular catch can and this is what he said: Some of the ones out there have a polycarbonate filter element which can break and go into your engine. This one has a sintered brass filter element. I have not heard of, or seen one break. I also have not heard of the bowl having any problems. I have sold and installed over 1000 of them. I hope that helps.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

The thing about that "catch can", though it works, it's not a catch can.

I use an Elite Engineering catch can, originally designed for Corvettes. It uses stainless steel wool packed into the inlet chamber and then the oil vapor must pass through, what they call a "diffuser" and make an immediate, upwards turn, to exit. I doubt any of the stainless steel wool is going to end up in the engine. It's nearly impossible...

Like BluEVOIX said, there is not one catch can that will catch or stop 100% of the vapro. Some are better than others. That cheap air/water seperator is GREAT for the money. But if you use clear hoses, after awhile you will see the hose out start to turn brown. If you're on a budget, I see nothing wrong with running one. But a good REAL baffled catch can is a much better choice. Saikou Michi (I always forget the correct spelling) is a great one... (search DC3 catch can), and of course the Elite Engineering one that I have.

For the breather side, like I said, just use a small, clear, in-line fuel filter. They're anywhere between $2-3 and need to be changed maybe once every other oil change. You won't catch much on this side anyway, that's why it's not as important, but it's still nice to have something there. I use a long line from the filter to intake so it make the oil vapor take more turns and get trapped on the walls of the tube if it makes it past.

I hope all of what I said made sense