Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Twin Disc vs Single Disc...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twin Disc vs Single Disc...

Hello,

I hear a lot about single and twin disk clutch assemblies. What I really want to know is what is the actual difference in performance and feel between the two. Why would one have to go to the twin disk?

Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, you live in oklahoma? were do you put your gun rack in the EVO??? j/k
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

I just made a holder behind the two front seats....works well.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

cooling.. the twin disk will cool much faster so it is more effective.. well worth the extra weight.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 07:35 PM
Account Disabled

Th twin disk is weighted a bit better, and as such, is a bit smoother to engage from a dead stop. The singel disk on the other hand tends to have a more on/off feel to it. Both can easily be street drivin, twin disk is just a bit more forgiving for daily use I have found.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Twice the engagement surface !!!!
Old Oct 3, 2003, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

I have heard that there are drivability issues with the twin disc setup. Also that it is "loud" and that people have to compromise in some fashion for having it. I still wouldn't know why this is the case and why people would have to compromise having a more expensive clutch.

The cooling is more in twin disc? Do people launch their cars with disregard in twin disc setups?
Old Oct 4, 2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Karash
I have heard that there are drivability issues with the twin disc setup. Also that it is "loud" and that people have to compromise in some fashion for having it. I still wouldn't know why this is the case and why people would have to compromise having a more expensive clutch.

The cooling is more in twin disc? Do people launch their cars with disregard in twin disc setups?
In my Camaro I had a McCleod Twin Disk Street twin clutch with steel flywheel. It had the same engagement/pedal pressure as stock and would take whever I threw at it (396 stroker+N20) and the only parts I broke were the tranny and rearend and the clutch held strong =)
Old Oct 4, 2003, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

i wouldnt be proud of breaking a transmissons but hey at least your car made some mad power hehehe

the single disc clutch kit from exedy is very drivable you cant even tell that it was an aftermarket clutch by pedal feel alone you will hear noise but thats because of the lighter flywheel and the fact that the single disc still uses a twin disc setup
Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:37 AM

I put in a HKS twin disc a couple weeks ago. Its feels great and yes it does chatter lightly with the clutch disengaged and a little when off throttle. The only time I notice the chatter is when I have the stereo down and am listening to the engine sing. If your replacing the clutch I think its probably worth it to spend the extra cash now to put a reliable unit in. I can tell you first hand its a ***** to replace and I'm in no hurry to see the underside of my EVO for a while!
Old Oct 5, 2003, 01:52 PM

i basically want to know is it worth the extra money to get the twin disk on a daily driver or should i just go with the single disk?
Old Oct 5, 2003, 02:21 PM

ultimately its your call! I personally would suggest a twin, but it is my understanding there are some tough single disc clutches out there. I chose the HKS cause it has replacable discs, and I have heard nothing but good things about the GDmax. It is a little grabby but by no means not streetable.