Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Cam and Spring Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Cam and Spring Purchase

So, after days of reading the forums and looking at cam and spring options I finally figured it out and made the purchase.
Mike@awdmotorsports helped me make the decision and hooked me up with a good deal. He had everything in stock and is shipping today.

Im going with GSC S2 cams, GSC beehive springs (stock retainers).

In the beginning I was thinking I needed titanium retainers and maybe even new spring seats. I was also going to pull the head and upgrade the head gasket.
After reading I found out the OEM head gasket is better than almost all the aftermarket ones available and can hold up to gobs of power and seals really well. Mike told me not to pull the head and to just replace the head studs one by one method and that they do this all the time no problems...saves time and money for headgasket and possible resealing issues.
He also mentioned that the GSC beehive springs are made to fit right up to the stock retainers unlike alot of other springs that require aftermarket retainers. The stock retainers are lighter than most aftermarket Ti retainers and are just as strong. Unless you have tons of lift and are spinning your motor over ~9000 RPM, it sounds like its really not necessary to upgrade retainers or seats.
Anyways, I hope this helps someone in their cam/spring research. maybe it will save you some money as I did. It saved me over $250.
Feel free to correct any wrong info i may have given.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Be careful of the one by one method on the headstuds. I have overheating problems a few days after I installed mine and now and I think the headgasket is the culprit.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on the new cam purchase man...I will be doing the same thing as you when the funds become available...
Old Apr 28, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

I really want to use this tool...
(Snap-On Remover/Installer, Metric Valve Keeper
Stock#: GA317)
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
BUT, if i tear apart my daily driver on the weekend and it turns out that puppy doesnt work.....
Looks so easy though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLfU0Cg47L4

I may order this one as well and just return it if i dont need it but just to have it as backup since I know it works. (Schley Products, Inc (SCH91400A) Universal Overhead Camshaft Valve Spring Compressor)
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?P...D&ProdID=37812

Last edited by TurboTylerIX; Apr 29, 2009 at 09:45 AM.