Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

blown motor, thinking about swapping a jdm motor in the car

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW I agree with the other guy's dude your in the military save the money! I agree with the first Rodeo thing. Sorry Bro,

Rebuild the one you have, or Buy a USDM. It makes absolutely no sense to drop in a JDM Motor, it'll be a bit of a pain to put in the JDM because in their cars the motor sits the other side of the car because their RHD. I'm just not sure if the mounting points are the same, But dosen't the Transmission mount on the other side of the motor? Yes it does there is your problem and the reason why not to do it, unless you want to do some serious work for no reason. I'm not even sure where you got this idea, Who if anyone has done this?

You can pull your head, and send out the entire bottom end, for a new ready to go bottom end, then re-install your head, and be good to go. Just make sure you know what your doing. Hell you could be up in a week. I'm not sure of prices, for shipping, parts, and labor, but if you have the tools you can pull/ or re-install a motor in a day. and then you would only have to wait for shipping.

Like everyone else said do what you want though. And Don't loose your bearing, You asked for opinions, and that is what you got. You only asked for problems, and the US guy's know their USDM setup, and the JDM know their setup, There is no logical reason to install the JDM so prolly no one has done it explaining why they don't know of any problems.

Last edited by D420mac; May 30, 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

LMFAO at this thread.

Dude ALL Evos are built in a Mitsubishi plant in Japan, then shipped. Your busted motor is already JDM...yo. If you wanted to hassle with getting another motor from Japan the suit yourself but you will not need anything more. Ecu, whatever else you think you'll need. It should be the exact same. Only exception to this will be if you try and run the anit-lag systemor you end up getting something with MIVEC which you did not have before.
Old May 30, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

yeah but their setup is different in Japan, There are differences, the fly wheel is on the opposite side on their 4G63 motor. there are alot of other little things. I do agree that the motors are the same 4Gs3's their just setup differently, but have the same operational specs!!
Old May 30, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by D420mac
yeah but their setup is different in Japan, There are differences, the fly wheel is on the opposite side on their 4G63 motor.
It most certainly is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBB-JVyo2I4

Note the orientation of the engine at 0:06 - same as USDM.
Old May 30, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I have a attitude lol. Sorry I tried to offer my advise.

It may not be your first rodeo but it sounds like you haven't won one either.
Old May 30, 2009, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by D420mac
yeah but their setup is different in Japan, There are differences, the fly wheel is on the opposite side on their 4G63 motor.
Originally Posted by spool_sample
It most certainly is not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBB-JVyo2I4

Note the orientation of the engine at 0:06 - same as USDM.
Old May 30, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whats so good about a JDM motor over a USDM motor, unless your buying the FQ400
Old May 30, 2009, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Earlier Evo's did have the flywheel on the opposite side. So, the ownership is off, I guess.

If you want to swap in a jdm motor because you want a jdm motor, and yours is shot, then, get to it. There is plenty of help in ecuFlash with guys that have the jdm. But, there are better choices out there than this, for what happened to your engine.
Old May 31, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would definately rebuid the motor you have unless you windowed the block. Then I would buy a used motor wether JDM or USDM. They are planty of wrecked USD evos out there.