Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Stipped center exhaust manifold bolt...how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KenMasters. There's a name I haven't seen in a while. What's up man?
Anyways back to the problem; if you are really feeling lazy and don't want to mess with the exhaust stud at all, there's always the Embossed Copper Manny Gasket.

"Check this out...let's say you have a few busted studs in the head, the head is on the car, and too lazy to extract them (or even next to impossible to correctly do while the head is on the car). THIS gasket will even seal up that manny to the head in most of these extreme cases! We've tried it for yucks on a mule car to test the limits of this gasket and it works! Bear in mind, that was with two studs missing right next to each other. That benny alone could save you a lot of frustration. How did it do it? Those heavy-hitter embossments baby."
http://www.ffwdconnection.com/copper.shtml
Old May 17, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Turbo Larry? What the heck is up!!! I'm just working away like a slave , loving my car---still, and trying to help others with theirs.

/\ I'd try this gasket before doing anything to the head.
Old May 17, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still around. Still rockin the evo too. Still passing on cheap and lazy fixes as you can see.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KenMasters
Your right, pulling the head is not necessary and it can be done just the way you say. It is the fastest ,easiest , and most economical way to do this. I'm just to hard headed and set in my ways of doing things. Sometimes it's good to get a better perspective on things.
I've seen to many botched jobs brought into the machine shop at work. Thats why I look at this job like I do.
It's all good, bro. I am hard-headed, too, as well as set in my ways.

I've seen everything from a "pro" shop make a bad situation even worse by trying to drill out a broken exhaust stud and ended up being too aggressive and punched through (how is beyond me) the head into an oil galley on an RB26 to another "pro" shop that replaced all the studs with 17mm anchor bolts from a hardware store and again drilling way past the maximum depth of the original and punching into oil galley. Just totally inappropriate and negligent, so I don't trust too many garages for things I can do myself.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

/\ Agreed. I connot believe some of the shtick my machinists deal with. Not engines, but we support power plant operations , gas ,water, and electric construction, and anything else GOV related in our city. There have been some "gems " of in the field fixes we've seen. I'm really hesitant to do something half-assed in the field as opposed to done right the first time in the shop.
Old May 17, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
WIth lifter noise now present in the valve train, any chance I burnt a valve here? I do have an aftermarket warrenty from Murccery for the motor, and I believe this sort of thing should be warrantyable...with the right mechanic. Any thoughts?
Old May 17, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I used the helicoil on the head...no problems, just have to make sure you line it up right when you drill and tap. 90deg drill
Old May 17, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I used the helicoil on the head...no problems, just have to make sure you line it up right when you drill and tap. 90deg drill
I realize this, and thank you for the reply. How ever, I don't have that sort of tool. I have a regular BlacknDecker drill, but not sure if it is the same used in a shop to drill this.

My concern now is if I have maybe done any Valve Train damage...
Old May 17, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raceghost
WIth lifter noise now present in the valve train, any chance I burnt a valve here? I do have an aftermarket warrenty from Murccery for the motor, and I believe this sort of thing should be warrantyable...with the right mechanic. Any thoughts?
As long as you meet the criteria of the warranty down to the fine print. if it says anything about covering the valvetrain, then you are good to go, but I know from previous experience that most places will try to not honor a warranty and somehow try to make it look like a warranty was voided by the holder of the warranty.

As far as Murccery goes... IDK anything about this company. Does the warranty say that they will reimburse you for expenses or that they will honor it by 3rd party (the mechanic) who put in a claim for reimbursement? sounds like a lot of lawyer-talk. Sorry.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KenMasters
/\ Agreed. I connot believe some of the shtick my machinists deal with. Not engines, but we support power plant operations , gas ,water, and electric construction, and anything else GOV related in our city. There have been some "gems " of in the field fixes we've seen. I'm really hesitant to do something half-assed in the field as opposed to done right the first time in the shop.
Over here where I live, i see a lot of that "in the field" repairs on houses, especially with electrical systems and inappropriate wiring. It's a good thing sand doesn't burn. We have a lot of "contractors" fresh off the boat who don't have real qualifications/certifications out making repairs. I'm glad I watched all those DIY shows while in university
Old May 17, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry but how does a leaking exhaust manifold cause a valvetrain problem. The ticking your hearing is probably the leak. Solve that problem first. After I installed my cams I live with lifter noise from time to time. No damage though. No iron filings in the oil.
Old May 17, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Hey dtuned any chance you have pics of your car?
Old May 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately no I don't. In fact, I'm working on it (had to repair the TC and doing a clutch change) and will take pics to load up in my garage section on here.
Old May 17, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

No worries, I'm always looking for pics of older lancers. My personal fav being Evo VI TME. Be sure to post when your up and running.
Old May 17, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Raceghost
I realize this, and thank you for the reply. How ever, I don't have that sort of tool. I have a regular BlacknDecker drill, but not sure if it is the same used in a shop to drill this.

My concern now is if I have maybe done any Valve Train damage...
Bought my 90deg adapter from Home depot...connects to a regular drill.
Helicoil tap got the m8x1.25 from Pepboys...very easy to do, easier with Radiator out.

Quick Reply: Stipped center exhaust manifold bolt...how bad is it?