Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Leaking o2 housing and burnt manifold

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking o2 housing and burnt manifold

I smelt fumes in the car today. It seems my o2 housing gasket is leaking and one of the runners on my porterd stock exhaust manifold has a burn spot.

Obviously I'm going to replace the gasket, but is the manifold a sign that I have bigger problems like a lean cylender? Maybe a dying injector? Or maybe simply the result of the leaking gasket?? I've also been getting an ses light every now and again. Maybe the gasket burnt bc of the problem and will just happen again??.... Any input?

Thanks
Old May 18, 2009, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A burned manifold exhaust runner? It's just carbon build-up from your leaking O2 housing gasket
Old May 18, 2009, 08:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Post up a picture or two of the exhaust manifold (spot)!
Old May 18, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dtuned
A burned manifold exhaust runner? It's just carbon build-up from your leaking O2 housing gasket
Can this be explained more discriptively? I can't understand how leaking at the turbine outlet can deposit C and how this deposit can lead to higher temps pre-turbine.

All I can think of that can cause temps high enough to melt cast manifold is AFR too lean (14's), timing retard (knock), while under high boost. Unless it was ported severly
Old May 18, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Can this be explained more discriptively? I can't understand how leaking at the turbine outlet can deposit C and how this deposit can lead to higher temps pre-turbine.

All I can think of that can cause temps high enough to melt cast manifold is AFR too lean (14's), timing retard (knock), while under high boost. Unless it was ported severly
It doesn't look like carbon build up, i'll try and get some pics.

How can I tell if it's running too lean? Find someone with a Trax cable?

On a side note, After a recent tune, i gained 2mph in the 8th mile and only one in the 1/4 mile. maybe this is a result of the car knocking under heavier loads?

One more thing, where's the best place to buy a new o2 housing gasket???????
Old May 18, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Carloverx
How can I tell if it's running too lean?
A wideband.

If just one runner has heat damage and the others show no signs at all, there might have an injector problem. This wouldn't be too easy to detect with AFR.

What do the sparkplugs look like?

One more thing, where's the best place to buy a new o2 housing gasket???????
Mitsubishi parts dept.
Old May 18, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

A wideband.

If just one runner has heat damage and the others show no signs at all, there might have an injector problem. This wouldn't be too easy to detect with AFR.

What do the sparkplugs look like?

Mitsubishi parts dept.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone have a part number for that gasket?

Also, anyone have an opinion on if the gasket may have went b/c the car is running lean?
Or if the car is going lean because of the faulty gasket?..... Or if both are a result of a messed up injector?

How common are injector problems @30,000miles and 370whp? hmmmmm Any info or guesses would be appreciated! Thanks again

Last edited by Carloverx; May 18, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old May 18, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to take it OT a bit, but I have a question for ya... Did/does your car "whistle" upon start up? I have had this whistle for a while now, and Im thinking its an 02 leak... But every1 that has looked at it, says no... (It never whistled while they were there, due to the car being warmed up though)
Old May 18, 2009, 02:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 209 Likes on 124 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Anyone have a part number for that gasket?
Shoot Maperformance a pm on here. I got mine for cheap from them.
Old May 18, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, let's see... a leaking gasket is gonna more often than not "spit" carbon, and he didn't exactly say where the "burn" mark was. A leaking gasket is gonna get fumey for sure.

Keep it simple man. You added stuff that he didn't even post in the original thread, or are you just assuming? If the exhaust side of his engine actually got hot enough to melt a cast manifold, I am pretty certain that other things would have started to melt way before that, but you do have a valid point in one area regarding overporting, and I am gonna assume it may be the burn spot he's talking about.
Old May 18, 2009, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nonschlont
Sorry to take it OT a bit, but I have a question for ya... Did/does your car "whistle" upon start up? I have had this whistle for a while now, and Im thinking its an 02 leak... But every1 that has looked at it, says no... (It never whistled while they were there, due to the car being warmed up though)
Never heard any whistle at all? In hindsight, it did sound like a lot of air was being sucked in to the intake, now i assume it was air passing out the o2 housing. Also, it is fuemy as ****.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info.

Anyone have a part number for that gasket? mitsu part's dept
Also, anyone have an opinion on if the gasket may have went b/c the car is running lean? The bigger problem is the exhaust runner being toasted

Or if the car is going lean because of the faulty gasket? Under load it will leak, it won't make the AFR change. Closed loop might run rich

Or if both are a result of a messed up injector? At this point the exhaust runner being burned is a sign of too much heat, probably from the TUNE, and/or too much backpressure on the turbine. The O2 housing problem is probably just a leak, if heat damage occured downstream turbine, everything upstream would be toast.

How common are injector problems @30,000miles and 370whp? hmmmmm Any info or guesses would be appreciated! Thanks again
Unlikely. Remove manifold, turbine housing, and O2 housing. Inspect/replace everything bad. Show pics of the parts.