Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Grinding after trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stock is much better. Get it through Russell at Mitsu on here
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:44 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
over 1500$ in mtg last, every single customer has come back to say how nice their tranny shifts.

make sure your clutch is well adjusted, and your syncros are ok
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:44 PM
JKD
Evolving Member

I have used stock Diaqueen and the Amsoil that is pictured. I cannot tell a difference in transmission shifting or "feel" between the two types of fluids.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Can't go wrong with OEM fluids for drivetrain components. I would dump it and put Mitsubishi fluids back in.

Diaqueen FTW +1
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

I just ordered some Amsoil

Are the grinds consistant? Sure it's not just you? I mean no offense, but not matter how good you are at driving, you can still be off by 1/100th of a second and grind and/or mis-shift.

I'd suggest doing two things. Let it go and see if it gets better. It's possible those few pulls you did you may have just been a little off. OR, go back to OEM fluids and see if it still grinds. If it still grinds with OEM fluid consistanly, then you know your issue isn't the fluid.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

whats the part number for the oem fluid? i called buschur and they gave me one for a 5 gal. and the 5 gal one cost like 200 dollars from the dealership.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

part # MZ313501 for 5 speed or MZ313376 for 6 Speed

I use 6 speed oil in all my trans overhauls. I have never had a problem.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Are the grinds consistant? Sure it's not just you? I mean no offense, but not matter how good you are at driving, you can still be off by 1/100th of a second and grind and/or mis-shift.

I'd suggest doing two things. Let it go and see if it gets better. It's possible those few pulls you did you may have just been a little off. OR, go back to OEM fluids and see if it still grinds. If it still grinds with OEM fluid consistanly, then you know your issue isn't the fluid.
In my case I change all fluids every season. The car sees quite a bit of track time.

For me it was the fluid and not the car. I went back to the OEM stuff and shifting back to normal.

I've had a couple evo's so I've tried all the popular choices.... the redline cocktail, Pennzoil sychromesh, GM sychromesh, royal purple, and now AMSOil.

My EVO8 didn't seem to care what fluid I put in it. The thing always shifted the same. But the EVO9 seems much more sensitive. I don't know what it is about the OEM stuff but it just works better in my car.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

The Amsoil MTG is a little bit notchy in my VIII like Jeff said when it's cold, but once you drive it for a few minutes it goes away. The main plus that I noticed was the sound of the transmission got a lot quieter with the Amsoil.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Well I know what I'm not using on my next tranny fluid change.. jk
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

i now this is a noob question but, i need to kno the best way to drain all the transmission/transfercase fluid and rear diff fluid on my '03 evo viii gsr. im also thinking of using royal purple. i use it in my engine with no problems so far. any advice is much appreciated!
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SleepySamurai13
i now this is a noob question but, i need to kno the best way to drain all the transmission/transfercase fluid and rear diff fluid on my '03 evo viii gsr. im also thinking of using royal purple. i use it in my engine with no problems so far. any advice is much appreciated!
any advice would be greatly appreciated, and is there any type of filter in the transmission/transfercase that needs to be changed?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I recently replaced all my drivetrain fluids with Amsoil. My transmission seems to go into gear more easily than before. Its not a huge difference but I have heard only good things about amsoil so I figured id give it a try.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, and is there any type of filter in the transmission/transfercase that needs to be changed?
OT but ill give you a head start. No there is no type of filter to change when you replace the oil. Just make sure to pull the metal shavings off of the drain bolts. Search around on here and you will be amazed at what you find.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:02 PM
Former Sponsor

I haven't heard of any issues with the Amsoil, although I must admit that we haven't used any with Evos here at the shop (we just started getting into Evos though so that's also not saying much). In my IX I switched to GM Synchromesh @ 15k miles and I'm about to try out the Redline cocktail. If things are bad I guess I'll switch back to OEM fluids which I do still use in the rear diff and transfercase.
-Alex@ECS
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I recently replaced all my drivetrain fluids with Amsoil. My transmission seems to go into gear more easily than before. Its not a huge difference but I have heard only good things about amsoil so I figured id give it a try.

OT but ill give you a head start. No there is no type of filter to change when you replace the oil. Just make sure to pull the metal shavings off of the drain bolts. Search around on here and you will be amazed at what you find.
Dude thanks though, cuz these dudes at advanced auto were trying to sell me a transmission filter and i was thinking, there isnt a filter on manual transmissions that i know of, so i didnt buy it! any tips on how to properly drain all my trans/transf.case/rear diff?