Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cost of coolant flush?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lilevil
lol flushes are way more than $30 most places charge somewhere around $60.

BTW thanks for the write up i've always done flushes on my cars, but not quite like you explained.
Yeah I got mine at dealer for $70. Not too bad but I think I'll do it myself next time. I just didn't want to buy another fluid catcher and haul it somewhere and have to jump out in trunk. (I know stupid fear when they are sealed but ehhh..)
Old May 16, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know we can recycle oil...but is coolant a hazardous liquid that needs to be disposed of properly as well? just wanna know
Old May 16, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Call a radiator shop and ask how they dispose of antifreeze. I did this and was told that it could only be put down the sanitary sewer. But call and see what the instructions are for your locallity.
Old May 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by detroit pistins
great write up man! u should add that to the how to section.
but just to add one thing to those of us that not very familiar with the process, make sure the car is cool when u open the radiator cap.

question: why do u need to turn on the heater on high while pouring in the new fluid?
Thanks
gOOD point on Radiator coolant temp.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Where is the block drain plug?

Originally Posted by Evoryder
The plug is on the BOTTOM of the radiator, on the passenger side. Jack up car and you will see only one opportunity for a 10mm hex. Here is a quick step by step.

DISCLAIMER: DO PROCEDURE ON COLD OR COOLED DOWN CAR, PREVENTS BURNS FROM HOT COOLANT.

Step 1: Jack up car with Jacks and jack stand, just do passenger side. Place drain pan under drain plug, loosen plug until fluid comes out(you might want to open fill cap on top of radiator first, releases vacuum in radiator). Continue to drain until it stops, just like an oil change...drip drip.......drip.......................drip

Also drain and clean the coolant reservoir. While draining the radiator take the time to clean it, and have it ready with fresh fluid. Super easy to take off...2 bolts 10/12mm I believe, disconnect hose attached.

Step 2: Once old fluid is out, get gallon or 2 of distilled water(depending on how many flushes you do) and pour into radiator fill cap from top of car. At the same time run motor while filling radiator, have the A/C on Heat and level for for max temp. Continue pouring till radiator is full.

Step 3: Drain radiator again which should have a slight mix of left over coolant and majority distilled water. If you feel you got all the old fluid out then continue to step 4, if not repeat from Step 2.

Step 4: Radiator should be fully drained of the distilled water, time to fill up the car with your preferred mix of coolant to water. Depending on what climate you live in, you can play with the mix of coolant : water. Drain plug for radiator should be closed and tightened. Remove drain pan, and lower car to level ground.

Step 5: DO NOT FORGET TO FILL RADIATOR. Do it with the car on the ground and also refill Reservoir Tank. MAKE SURE TO CHECK FOR LEAKS BEFORE DRIVING OFF!!!
Evoryder, that is a fantastic picture, thanks for sharing! Is there a similar picture showing the block drain plug from the same manual? I am going to use the Prestone Flush & Fill kit to backflush the radiator with a garden hose, and will end up with tap water in my engine block. This is not a good thing, because tap water contains minerals that will clog the cooling system. The only way to eliminate all the tap water, to my knowledge, is to open both the radiator drain plug and the block drain plug.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akemi27
i know we can recycle oil...but is coolant a hazardous liquid that needs to be disposed of properly as well? just wanna know
YES!!!!!!!! It kills the lil kittys

they drink it......cause it smells sweet......and their stupid ;-(
Old Jun 2, 2009, 03:04 PM
Evolving Member

I read somewhere that it's ok to pour your old coolant down the drain. Municipal water treatment facilities are capable of removing the coolant from the water, but not so with used motor oil.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

I just take my oil/coolant slosh down to my local autoparts oil recycle location
Old Jun 2, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fanbelted
Evoryder, that is a fantastic picture, thanks for sharing! Is there a similar picture showing the block drain plug from the same manual? I am going to use the Prestone Flush & Fill kit to backflush the radiator with a garden hose, and will end up with tap water in my engine block. This is not a good thing, because tap water contains minerals that will clog the cooling system. The only way to eliminate all the tap water, to my knowledge, is to open both the radiator drain plug and the block drain plug.
I'll check later on for ya.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

I'll check later on for ya.
Thanks man! I have another question for everyone. My driveway is at a very steep angle. Is it important to have the car level when draining & flushing the coolant? Which would be better, nose-down or nose-up ?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

level
Old Jun 2, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

as requested:

Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

as requested:

Evoryder, thanks a lot, ur awesome! Now I just gotta find me a level place to do the flush...