Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spark plug crushed... how bad am I screwed

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Pictures of the damage:

Attached Thumbnails Spark plug crushed... how bad am I screwed-p5240025.jpg   Spark plug crushed... how bad am I screwed-p5240026.jpg   Spark plug crushed... how bad am I screwed-p5240027.jpg   Spark plug crushed... how bad am I screwed-p5240028.jpg  

Last edited by recompile; May 24, 2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I can see the busted skirt but can't tell anything about the valves. Does it to you look like one or more of the valves hit the piston?
Old May 24, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm taking the head & turbo apart tomorrow. So far as I can tell, the valves look OK. There is some scuffing in the cylinder (actually opposite the cracked side) and there is some buildup on the head. I'm hoping it's nothing a bit of machine work & ball honing can't fix.

No sign of the piece that broke off.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Its amazing how stuff like that can go right by the valves. I suppose it could have been multiple small pieces but still amazing. I'd suspect some sealing surface damage either on the valve(s) or on the seat(s). Also likely that the turbine is damaged. I'm sure you're suspecting that as well.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:19 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Holy fok! That sucks dude.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
With a knock count of 4, I wouldn't expect this to happen. What do you guys think?
Old May 24, 2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8

IM NEW AT THIS BUT I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM........

HAVE A EVO8 WAS DRIVING 25MPH ALL OF A SUDDEN MAD A UGLY SOUND AND THEN SOUNDED LIKE A SUBARU GO TO FIND OUT CYLINDER # 3 NO GOOD CHANGE THE SPARK CAUSE IT WAS BENT IT WAS RUNNING GOOD BUT WITH TIME IT WOULD STOP WORKING JUST TO FIND OUT THAT THE SPARK PLUG KEEPED GETTING BENT.....

TOOK THE HEAD COVER OFF THE TAB HAD FELL OF TOOK THE HEAD OFF 2 BENT VALVES THE PISTON LOOK GOOD OK GOT THE VALVES FIXED PUT THE MOTER BACK TOGETHER AND AS SOON AS I MADE THE FIRST STOP SAME PROBLEM AGAIN ....

TOOK THE HEAD BACK OFF ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THE 2 VALVES GOT BENT AGAIN BUT THIS TIME MY PISTON WAS NO GOOD I WAS LIKE

AFTER GOING THRU LIKE 6 SPARK PLUGS THIS WAS THE PROBLEM.. WHEN THE TAB FELL OF IT CAUSED THE VALVE TO NOT FUNCTION THE RIGHT WAY CAUSING ONE OF THE VAVLES TO CHIP(VERY SMALL PEACE) THE CHIP WAS SO LITTLE IT WOULD GO IN A CURCULATION MOTION THRU THE MANIFOLD,TUBO,INTERCOOLER, INTAKE(LUCKY IT DIDNT DO ANYTHING TO THE TURBO) BACK TO THE HEAD AND DOWN TO THE PISTON THEN BEND THE SPARKPLUG ONE AFTER ANOTHER....TOOK ME 6 SPARKPLUGS TO FIND THE PROBLEM REASON TO FINDING THE PROBLEM WAS THAT THE PISTON HIT THE SPARKPLUG SO HARD WHEN THE METAL WAS IN THE CYLINDER THAT THE SPARKPLUG BLEW UP IN PEACES THANX TO THE COILPACK FOR BEING SCREWED ON... IF NOT SPARKPLUG WOULD HAVE FLEW OUT THE HOOD....THIS TIME IT HAD BROKE THE PISTON BY LOOKING AT THE TOP OF THE PISTON U CAN TELL THAT THE PISTON WAS HITTING A PEACE ON METAL WHICH THAT SAME METAL WAS CAUSING SPARKPLUG TO BEND.....

SOLUTION: NEW PISTON ONLY THING IS IM NOT A PRO..LOL FORGOT ONE BEARING ...2 WEEKS LATER MOTOR WAS NO GOOD LOL THATS WHY I LEAVE THE HARD WORK TO THE PRO'S NOW IN DAYS LOL

ANYWAYS GOT ME A FULLYBUILT MOTOR WITH AMS INTERCOOLER AND INTERCOOLER PIPEING.....SWEET..LOL

THIS WAS MY PROBLEM HOPE THIS HELPS OUT A LITTLE IF ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW..GLAD TO HELP....
Old May 24, 2009, 11:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The particles floating around from the broken piston would explain the damage to the plugs but you'd think the valves would break/bend under pressure before the piston.

I wonder if anyone else with these same cams have experienced similar issues where the valves meet the pistons to due the aggressive grind.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonruiz1
IM NEW AT THIS BUT I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM........

HAVE A EVO8 WAS DRIVING 25MPH ALL OF A SUDDEN MAD A UGLY SOUND AND THEN SOUNDED LIKE A SUBARU GO TO FIND OUT CYLINDER # 3 NO GOOD CHANGE THE SPARK CAUSE IT WAS BENT IT WAS RUNNING GOOD BUT WITH TIME IT WOULD STOP WORKING JUST TO FIND OUT THAT THE SPARK PLUG KEEPED GETTING BENT.....

TOOK THE HEAD COVER OFF THE TAB HAD FELL OF TOOK THE HEAD OFF 2 BENT VALVES THE PISTON LOOK GOOD OK GOT THE VALVES FIXED PUT THE MOTER BACK TOGETHER AND AS SOON AS I MADE THE FIRST STOP SAME PROBLEM AGAIN ....

TOOK THE HEAD BACK OFF ONLY TO FIND OUT THAT THE 2 VALVES GOT BENT AGAIN BUT THIS TIME MY PISTON WAS NO GOOD I WAS LIKE

AFTER GOING THRU LIKE 6 SPARK PLUGS THIS WAS THE PROBLEM.. WHEN THE TAB FELL OF IT CAUSED THE VALVE TO NOT FUNCTION THE RIGHT WAY CAUSING ONE OF THE VAVLES TO CHIP(VERY SMALL PEACE) THE CHIP WAS SO LITTLE IT WOULD GO IN A CURCULATION MOTION THRU THE MANIFOLD,TUBO,INTERCOOLER, INTAKE(LUCKY IT DIDNT DO ANYTHING TO THE TURBO) BACK TO THE HEAD AND DOWN TO THE PISTON THEN BEND THE SPARKPLUG ONE AFTER ANOTHER....TOOK ME 6 SPARKPLUGS TO FIND THE PROBLEM REASON TO FINDING THE PROBLEM WAS THAT THE PISTON HIT THE SPARKPLUG SO HARD WHEN THE METAL WAS IN THE CYLINDER THAT THE SPARKPLUG BLEW UP IN PEACES THANX TO THE COILPACK FOR BEING SCREWED ON... IF NOT SPARKPLUG WOULD HAVE FLEW OUT THE HOOD....THIS TIME IT HAD BROKE THE PISTON BY LOOKING AT THE TOP OF THE PISTON U CAN TELL THAT THE PISTON WAS HITTING A PEACE ON METAL WHICH THAT SAME METAL WAS CAUSING SPARKPLUG TO BEND.....

SOLUTION: NEW PISTON ONLY THING IS IM NOT A PRO..LOL FORGOT ONE BEARING ...2 WEEKS LATER MOTOR WAS NO GOOD LOL THATS WHY I LEAVE THE HARD WORK TO THE PRO'S NOW IN DAYS LOL

ANYWAYS GOT ME A FULLYBUILT MOTOR WITH AMS INTERCOOLER AND INTERCOOLER PIPEING.....SWEET..LOL

THIS WAS MY PROBLEM HOPE THIS HELPS OUT A LITTLE IF ANY QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW..GLAD TO HELP....
I read all of this and got a headache.
Old May 24, 2009, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the head with a reputable machine shop, you have bent valves where the rockers popped off most likely.

Looks like you got it in time before major damage.

If the bores are good and the rod bearings are good you can recover pretty easily.

Sean
Old May 24, 2009, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by recompile
I'm taking the head & turbo apart tomorrow. So far as I can tell, the valves look OK. There is some scuffing in the cylinder (actually opposite the cracked side) and there is some buildup on the head. I'm hoping it's nothing a bit of machine work & ball honing can't fix.

No sign of the piece that broke off.
The piece that "broke" off is melted away, gone. Check your turbine wheel on the turbo also while you are at it.

Sean
Old May 24, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

NGK ILFR7H's FTW exactly why i dont change to other plugs.... hope u can get ur motor fixed...
Old May 24, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in the Boston area so send me a PM once you start parting out your Evo . J/K lol good luck man.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

I hate that man, I drove my daily driven at over 500whp and never had any issue at all, and I beat the crap out of it on weekends @ 30-33psi, Never had any issues on stock block. Did have 272s.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
So are we saying that the valves floated and contacted the piston? I was thinking if that was the case, the valve pockets in the piston would show evidence of contact.

Quick Reply: Spark plug crushed... how bad am I screwed