Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EBC vs MBC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2003, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EBC vs MBC

Okay,

So I'm wondering, most EBC's have LCD displays that will display your boost. If I pick up one of those, will that effectively knock out the need for a boost gauge? If I pick up a MBC, then yes, I will need a boost gauge... suggestions, anyone?

I'm wondering, because, yes, I would want to monitor my boost but it's not like I need to look at it everytime I drive (do I?).
Old Sep 28, 2003, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

I use both EBC and BOOST gauge reason why is sometimes THE DIGITAL is just SOOO FAST I mean the number CHANGE so fast that you dont really see whats going on. The Mechanic Boost Gauge is still the EASIEST to read for me.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 01:11 PM

I get all my work done at modern garage they share their building with COBB tunning and they told me that with certain EBC's you dont need boost gauges. I have an unused AVC-R still in original box that they said didn't need a boost gauge. If interested send me a PM, I'm going with a different setup
Old Sep 28, 2003, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

this is just my own preffernce but i like to have a boost gauge on top of the EBC display. i found out that it is much easier to monitor boost via the gauge than it is via the electronic diplay on the EBC. however in theory, you don't have to have a gauge if you have a boost display on the EBC.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evo32
I get all my work done at modern garage they share their building with COBB tunning and they told me that with certain EBC's you dont need boost gauges. I have an unused AVC-R still in original box that they said didn't need a boost gauge. If interested send me a PM, I'm going with a different setup

I had an AVCR myself, and they actually have a fake analog dial display that you can call-up as the screen view . Even though the digital numbers are hard to follow, many of the EBC's also have the ability to show peak boost, and will also screen flash red when an overboost alarm threshold is exceeded.

How much you asking for your AVCR? I never used my original one either, and sold it when I got rid of my WRX .
Old Sep 28, 2003, 03:19 PM

$375.00 pretty firm. I don't really want to lose too much money since I haven't even oppened the box. Already loosing $125
Old Sep 28, 2003, 03:27 PM
In Timeout

Location: My name is Ananda Robinson.Stupid people should be killed. i live in Maryland
Hey guys hows it going

You absolutely want a gauge other then the screen on whatever EBC you have. EBC's are cool and offer some cool functions that most times are not really required.

A ball and spring type MBC will respond as quickly as a EBC's solenoid. Im not sure how often you guys adjust boost. Personally I never adjust my boost setting once the car is tuned. There for an EBC is not needed for my application.

Idealistically you want to be able to monitor boost in relation to fuel pressure or A/F or both with a double or triple gauge mount. Again personally I have my FP and Boost gauge together so I can watch both rise together.

different car same idea
Old Sep 28, 2003, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Greddy profec b Spec II EBC. It stays in boost pressure (bar or psi, which ever you program) when you are not programing the unit. I have not needed a boost gauge for my application. It would be nice but would replicate what the EBC is already doing. It is true that the digital gauge is fast, but if it is tuned right, it is not a problem. It is very clear to read under WOT as the boost peaks. It will stay fairly steady to your setting with just a couple of 10ths fluctuation.

The unit has a warning and a limiter built in so overboost won't occur. If it goes beyond your limit set points it will go back to the wastegate minimum around 10 to 12 psi.

I find no reason to duplicate boost readouts for street driving.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Evolutionist,

That was exactly my reasoning, and I was in fact thinking of picking up a Greddy boost controller too.

Quick question on the ProfecB. Is it backlit blue, and flash red when it goes into warning mode? Or is the red a selectable backlit color?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zstryder
Evolutionist,

That was exactly my reasoning, and I was in fact thinking of picking up a Greddy boost controller too.

Quick question on the ProfecB. Is it backlit blue, and flash red when it goes into warning mode? Or is the red a selectable backlit color?
It is backlit blue with black digital numbers. It flashes red when you hit the limiter. Red is not a choice of backlit colors.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm running AVC-R. I think the boost reading on the EBC is too hard unless you mount it on the steering column. There is no warning function. The viewing area is very small.

I installed a 60mm Boost Gauge with warning/peak recording. I think the Boost gauge is way better.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

I got a question...if a MBC cost like $50-100s Where EBC cost like $300-500s even 600, then whats the difference then between the MBC and EBC except for EBC has nicer look than the MBC?

I mean both are suppose to do the same job right? I even heard that the MBC are much more accurate than some of the EBC? (sorry if im wrong)

just wanna know, I'm newbie into turbo n stuff =) Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2004, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

EBC = flexibility.

Usually you get a display, built in boost gauge, multiple boost settings, and other settings to help increase boost response. Also, EBC's usually have built in limiters to keep from overboosting, etc. It's preference I guess, but I personally prefer an EBC over MBC.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 03:49 AM

profec b

You can't go wrong with a Greddy Profec B which is by far the easiest, simplest, cheapish, most proven time and time again ebc unit. Holds boost perfectly and setting can't be any easier. Only has low and high setting and a balance knob to adjust the response of the turbo spool (mild to sharp). Comes with a very robust dual soleniod design. Easily adapt to even monster horsepower car like the GTR and Supras. Just get yourself this unit and a cheapish boost meter from Greddy or Apex. I prefer the Defi gauges because of their cool factor and automation. Simply a matter of preference.
Old Jan 8, 2004, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zstryder
EBC = flexibility.

Usually you get a display, built in boost gauge, multiple boost settings, and other settings to help increase boost response. Also, EBC's usually have built in limiters to keep from overboosting, etc. It's preference I guess, but I personally prefer an EBC over MBC.
Oh ok, thanks for the info, but I was thinkin if the MBC is much much much more cheaper and it works the same well almost the same as the EBC then why would peeps prefer EBC more to MBC, but yeah if it can prevent the overboosting,etc then that make sense

anyhow thanks for the info

Quick Reply: EBC vs MBC