Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Questions, ACT HDG6

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clutch Questions, ACT HDG6

Hey guys, looking for some guidance here. I've been researching clutches for a while now since I want to do it right the first time. The car won't be seeing much above 400+whp anytime soon, but will be AutoXd and Tracked quite frequently during the summer months. In the meantime, however, the car will still see DD duty.

I searched, and the ACT HDG6 seemed to be a great clutch, one that would fit into my needs quite well. I'm worried, however, about the longevity of a sprung 6-puck and ease of driveability for everyday life. Here are my questions...

-Should I be worried about longevity with the HDG6?

-Would the installation of a SS clutch line w/out a pill make it much more difficult to DD?

-What other clutches would be able to hold up to the abuse of AutoX but be fairly manageable on the street and won't break the bank?

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have zero issues DD'ing my HDG6. At that power level, you shouldn't wear that thing out too incredibly quick. Lots of people will chime in and say just get the Exedy...but thats 2000$ after install, whole lot more money then like 1000$ installed.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

I've ran this setup in my MR for 10K miles now. Multiple 1.6-1.7 60', no lock outs, no slippage, so far so good.

Clutch is only slightly trickier than stock clutch to start from a stop. My wife drives the car occasionally and doesn't notice a difference from stock to the ACT HDG6. It does have a slightly stiffer pedal but nothing like the 2600 ACT in my 2g DSM.

My car has been daily driven on e85 at 30PSI for the last 40k, 10K of which on this clutch. My car put down 377/377 on a dyno dynamics dyno stock IXs make 220hp on this shop's dyno.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not too concerned with drivability at this point. Rather, I'm more worried about longevity since it will be ~15k miles before my next AutoX/HPDE. What about the SS clutch line? Does anybody have experience with that? How would this help with feel?
Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We actually use this clutch alot and have no problems. Just make sure you do a new flywheel with it. It will help with engagement.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

How big is a room? How hot is a girl? Subjective questions, same as asking how long a clutch will last. If you drive like a douche and beat on the car all day every day, no clutch is going to last. I autoX'd and had 280whp on the stock clutch for a few years before it gave out at 21k. How often do you drive the car? As long as you're not launching constantly, and really beating on the car a lot, the HDG6 should last just as long as any other aftermarket clutch.