Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just changed clutch line and bled it, have question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009 | 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Just changed clutch line and bled it, have question

So I bought the WORKS stainless steel clutch line and just got around to installing it tonight. PITA!

I followed the detailed write-up on EvoMoto (including removing the restrictor plate and spring), with a buddy of mine operating the clutch pedal while I opened and closed the bleeder valve as necessary. He'd push the clutch in, I'd open the valve, wait for flow to stop, then close the valve, then he'd let the clutch pedal up. I kept my eye on the fluid level in the reservoir and topped it off (up to the top of the fill neck, not the bottom) when it would get close to the bottom of the fill neck. Rinse and repeat until I saw no bubbles coming out of the bleeder screw. None of the line fittings are leaking at all.

Now when I drive the car, the clutch pedal seems to depress "easier". Is this normal? I expected clutch feel to be more or less the same. The action seems good and it comes back up perfectly when I release it. Also, there seems to be about 2-3 inches of travel at the beginning of pedal movement where it is VERY easy to push and THEN the clutch pressure increases. Isn't that a sign of air in the lines or is this normal for having removed the restrictor? I swear we pumped and pumped and pumped and no air was coming through that line. We even gave it the goods one more time there at the end just to be positive.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 28, 2009 | 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

From: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Sounds like air in the line still. I would go to an autoparts store and get a vac bleeder. So you do not have to pump the clutch at all, but rather pull the fluid through. That will insure you get all the air in the line.
Old Apr 28, 2009 | 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

I also think you still have air in the lines this giving you that smooshy pedal feel. Air compresses really well and fluids do not. It could also be that your clutch pedal is out of adjustment. Have you tinkered with that at all?
Old Apr 28, 2009 | 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
I also think you still have air in the lines this giving you that smooshy pedal feel. Air compresses really well and fluids do not. It could also be that your clutch pedal is out of adjustment. Have you tinkered with that at all?
I had to adjust the clutch pedal height and since doing that it seems to be much better. We are doing brake lines in a day or two. When we do those I'm going to bleed the clutch line again.

I have the Motul Power Bleeder so I'll be using that. We didn't use it on the clutch line because I left it at my house by accident and I didn't feel like running home.
Old Apr 28, 2009 | 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

it took us 30 minutes to bleed my buddies stainless stell braided line when we changed his clutch and line. but we got it. i would try the vacuum bleeder....
Old Apr 28, 2009 | 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

rebleed