Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

broken spark plug, head damage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2009 | 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

broken spark plug, head damage?

So just for the hell of it me and my friend decide to do a compression test on my motor. Oh and my car only has 11k miles on it, bought it with 5k miles. We take out all the spark plugs and the Cyl 2 plug has half the ground strap missing!! Like theres no metal above the electrode only very little right after the "hook" part. So we do the compression test and the numbers came up like this...
Cyl 1 - 140
Cyl 2 - 125
Cyl 3 - 145
Cyl 4 - 135

I really couldn't find what spec is supposed to be but I found it for a 2g dsm (7 bolt) standard was 178 and service limit was 133. Im so pissed right now. I dont know what to do from here either bring the car back to bone stock and take it to the dealer or just take he head off and send it out to someone like Buschur to get it built. Im pretty sure theres gonna be head damage like the valve seals or valves themselves and theres probably some pitting on the top of the #2 piston too if not others. I hope theres no more damage than that. I need to have a cyl leak down test done anyways. The weird thing is is that the car was running fine, no miss firing or anything to suggest something was wrong. What should I do.
Old Apr 18, 2009 | 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

ive heard if compression is 5-10% away from each other, your in the clear

i see that you only have 11k, id try to contact people on thier compressions.

could be alot of dmg for 11k

Last edited by Clutchdc5; Apr 18, 2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

I have an 05 with 44k miles. I did a compression test 2 weeks ago and got 185/183/177/188. IIRC Evo 9 compression numbers run lower than the 8's.
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

If the car is running fine, put in the new correct plugs and keep running it.

If you're truly ****, repeat the compression test. Do a leak down test if you want to confirm condition of the valves, etc. Take a look with a borescope if you want to see whether there was any damage from the loss of the single spark plug partial electrode. I'd not worry too much about it, unless you're having problems...
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

ok, im going to let the car get to full operating temp and redo the test with my friends tester, im kinda doubhting my tester for some reason. With it warm it should help the rings seal a little tighter so I can get more accurate numbers and just to see if theres a difference. Im still dumb founded that the car wasn't making any kind of weird conditions or noises and how it wasnt miss firing. Im thinking that if by some chance the piece broke off and flew out with the exhaust gasses after the combustion cycle and miraculously missing the valves, seals etc. there must be damage to the exhaust wheel on the turbo. Maybe some scuffed/chipped/dented fins.
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

The car wasn't warmed up before you did the first test?
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
If the car is running fine, put in the new correct plugs and keep running it.

If you're truly ****, repeat the compression test. Do a leak down test if you want to confirm condition of the valves, etc. Take a look with a borescope if you want to see whether there was any damage from the loss of the single spark plug partial electrode. I'd not worry too much about it, unless you're having problems...
yeah I guess, im probably going to have a cyl leak down test done just to be 100%, if that comes up fine then ill put it out of my mind.
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evolessfornow
The car wasn't warmed up before you did the first test?
no because the car is on jack stands since I changed all the fluids, changed my springs and just in general was doing alot of work to it. This was just a spur of the moment kinda thing and when I pulled that plug out I was like wtf?
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by CNano8
no because the car is on jack stands since I changed all the fluids, changed my springs and just in general was doing alot of work to it. This was just a spur of the moment kinda thing and when I pulled that plug out I was like wtf?
Warming the car up is a must for compression testing. THis is part (if not all) the reason the numbers are low.
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

there you go kid. re-do test with car warmed up I TOLD U THIS lol
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbodreamz21
there you go kid. re-do test with car warmed up I TOLD U THIS lol
shut up george lol
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolessfornow
I have an 05 with 44k miles. I did a compression test 2 weeks ago and got 185/183/177/188. IIRC Evo 9 compression numbers run lower than the 8's.
i never heard about that??
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

The car has a burned valve. I can almost guarantee it. Your cylinder was getting far too hot, which burned the valve, which is causing the low compression. It also burned the spark plug, which is why the electrode has melted away. If you change out the plug, it will be bad again within a few weeks.
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

ok well I put them back in and got the car upto operating temp and redid the test.
cyl 1 - 152
cyl 2 - 140
cyl 3 - 155
cyl 4 - 149

I still dont know what spec is for the IX.
Old Apr 19, 2009 | 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rgeier11
The car has a burned valve. I can almost guarantee it. Your cylinder was getting far too hot, which burned the valve, which is causing the low compression. It also burned the spark plug, which is why the electrode has melted away. If you change out the plug, it will be bad again within a few weeks.
So how do I go about getting the head cooler? Is it to lean cause hotter cyl temps?

Quick Reply: broken spark plug, head damage?