Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam question...interesting. No power after 5k rpms?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam question...interesting. No power after 5k rpms?

Ok guys i'll start off by saying I've been through some car up's and downs in my 26 years but I had a situation that popped up after my cam install and im curious if anyone else had it happen to them. Here goes.
I had my cams (BC 272's)installed on friday at a reputable shop and went str8 to the dyno afterwards(a different place). Here comes the problem...when i was on the dyno my tuner(same guy i always use) noticed that my car wasn't making any power once the car hit 5k rpms. We trouble shot for a while and what he cam up with was the cam install was done incorrectly...citing that the sensors maybe off. The car was sputtering...idling wildly(more so than it should with cams) and would absolutely not "pull" after 5k rpms.

So today me and my buddy check everything. Timing....sensors...everything. All seemed to be fine and in perfect working order. We then put everything back together and let it be. On my way home tonight the car seemed to run...well...fine. It wasn'y idling wildly any more...wasn't sputtering and the revs/rpms were smooth as they were before. Other than the idle being a little rougher...which is expected it seemed fine. I tested it a few times at 5k...let it sit in third gear at 5k and then step on it and the car responds great now. Just like it did before.

Me and my friend changed absolutely nothing....all we did was check timing and take off and put back the sensors. Except for ONE thing. I reset the battery when we did this. My question is...if the shop that did the work ...not reset the battery when doing this....would it cause all of the symptoms I've described? AND have any of you had this problem?
I have always reset the battery/ecu for anything ive ever done for any car...simply to avoid something like this from happening. Would not reseting the ecu make my car a pos? Then simply back to normal with a simple reset? I want this to have been the problem very very badly but im still skeptical that the car would be jeckyl and hyde because of a reset. Lets discuss...and sorry about the long post! Please help!

Last edited by merlin00069; Apr 26, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Help me out guys. Bump.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:01 PM

the reset may have put the ECU into learning this is reccomended after many upgrades because it allows the ECU to learn how u drive and how the engine drives.
of course ur car could really use a tune with the cams.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Venividivichi00
the reset may have put the ECU into learning this is reccomended after many upgrades because it allows the ECU to learn how u drive and how the engine drives.
of course ur car could really use a tune with the cams.
I went to go get a tune directly after but with the problem i was having there was no point to the dyno...even the tuner didn't know what it was. We spent 2 hours trouble shooting. I guess im in denial but the reset is all it needed? Hard to believe ..although i want to believe it. Im going to get tuned at the end of this week. I just want to make sure the problem doesn't pop up again.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Apr 27, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

For every cam install that i've done, I always disconnect the battery.... Thats a tuff one to answer. May one of the sensors wasn't plugged in all the way or something?? If it's running good now I wouldn't really worry too much about it. You do want to make sure that any time work is being done to the car that the battery is disconnected (- terminal).
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dancarroll0283
For every cam install that i've done, I always disconnect the battery.... Thats a tuff one to answer. May one of the sensors wasn't plugged in all the way or something?? If it's running good now I wouldn't really worry too much about it. You do want to make sure that any time work is being done to the car that the battery is disconnected (- terminal).
Agreed 100%. And im stoked with the fact that the car is running as it should be...however should the problem come up again then i have a bigger issue since the sensors woeren't the problem.

I guess im just in disbelief that the ecu-reset could change all of it. Im riding the car like this for a few days and making sure the problem don't return. Then back to the dyno. Should i have the same problem on the dyno then i suppose i'll know whether or not that was the problem.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member