Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Powertrain Technology Twin Disc Clutch Kit or QuarterMaster Twin Disc

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi sorry but i wanted to ask something... I have been researching the Powertrain clutch and comparing it with the comp and quarter master and yes they are basically the same but I have doubts about the TOB of the powertrain. And i was looking on the disks since i my mechanic told me he knows a guy that have had a powertrain twin clutch daily driving it and occasionally on drag events for sometime now and told me it was a good choice for DD since their disk were thicker than the others and last more, and told me that guy bought and hydraulic tob and it works even better for DD. I did a research and found that early models of PTT disks were .250 thick but now they are just .200, will this make a difference with performance vs durability?
PowerTrain is it push or pull??
whats the difference between hydraulic and linkage TOB?
And depending on the answer to the previous questions if possible where can i buy a PTT clutch with .250 metallic disks and push TOB or Competition or quartermaster with the same specificatios as before .250 metallic not ceramic disks push TOB?

Thanks in advance for any info u can give me and for explaining and clarifying all of my doubts.

Last edited by Destin_sinner; Jun 19, 2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used a tilton hydro TOB with my PTT clutch in my evo. It was a sweet driving clutch but if you do a lot of miles it wears down fast if you use the sintered bronze material. The iron will last longer but it will be grabbier and it will eat away at the floaters and cost more to rebuild. The clutch is also very noisy. Shifts like a dream and will not break. My only issue was it caused a lot of wheel hop when trying to slip it due to the solid hubs. I much prefer a sprung hub. I want to get the HKS twin with a sprung hub next time if I do a twin on my car. I will sell my whole PTT setup if someone is interested.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

I run a QM and it's awesome. The rebuild
kit is very affordable. I got 14k miles out of it.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

What's the lifetime on one of these clutches compared to an exedy twin disc, car being dailied and drag raced?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:42 PM
Account Disabled

QM all the way... Some will argue that it isnt daily driver friendly but once your use to it its totally fine...
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Wanna sell your clutch?

Don't mind me, Nothing to see here.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Werd
What's the lifetime on one of these clutches compared to an exedy twin disc, car being dailied and drag raced?
2nd. Sorry to bump an old thread. I'm looking into PTT clutch as a replacement to my stocker. I'm considering the organic disk with the standard tq plate because it wont be too overkill for my setup but it wont be over powered later on. Should I worry about the lifetime of the clutch with the organic disk ? Or should I just get the Metal disk and not worry about it?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I spoke with PTT they didn't recommend the organic discs for anything other than mild upgrades (350 ft/lbs I think?) as they just won't hold the power. If you decide to go with the cerametallic let me know as we are a PTT dealer
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
When I spoke with PTT they didn't recommend the organic discs for anything other than mild upgrades (350 ft/lbs I think?) as they just won't hold the power. If you decide to go with the cerametallic let me know as we are a PTT dealer
Thanks Chris, I contacted your sales staff with questions about the PTT clutch. I will be in touch with you when I'm ready to buy.