Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

School me on the FP Turbo differences

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
School me on the FP Turbo differences

Hello all,

I am in need of some schooling on the differences in the white, green, and red turbo's. I have been reading like a mad man, but am still having some issues understanding lamens terms on the sizing, spool, boost, etc between the differences in these turbo's.

I am currently looking to possibly replace my Evo 8 GSR stock turbo. 70K miles on it, and my girl has a new found oil addiction. It is being looked at currently. I f we find out that the turbo is helping burn/leak the oil, then looking to upgrade. Nothing super, but looking for 400 HP, and not all from Turbo. I want to build solid, with minimul boost upgrade. To what I understand, the FP White is the mild side, Green in the middle, and that the Red is the Real Mccoy. But I am confused and could use the help.

Lets not worry about issues, but explain the differences in these bad boys. I have searched far and wide, and just can't make heads or tales at what i am looking at.

Thanks in advance for such a newb question.
Old May 20, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure what you can't learn simply by going to www.forcedperformance.net

From what you say you are looking for I would think the Green would best suit your needs.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

I went through the sight, and was looking at the different models. Are they all rebuilt stock turbo's, but with bigger wheel, and bigger hotside? Thats the info I am looking for. Is there a HP rating on each of them, Im sure there is a boost rating, which would equate to HP rating with supporting mods, etc.... Just trying to understand i guess sizing differences. I am a newb to turbo's. I have read the fundamentals of how the turbo itself works, just not sure what the difference are in these.
Old May 20, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its all about flow for the horsepower rating and i don't believe FP has released the maximum flow data for the turbo's. You could speculate at the flow numbers based on dyno charts but thats about it. For the green most people seem to accept something around 49-50lb/min flow ratings. For the Red people speculate them to be around 60lb/min.

49lbs/min should be something like 480-490 hp?
60lbs/min should be something close to 600hp?
Old May 20, 2009, 05:34 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
FP White: very similar to stock IX turbo, but with quicker spoolup and maybe 10-20whp advantage, depending on the setup. Stock turbine wheel, HTA compressor wheel.

FP Green: spools about like stock, slightly laggier, makes 20-30whp extra, depending on the setup. Custom turbine and compressor wheel.

FP Red: spools 400-600rpms later than stock IX turbo, makes 60+whp extra. Custom turbine and HTA76 comp wheel

ALSO!

BBK Full: 300rpms laggier than stock, +50whp (even on pump gas!), custom turbine and compressor wheel. Best of the bunch IMHO, I own one and had all of the above to choose from.
Old May 20, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For your goals.. I would say an FP Green or CBRD BBK turbo.
Old May 20, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
For your goals.. I would say an FP Green or CBRD BBK turbo.
+1 Both have proven to make that power assuming your car has supporting mods
Old May 20, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you guys, expecially for puting in lamen terms. I feel like such a newb when I asked. But I was trying to understand real world effects. BBk is pretty good as well huh, will have to look further into there product. Thanks again.
Old May 21, 2009, 08:37 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
No problemo. If you plan on running pump gas only, I have to say the BBK is the way to go! On a local dyno dynamics dyno an FP green on a maxed out pump gas car will put down maybe 340whp, while a BBK will do 375+
Old May 21, 2009, 08:40 AM
Account Disabled

Go FPRed, you can always turn the boost down and then up it when you want more power in the future. No sense in buying two turbos.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how does the red run on pump cali 91? any one with a link to a thread?

how does it spool on the street on the cal 91 **** gas too?

With how fast that turbo spools, it kind of makes so sense to get a green or white when the red spools only marginally slower, not even 1k rpm, 400-500rpm as scheides said

imho, why not just run the red and not give it a lot of boost if you don't want/need that power as the lag is marginal anyway..just run stock cams too
Old May 21, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MOREPSiTEHBETT4
how does the red run on pump cali 91? any one with a link to a thread?

how does it spool on the street on the cal 91 **** gas too?

With how fast that turbo spools, it kind of makes so sense to get a green or white when the red spools only marginally slower, not even 1k rpm, 400-500rpm as scheides said

imho, why not just run the red and not give it a lot of boost if you don't want/need that power as the lag is marginal anyway..just run stock cams too
Bryan / Razorlab / GST posted some graphs comparing the Green / Red / and BBK Full on several cars that have come though their shop...IMHO if you are going to run 91 pump, the BBK Full will provide the largest area under the curve and be the best turbo for your application.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
One plus for the BBK is the lead time to actually have it in hand... FP is on backorder, where you can have a BBK in approximately 1-2 weeks depending if it is new or core upgrade...
Old May 21, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is also the tomei arms turbo m7960. It is also a 20g turbo.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:11 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
One plus for the BBK is the lead time to actually have it in hand... FP is on backorder, where you can have a BBK in approximately 1-2 weeks depending if it is new or core upgrade...
I know we live in a society where almost everyone expects instant gratification, but patience is a virtue.

I'd gladly wait 16+ weeks for an FPRed. There is a reason they are on backorder. Because they are so badass, everyone wants one.

Quick Reply: School me on the FP Turbo differences