Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help, someone rescue me

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2009 | 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mojo Motorsport
Top off the tranny fluid, if it takes a lot then you are leaking.
yea i am going to do that tonight! If it is tranny fluid...does tranny fluid run through the diff i was told it does. And can it leak through the axle oil seal and the giant o ring from tranny to diff still be good?
Old May 14, 2009 | 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

I just replaced my passenger axle seal. I am, however, having a hard time getting the axle to seat. I am starting to wonder if maybe it didn't seat correctly the first time and thus it leaked. I don't see why yours would leak again unless it was installed incorrectly, if you're sure it's coming out the axle seal. What would the other seals have to do with the axle seal leaking?

Last edited by Routybouty; May 14, 2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old May 14, 2009 | 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

yea i put it up on the lift today at class and took it all apart again and its for 100% sure my axle seal but why the **** does it keep leaking i know it was installed correctly! I am going to order another one and clean the area damn good with brake cleaner then re install it! If that does not work I will repeat and i will use silicone sealant in the mix I am tired of ****ing with a bs 12 doller piece of rubber lol
Old May 14, 2009 | 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Routybouty
I just replaced my passenger axle seal. I am, however, having a hard time getting the axle to seat. I am starting to wonder if maybe it didn't seat correctly the first time and thus it leaked. I don't see why yours would leak again unless it was installed incorrectly, if you're sure it's coming out the axle seal. What would the other seals have to do with the axle seal leaking?
Axle to seat? all it does is slip on over the "dummy shaft" the silver cover is just to keep debrees out of the seal i think? my cover is damaged or i should say bent out of a perfect circle a little bit i think i will order a new one of them too while im at mitsu tomorrow.
Old May 15, 2009 | 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Yea the axle "seats" on those clips on the output shaft. It just took a little more muscle than I felt comfortable doing. I had my neighbor come show me the ropes on it since he is an expert. To update I have no more leaks.

If that cover on the axle is out of round I don't know if that could cause any problems, but I would replace it. Is the surface on the axle and the surface on the T-case (where the seal sits) perfectly clean and smooth?
Old May 15, 2009 | 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

yea its perfectly clean and smooth what did you use to install the seal and did you have to remove the dummy shaft?
Old May 15, 2009 | 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

oh my fault..I see what you are saying no i have no problem getting my axle to get on there and seat its just the damn seal on the T-Case it leaks I have replaced it once with good luck for 3 hrs then went to **** again! It's for sure tranny fluid and not diff fluid thats leaking i put fluid dye in my tranny from napa to figure it out and bam! So tranny fluid does run through the diff because its leaking out my damn pass side axle seal!
Old May 16, 2009 | 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by precisionpsi9
did you make sure the axle is popped in all the way. You can just pop the axle out and the stub shaft to see if the seal is ripped this seal is pretty easy to replace. Its like a $3 part good luck!!
+1. twice my axles have been left out just a little bit causing a leak. take off ur wheel. take off the axle nut. bang in the axle with a rubber hammer till flush. then put axle nut back on
Old May 16, 2009 | 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyeVO
oh my fault..I see what you are saying no i have no problem getting my axle to get on there and seat its just the damn seal on the T-Case it leaks I have replaced it once with good luck for 3 hrs then went to **** again! It's for sure tranny fluid and not diff fluid thats leaking i put fluid dye in my tranny from napa to figure it out and bam! So tranny fluid does run through the diff because its leaking out my damn pass side axle seal!
Then one of the two o-rings on the t-case/transmission must be leaking, have you or are you planning on replacing those?
Old May 16, 2009 | 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

no but i was told tranny fluid runs throught the diff to lubricate the dummy shafts is this not true?
Old May 17, 2009 | 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

I have again ordered a new axle seal and this time i also got a new cover thingy and we will retry this!
Old May 17, 2009 | 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TyeVO
no but i was told tranny fluid runs throught the diff to lubricate the dummy shafts is this not true?
It could I'm not sure. I haven't seen one apart.
Old May 18, 2009 | 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

hmmm this is crucial
Old May 18, 2009 | 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

I am leaking in between the tcase and the trans somewhere, what seal would that be?
Old May 18, 2009 | 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

thats the huge oring if its between tcase and trann for sure i will get you a diagram with part numbers tonight around midnight indiana time from alldata!

Quick Reply: Help, someone rescue me