Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak?

Well, I went almost two years without a 'mitsu moment'. Walked out this morning and noticed a spot of oil on the driveway right underneath the oil cooler (and also exactly where i'd parked my dad's leaky *** old f-150 this weekend-evo no good at haulin wood). struck me as odd, but whatever, musta been the old truck.

Drove to work (~1 mile ), didn't think anything about it until I got back at lunch time. No warning lights, funny noises, etc. parked in a puddle, looked at the oil patch in the driveway from this morning, concluded that it had to have been the truck since I just changed the oil on my car two weeks ago, looked a little darkish.

The puddle was shiny after I got done eating lunch.
Popped the hood, checked the oil, halfway between the notches. Damnit. cranked the car up, pulled it forward out of the water to look, didn't even have to lay down, **** was drip drip dripping off the corner by the cooler.

So the question is... is this a common area for problems? I don't believe I've hit anything, there doesn't (at a cursory glance) appear to be any kind of blunt force trauma to the oil cooler. I was secretly hoping the filter had worked itself loose, but the direction of oil travel has it at the connections for the cooler or the cooler itself.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by linuxman51
Well, I went almost two years without a 'mitsu moment'. Walked out this morning and noticed a spot of oil on the driveway right underneath the oil cooler (and also exactly where i'd parked my dad's leaky *** old f-150 this weekend-evo no good at haulin wood). struck me as odd, but whatever, musta been the old truck.

Drove to work (~1 mile ), didn't think anything about it until I got back at lunch time. No warning lights, funny noises, etc. parked in a puddle, looked at the oil patch in the driveway from this morning, concluded that it had to have been the truck since I just changed the oil on my car two weeks ago, looked a little darkish.

The puddle was shiny after I got done eating lunch.
Popped the hood, checked the oil, halfway between the notches. Damnit. cranked the car up, pulled it forward out of the water to look, didn't even have to lay down, **** was drip drip dripping off the corner by the cooler.

So the question is... is this a common area for problems? I don't believe I've hit anything, there doesn't (at a cursory glance) appear to be any kind of blunt force trauma to the oil cooler. I was secretly hoping the filter had worked itself loose, but the direction of oil travel has it at the connections for the cooler or the cooler itself.
Those connections may back off a bit. The other week when you changed your gearbox/TC oil.. was there anything else you unbolted? Anyway, check the tightness of the fittings. Use some brake cleaner to degrease the area, wipe the area free of grease/oil, tighten the fittings (if possible), wait 15 minutes and then come back and look and see which fitting is leaking. It may the o-ring inside the fitting or the male end of the oil cooler may have somehow got bent and opened up. It happened to me, albeit, it was on another car. The male connection was somehow crushed in and broke the alumi plate casuing oil to weep.
Old May 18, 2009, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

We didn't do anything on that side of the car during the clutch swap, and my intercooler piping has good clearance around the cooler (the only other thing done on that side of the car recently). I'm hoping with the shuffling around something just got loose, otherwise I reckon i'm on the market for a new cooler hahahaha
Old May 18, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok. Other than that, how's the substitute oils working out? No problems?
Old May 18, 2009, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

already drained the coastal trans oil out, the mobile 1 from the tcase, and changed the oil in the rear dif. The coastal syth. was horrible in the trans. Trans shifts wonderfully now with the bg syncro I. Can't tell any difference in the t-case and rear diff, so thats probably a good thing.

Oil leak was in fact the top fitting on the cooler, it'd just worked itself loose. snugged it up, checked the bottom one, hosed the oil off, and moved on.