Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How to keep the crankshaft pulley in place.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to keep the crankshaft pulley in place.

Im trying to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt but I cant get the pulley to stop moving with it. I searched some stores for a pulley holder but couldnt find one. I dont have air tools and my friend with an impact gun cant come by til friday and I want to have this done alraedy. What is a good way to keep the crankshaft pulley in place. Or where is a store I can but a universal pulley holder.
Old May 27, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by def1
Im trying to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt but I cant get the pulley to stop moving with it. I searched some stores for a pulley holder but couldnt find one. I dont have air tools and my friend with an impact gun cant come by til friday and I want to have this done alraedy. What is a good way to keep the crankshaft pulley in place. Or where is a store I can but a universal pulley holder.
Well if you want to loosen it the crazy way you put a 22mm deep socket on the biggest breaker bar you can grab then put the handle on a jack stand and bump the starter. Just do it once and it should loosen by hand after it breaks loose.

See this pdf for how to set it up.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...-how-pg-1a.pdf
Old May 27, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Thats a good idea. I already have the timing belt off though so Im not sure I can still use this technique or can I?
Old May 27, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Thats a good idea. I already have the timing belt off though so Im not sure I can still use this technique or can I?
Agh well i guess that tosses it out since you will risk hitting valves. How did you get the timing belt off with the pulley in place? If you just hand tightened it you should literally be able to kick the bolt loose with a breaker bar.

If all else fails put the timing belt back on and spin the motor over by hand twice to make sure you don't hit a valve then use the above method.

Sorry bro
Old May 27, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

I just loosened up the belt tensioner and took the belt off. I wish I would have known of this technique beforehand though thats for sure. Ill probably just wait for the torque gun if that fails then I guess I have no choice but to put the t-belt back on.

Thanks for the info.
Old May 27, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

I just loosened up the belt tensioner and took the belt off. I wish I would have known of this technique beforehand though thats for sure. Ill probably just wait for the torque gun if that fails then I guess I have no choice but to put the t-belt back on.

Thanks for the info.
Are you changing out your cams or just doing the belt?

Since you probably have the cover off already taking the cams out will prevent the valves from hitting the pistons. I would still suggest manually turning over the engine by hand with the cams out to test for interference before trying to bump the starter.
Old May 27, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

i was originally just going to replace the cam seals but then I found out that my crank sensor and crank sensor blade were damaged so I had to replace those. Ill probably take out the cams and use this technique. Im still just going to wait on the torque gun first before making more work for myself.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to go off topic, but why are you taking the crankshaft bolt off? You can take the pulley off without taking the crankshaft bolt out.

btw...I have a badass IR impact gun that has like 650 ft lbs torque and it wouldn't break mine loose.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sprx19
Not to go off topic, but why are you taking the crankshaft bolt off? You can take the pulley off without taking the crankshaft bolt out.

btw...I have a badass IR impact gun that has like 650 ft lbs torque and it wouldn't break mine loose.
He'll need to get it off to get to the crank sensor and blades.
Old May 27, 2009, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

like I did it without the impact gun, actually 450ft/lb wouldn,t do it. I'm guessing your engine is out,well I had to put two flywheel screws on and a pry bar between the two of them (prying against each other) then have some one hold the pry bar to hold the flywheel side steddy, you on the other side with the brake bar start turning the bolt. Make sure you dont bend the fly wheel screws, it took a little bit but it came right off.