Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Changed BOV back to stock MR = no boost -- need help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE: Changed BOV back to stock MR = no boost -- need help (actually the Clutch)

UPDATE: 04/02/09

Well I should have listened to myself at first.... After all the suggestions, changing the BOV, Flipping the BOV (thinking it was backwards, it wasnt), checking all hoses, clamps and Boost leak checks everything seemed fine. Meanwhile the car was getting worse (but how).... So I let me buddy drive (known as n00dle here on eveom) and he confirmed that it was the clucth the moment he drove it..... and when he told me, it hit me like a ton of BRicks I am at almost 80000 miles and have never changed the Clutch... and then my memory goes back to the when I first got the car (2004) and the reports of how easy it was to ruin the clutch on these cars........ SOOOO I called a few places, Harrman Motors and Road Race...... they took a while to get back to me so I took it to the dealer in panic as the car was really slipping and getting worse..... They confirmed it was the Clutch and had it replaced in a oneday (Great Job HB Mitsu) . Of course after the car is on the lift at Mitsu, Road Race calls me and gives me a GREAT qoute.....Too bad car was l aready getting worked on.....But next time Road Race is where I am going......

So in Conclusion - I think it was just coinsidence that when I started changing my parts around I started pushin the car to test it, and thats when I noticed the slipping (at the time I thought was really bad turbo lag), but it was just my clutch going out on me, and I had to much tunnel vision to see that, and that it was the parts I had just changed up...... So now I have the car and it drives like the day I first got it......

I want to thank all those who chimed in to help, that is why I love this community, you guys are all so smart and very helpful when a Dummy Member like me gets in a jam......

OK Guys I had to replace my BOV to a stcok BOV when I got a ticket, and since then my car has been acting very weried under BOOST or should I say almost no Boost. I replaced everything back to normal, to get things back to normal (i think) but it still is acting up. Here is what its doing...

At first I noticed that the car had no BOOST unless I REALLY PUCNHED it , then my Boost guage needle finally would go over 0.0 bar max out at 1.1 bar. Also felt that the car was SLIPPING (Like an automatic transmission), but i know its not that, but its like a MAJOR Turbo LAG..... and its everytime, light load or heavy load..... NO SES lights, or idle issues (that i can tell)..... this whole time I was not sure If I was imagining my problems or what as I never have been good diganosing Turbo issues as its my first Turbo car, and other than a bent wastgate acctuator,, that many evom members and Scott got right in helping me here on these very same forums.... (Here is a link for old times sake https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-help-me.html)

anyways...

next was when I would test run the car and PUNCH it and MAX it out my car as much as I could, I can get it to almost 8500 RPM and my car was not cutting itself off, like it used too.....I never have removed the stock cut off function and it would usually work at 7500 or less, now NADA....

Then yesterday I noticed something I know is not right, when reving the engine at the parking lot, and I mean reving it hard, I was able to get the BOOST gauge needle to go past 0.0 bar and to almost 1.0 bar..... I stopped shortly after, and then I new something is not right, as the BOOST gauge should never go past the 0.0 point on boost gauge under no load right?

So here is a summary

I changed my Greddy Type S BOV to stock MR BOV to get a ticket fixed, but the car was not Boosting unless I pucnhed the car very hard. I put everything back to it was before the car was acting up, and It still is acting up.

My Guess are these, but I need TRUE experiwenced Turbo members to point me in the right direction. I know its something I did, just do know what

Could I have crossed Vaccum Lines and they are in the wrong ports on the intake? I tripled check this, but the hoses seem to be long enough to go where thay are currently are.

Could it be my BOV is bad?

Is this a Boost Leak? I neer had one, so I dont know what to look for

If anyone can help or tell me what to look for I would really appreciate it. I can at least be armed wiith some info when I take it to a mechanic. Scott if you are reading this, I would glady PAY you to check this out, as I know you are good with these engines...

Last edited by mr0072003; May 2, 2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Have fixed the car and want to update the thread with findings
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:38 PM
Account Disabled

You should do a boost leak test to see if everything is sealed up tightly. Have you tried to put the other BOV back on to see if the problem goes away?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Did you install the stock BOV correctly?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Im guessing boost leak or the stock bov is on backwards.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think a reversed stock bov would cause a problem like this. It will make a funky sound, but will have no trouble boosting.

My guess is that you inadvertently disconected/loosened something while switching bov's. The fact that you had the same problem after reinstalling the greddy rules out a faulty stock bov.

Take it apart again and look closely. You may have pulled on something that is not directly near the bov.

Also, a few pictures wont hurt.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

also, make sure to make the hose clamps snug, seems like a leak.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cars making more power with stock DV causing the clutch to slip!! JK

could your clutch be slipping?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Put the other one back on to see if it goes away. See if the same symptoms occur, then go from there. Seems like a possible leak or something else loosened.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Wow thanks for the repys guys... Yeah I think that something loosened could be it as all this started when I started changing things around. To answer some questions yeah I put everything back to normal before my problems and problem was still there. I even put my stock intake and problem was still there. Will take pics asap and see what u guys think. But could I have loosened is the big question?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
How about putting the greddy back on to "test" ...it should take you all of 5-10mins? Then get back to us.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Major boost leak! Do you hear any loud whistling when you spool up? Do a boost leak test cause maybe you might be leaking at the licp, which my car had. Good luck!
Old Apr 17, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

YEAH THAT SEEMS LIKE A BOOST LEAK A MAJOR BOOST LEAK
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

yeah I am guessing BOOST leak too...

evoryder, I already put back on the Greddy back on but with same result, so must keep checking..... Can I go to Auto zone and have thos guuuys do a boost check?
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on the boost leak test

also, do you hear a noise after hard acceleration when letting off the gas? (a noise that sounds like a supra's bov). if so, your car is surging because the bov is on backwards.

get some photos up
Old May 2, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Bump for the update