Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What do I look for in a BOV??

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do I look for in a BOV??

Ok so I decided not to go with an Evo X recirc. Even though it was only 50$. My reasons are my own :P

So I am looking at a few BOVs on craigslist but most of them are from Subarus. Do I just need to purchase the correct flange, or are they totally incompatable???

Also, what do u think about this BOV?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/1150791387.html
"Generic Typr RS BOV with Recirc adapter and horn never installed. It is BRAND NEW!! "

RS? is that a Greddy? I do not want to recirc. Just dump to atmosphere. So if later on down the road I want to try recirc, can I do tat with this BOV? What makes a BOV loud? I allready read a few threads but I am still not in the know =)
Old May 9, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so I was looking at a BOV which requires u to purchase a weldon flange AND an HKS EIDS.
Are the EIDS alwawys required when dumping to atmosphere? (To prevent boost surge?) Why do some kits not mention the EIDS?
Old May 9, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
never run VTA, always Recirculate. EDIS prevent ur car from stalling when u VTA, some evo's run VTA will stall when they come to a complete stop. Look for Bov like APS, Forge ect. search there is bunch of threads on this topic.

Last edited by Kdash106; May 9, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

So I keep seeing advertisements on EVOM about those HKS SSQVs. I guess tehy are better for somone who has a lot of boost. Anyway I see one em on ebay and I wanted to know about this. So it says that it does not come with recirc or a flange adapter.
I can later upgrade to recirc right? Where can I get a flange adapter for it and how much is that gonna be? Last question, this kit doesnt mention anything about the EIDS. Does that mean this is going to be a pain in the *** to daily drive, or can this EIDS thing be purchased also?
Old May 9, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kdash106
never run VTA, always Recirculate. EDIS prevent ur car from stalling when u VTA, some evo's run VTA will stall when they come to a complete stop. Look for Bov like APS, Forge ect. search there is bunch of threads on this topic.
If I was going to recirc, I would have allready bought this 50$ EVO X bypass valve. Lol I dont want to!

So if one was to VTA, the EIDS is pretty much required right?
Different vaccum setups or spring pretention is not going to help with the bogging problem? The EIDS is about 130$. Is it easy to hook up?
Old May 9, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

i had SSQV for a while but sold it because it was PITA to drive around with it, as for the flange, u can get one that will work with evo rubber intake for like 25-30 i think, and u can also get a Recirculated adopter for around the same. EDIS can be purchased too. Like i said, u should look in to APS or forge, if u really want the sound, either one of them has nice sound and get ur self a nice drop in or a cone Filter.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xearo
RS? is that a Greddy?
He says generic in the ad, so its most likely a Chinese/Ebay knock off of a GReddy RS.

Most all Mitsubishis will behave poorly when vented. Some stall and some don't which is why you won't hear of EIDS being mentioned all the time when people vent.

Why were you considering an X BOV? IS that a better upgrade then the IX JDM MR valve?
Old May 9, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

ANSWER= LOUDNESS only factor when looking for a BOV

get a forge or tial lol the best! or just get a 9 diverter with an open funnel intake for sound...
Old May 9, 2009, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
He says generic in the ad, so its most likely a Chinese/Ebay knock off of a GReddy RS.

Most all Mitsubishis will behave poorly when vented. Some stall and some don't which is why you won't hear of EIDS being mentioned all the time when people vent.

Why were you considering an X BOV? IS that a better upgrade then the IX JDM MR valve?
it is. its the JDM Evo X metal BOV.

Does EIDS solve the crackhead Evo effect?
Old May 9, 2009, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

can i just use the Evo X BOV and let it vent? I have heard enough things about Forge to go look into those. I hear alot of people looking for those!
Old May 9, 2009, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by alloutDSM
ANSWER= LOUDNESS only factor when looking for a BOV

get a forge or tial lol the best! or just get a 9 diverter with an open funnel intake for sound...
naaah me? an attention *****? nah never
Old May 10, 2009, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

You guys have GOT to see this: Its a comparison of BOVs.. Check out @ 51 seconds in to the video!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T7zglT9KHo

I really think the Turbo XS one is awesome!!! What do u guys think about that one? Here is a link to it: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop...lve-p-124.html

Will I have better driveability if I go head an get an EIDS too? are they compatible? How does that work?
Old May 21, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kdash106
i had SSQV for a while but sold it because it was PITA to drive around with it, as for the flange, u can get one that will work with evo rubber intake for like 25-30 i think, and u can also get a Recirculated adopter for around the same. EDIS can be purchased too. Like i said, u should look in to APS or forge, if u really want the sound, either one of them has nice sound and get ur self a nice drop in or a cone Filter.
why was it a PITA? im interested in getting one
Old May 21, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

If you guys want to VTA, go ahead and waste your money. There are too many threads about this issue to continue this discussion.
Old May 23, 2009, 01:04 AM

Go with the go fast bits BOV, it recircs and vents to atmo, i use it, you can adjust it to 100 - 0 or 0 to 100, or anywhere in between, i run 25% atmo and 75% recirc on it, never have any stalling problems. and it fits on all the factory hoses, no need to weld random BS

Quick Reply: What do I look for in a BOV??