Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help, someone rescue me

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009 | 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Help, someone rescue me

So, I did a clutch job all went well but i now have a tranny fluid leak? Possibly front diff fluid? It drips hardcore out of the passenger side exle seal on the tranny the donut seal the dummy shaft goes through. I am unsure if its diff fluid or tranny fluid but i think it is tranny fluid...but it drops right onto the down pipe and burns off but leaks so much it drips everywhere...

1) Is it possible for diff fluid to leak out of the donut seal on the dummy shaft or is that just there to keep dirt out? Part number:MD755526

2) Or would it be the giant o ring that seals the tranny to the diff?

3) Is it even possible for transmission fluid to get into the diff to be able to leak from where its leaking from?

Here are some diagrams: that may help

Ignore the thread but pay attention to the diagrams if needed:
Here
Old May 10, 2009 | 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

I am have the same problem. I just got done with a new clutch and now it leaks from where I believe is the passenger axle seal. In the IX service manual it calls it an oil seal for what it's worth. I sent a PM out to RussellM from Mitsubishiparts.net. Hopefully he can get me the correct part #.
Old May 10, 2009 | 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

I have to do my clutch soon. I hope this doesn't happen to me. Is there any seals or bolts I should have or need to have on hand before I start?
Old May 10, 2009 | 05:05 PM

did you make sure the axle is popped in all the way. You can just pop the axle out and the stub shaft to see if the seal is ripped this seal is pretty easy to replace. Its like a $3 part good luck!!
Old May 10, 2009 | 09:17 PM
Plat Vendor

Originally Posted by Routybouty
I am have the same problem. I just got done with a new clutch and now it leaks from where I believe is the passenger axle seal. In the IX service manual it calls it an oil seal for what it's worth. I sent a PM out to RussellM from Mitsubishiparts.net. Hopefully he can get me the correct part #.
Ill be back in the office on Tuesday. Just a heads up
Old May 10, 2009 | 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

well i ordered a seal for the pass side it arrives tomorrow if its correct i will let you all know and take pictures etc...but my concern is is it possible for tranny fluid to leak thru the tranny into the diff and out the passenger side axle seal due to the "giant" o ring that seals the diff to the tranny?
Old May 11, 2009 | 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

picked up the seal today! I dont kn ow if i will try to install it tonight or not as i have a busy schedule 8-5 work 530-1130 school and i never get home till 12 so...
Old May 11, 2009 | 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

I had my clutch changed, and by the time I got home with the car, my TC started the death whine. Was told the little "O" ring got pinched on the re-install, and leaked my TC dry. If your leaking anything, Park it! Or pay for it. Just my 2c
Old May 12, 2009 | 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

replaced the seal it helped and fixewd the problem for like 3 hrs but it leaks again thru the same spot im guessing its my giant o ring around the diff to tranny
Old May 12, 2009 | 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TyeVO
well i ordered a seal for the pass side it arrives tomorrow if its correct i will let you all know and take pictures etc...but my concern is is it possible for tranny fluid to leak thru the tranny into the diff and out the passenger side axle seal due to the "giant" o ring that seals the diff to the tranny?
I don't claim to fully understand it but this I do know, tranny fluid actually runs through the center of the differential, it's weird but it does. It can get in to your transfer case if seals are damaged and if it does it will wipe out your transfer case ring and pinion. The seal in the transfer case directly behind the seal for the passenger side axle shaft keeps the tranny fluid out of the transfer case. I don't know how you damaged it but I think you may have. I don't know if that is defientely the seal you damaged but I would pull off the front cover to the diff and inspect asap. Like I said, if tranny fluid is getting in to your diff, the ring and pinion will be history in a few hundred miles. I don't mean to scare you and maybe the tranny fluid isn't mixing in but I would hate to see your diff trashed if you can prevent it. You may want to call up Shep trans or TRE or Jacks trans and talk to one of them, they would be better able to help you out.
Old May 13, 2009 | 02:06 AM

i had a similer problem,it turned out to be the axel oil seal
Old May 13, 2009 | 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

i replaced my axle oil seal and it fixed my problem but 3-4 hrs later of hard driving its back to leaking? this is what makes me think my giant 0 ring has gone out or was damaged and is letting tranny fluid into the diff and out the axle seal?
Old May 13, 2009 | 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

you didnt put too much tcase oil in there did you?
Old May 13, 2009 | 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

i filled it until it came out the fill hole?
Old May 14, 2009 | 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Top off the tranny fluid, if it takes a lot then you are leaking.

Quick Reply: Help, someone rescue me