Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! my EVO feels slow...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2003, 07:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well.. my experience with the air filter was the same, it seemed to lose power after I installed it.. after a few days it was normal again when the computer learned.. In open loop, it shouldn't feel any different anyway.. I notice occasionally my car feels low on power compared to other days.. The best guess I can figure for that reason is humidity and temp are having an effect and at part throttle closed loop, the ECU has to learn a little to adjust..

It seems like my car ran a little stronger immediately after an ECU reset.. then settled down to what I was used to afterwards.. However a boost gauge is definitely a troubleshooting requirement because your only pondering possibilities now..
Old Oct 1, 2003, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by alex_alex
hey, you mentioned Buschur. Are you running an intake right now? b/c i noticed the exact same power loss right after i put the intake on.
Nope, like I said, no engine mods on my car. This def has nothing to do with temp, humidity and all that. Right now it's about 30-40 degrees colder than the first few weeks I had my car. Also, I had my brother drive the thing for only his second time, (First was when the car was running strong) and he said it feels ALOT weaker. Boost gauge coming.....
Old Oct 1, 2003, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

I am pretty sure the Jap Evo's are spec at 280hp. It is a gentlemen's agreement between the car makers. All WRX, GTR, EVO, 350Z... are 280hp. However there is no restriction for torque. You can expect the next EVO and WRX to have the same 280hp and higher torque.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by alex_alex
hey, you mentioned Buschur. Are you running an intake right now? b/c i noticed the exact same power loss right after i put the intake on.
Did you bend the honeycomb on the MAS? Even a small bit of damage will rape the hell out of the performance and make the car drive like ***. If you did, pull the MAS, get an allen wrench of the same size as each honeycomb hole and use it to push the bends back straight again.

I have the BR MAS pipe and filter and the car has a stock feel according to my butt dyno. Sounds a hell of a lot stronger, though.

Josh
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Hypreshr
My car pulled like a bastard when I got it and after break-in, then one day out of nowhere it wasn't pulling the same. I can't here the turbo as much anymore, (no engine mods) and the car deosn't seem to spool up as quick or pull nearly as hard on boost. I don't have a boost guage yet, which I have to get, but I've check compression, which according to the service manual was great-165-170in all cylinders, and I checked and tightened all connections I could find, removed the intake box and removed the ziptie on the boost solenoid lines, and nothing has seemed to help so far. The dealer was not helpful, and the tech seemed to know less about the Evo than I did. He basically checked nothing, and told me to get a boost gauge and if boost is low to come back. ****in' stealerships. I'm waiting on a boost gauge, then I'll go from there. I'm in the same predicament, and I don't want to order my Buschur Stage 2 until the car is fixed and back to normal. This is not a situation of getting used to the power, it is now no faster than my old RSX Type S, which was pretty quick, but only mildly modded with only boltons and Hondata computer tuning. I may try to pull off the intake tubing and check out the turbo, but I'm not exactly sure what to look for that would indicate a shot turbo.
You should screw with the guy since he was such a dick. Hook up the boost gauge to the wrong spot so that it only shows like 14 psi max. Have him troubleshoot that. He should have got on the phone with the tech support that they have. I guess he either had too much on him mind or maybe he had too much pride to admit that he didn't know.

Josh
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

what is MAS?
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by raywong
what is MAS?
Mass air sensor. It meters the volume of air that comes in to the car so that it can add sufficient fuel to avoid running lean and melting pistons.

On the Evo 7 and 8, follow the intake track. You have the ram air scoop, the top part of the air filter box, the actual air filter, then the lower part of the air filter box. After that, there is a box that has a wire harness plugged into it, then it goes to the rubber acordian-style pipe that goes to the compressor of the turbo. Now, back up. The box that had the wire harness plugged into it....That is the MAS.

Josh
Old Oct 1, 2003, 04:27 PM

EVO VII Japan Boost Spec: 14.5 psi ave
USA EVO VIII Boost Spec: 18 psi ave.

The USA EVO VIII lacks of the ACD, AYC, the 6-speed gearbox and weighs 70kg more so at the very beginning they are not the same EVO.
The engine software should be different as the LEV emissions regulations are quite different also. Do not forget those cars are designed to run petrol with higher octane levels as well as lower sulfur levels.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Are the number of cats different?
How about position of the cats?

Originally posted by Oscar

The USA EVO VIII lacks of the ACD, AYC, the 6-speed gearbox and weighs 70kg more so at the very beginning they are not the same EVO.
The engine software should be different as the LEV emissions regulations are quite different also. Do not forget those cars are designed to run petrol with higher octane levels as well as lower sulfur levels.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Higher RON octane, but lower rating by our standards. Their 100 octane would be about like our 91 octane. It is like the difference between horsepower made on a dyno and SAE corrected HP numbers made on that same dyno.

I think htey run lower boost because of the weaker gas. With higher boost, there is more chance of knock, so they just make the power other ways.

I wouldn't complain that we got screwed or whatever because the US Evo isn't the same as the overseas Evo. At least we still have the 4G63 and 16g. Look at the STi. They went with a 2.5 motor, so part support will be a LOT slower for that car than with a Evo with a powerplant that has been in the US for over a decade.

Josh
Old Oct 1, 2003, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Those figures for the jdm evo 7 are not correct. Boosts to 1.3 bar(18.8) and rolls off to 1.1 bar (~16psi). Those are for a stock Evo 7 GSR and are actual readings from a jdm 7 on 90 pump octane gas (95RON). These are in keeping with what is typically experienced by other owners locally & overseas.

Last edited by jemm; Oct 1, 2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO
Higher RON octane, but lower rating by our standards. Their 100 octane would be about like our 91 octane.
Josh

The 100 RON (Road octane#) fuel that is available in Japan is equivalent to 91 MON (Motor Octane#). Pumps in the USA quote their numbers as PON (pump octane number#) which is (RON+MON/2). Japanese 100 RON fuel has the same octane rating as 95 usa pump octane gas.

We run jdm and export (euro spec) Evos down here (with excellent reliability) on 90 pump octane (95 RON) fuel.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with above - get a boost gauge. One other thing my friend told me, and it's true. You just get used to the power. My car feels "slow" after I drive it for a few days. I drive my fiances RSX, then get back in and it's like the WRC . Also, the car feels much faster from the passenger seat I think. Not saying you don't have a problem, just something to consider (maybe I'm nuts). Good luck getting it worked out!
Old Oct 1, 2003, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JT-KGY
Are the number of cats different?
How about position of the cats?

1 Cat in the same place as yours.

The GSR which is only supposed to be sold as a japanese domestic model only, has ONE o2 sensor on the downpipe. The RS2 which is the official export model to europe and the caribbean etc.. has another o2 senor post cat.

Remember that emission standards in Japan are not as tough as those in the States, in fact they are roughly equivalent to your 1988 Federal standards!!
Old Oct 1, 2003, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

The JDM 7 here are 280hp, 5-speed, ADC, AYC, 14.5psi. That's what we have here in Hong Kong.

Quick Reply: Help! my EVO feels slow...