Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

blown motor, thinking about swapping a jdm motor in the car

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown motor, thinking about swapping a jdm motor in the car

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING, THAT WAY YOU DONT LOOK LIKE A JASK@SS

i have an evo 9 and the other day i blew the motor, im looking at alternative swaps to get the car rolling again. i have a deployment coming up so i dont have time to work on the car myself. we just moved across the country from DC to washington state so im pretty much tight on funds at the moment.

however i have a little money coming my way and im looking to buy a motor and swap it into my evo. (i have another car to get around in) but i need my evo running again you know.

i was looking at possibly swapping a JDM evo motor into the car. i know that the ECU will have to be swapped with like a 2005 evo 8 because of my ACD Transfercase. what other problems would you all foresee?

im sure the swap is pretty straight forward considering the mounting locations are all the same.

Last edited by Davethewave; May 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What gains do you feel a 'JDM' motor will net you??

You can buy a complete and I mean complete longblock with everything on it from Mitsubishi for under $6000 from what I've heard.

Or...spend that money and have it built. A complete Buschur Racing stage build will cost you around the same amount as buying a new 'stock' longblock.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
rebuild it! it wold be alot better.
Old May 30, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by StreetThisEvo
What gains do you feel a 'JDM' motor will net you??

You can buy a complete and I mean complete longblock with everything on it from Mitsubishi for under $6000 from what I've heard.

Or...spend that money and have it built. A complete Buschur Racing stage build will cost you around the same amount as buying a new 'stock' longblock.
holy **** dude did you not read the first post? im not looking to make GAINS! i just want the d@mn thing rolling again!
Old May 30, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Davethewave
holy **** dude did you not read the first post? im not looking to make GAINS! i just want the d@mn thing rolling again!
You mad brah?

He said for the SAME PRICE as having a STOCK motor, you could have your current one rebuilt. You'd get the gains, spend the same money, and not have to deal with the issues you already know will be there.

Relaxxxxxxxxx
Old May 30, 2009, 12:03 PM
Account Disabled

Where do you plan to get the "JDM" motor from?

If time is a issue, you should just send the motor out to get built rather then you waiting for shipment on one overseas.

Plus you wont have to worry about the Built one taking a dump on you...just my .02.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Holy **** dude do you really want help or not? Cuz you certainly wont/shouldnt get it with that attitude. Have fun with your mad tyte JDM ride yo!

That guy had the right idea, for the same price you could have a much better car than just being able to say your motor is JDM.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

holy crap guys i only got mad because of his F-ing attitude.

this isnt my first rodeo, Im not looking to 'JDM' out my car as he were to say. the only reason i suggested it was because at the moment its a cheaper option.

plus, i thought you had to send Buschur a 'good core'. far as i know my motor isnt good with a cracked piston.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

No need to JDM... sounds like a bad idea to me
Old May 30, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

why is it that everytime someone around here asks a question, it never gets answered? all people do around here is offer other alternative suggestions. obviously i have already considered these other alternatives. at the present time with time being an issue a built motor is not really a viable solution.

im not trying to 'rice' out my ride by having a 'JDM' motor nor am i trying to net any 'gains'. at the moment a JDM motor is a cheaper solution.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
holy crap guys i only got mad because of his F-ing attitude.

this isnt my first rodeo, Im not looking to 'JDM' out my car as he were to say. the only reason i suggested it was because at the moment its a cheaper option.

plus, i thought you had to send Buschur a 'good core'. far as i know my motor isnt good with a cracked piston.
a motor with a cracked piston is a good core,the rods and pistons end up in the trash most likely anyway...the only reason i could see not to rebuild the current motor is due to time constraints...

EDIT...i see you are in wa state so you might wanna check out craigslist,i saw a 9 longblock on there for a reasonable price not long ago...actually here ya go http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1194489227.html

Last edited by reactionevo8; May 30, 2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Cheaper to get a BR or AMS block ready to go
Old May 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with your instint my friend. If you feel JDM is cheaper and the best route, go for it. If it were me, I go with the cheapest route to get it to run but if I want power, I'll probably rebuild it. GL and thanks for serving our country
Old May 30, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...k-ix-head.html

Hope this helps. This is what I did and it is working great.
Old May 30, 2009, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Let us go over the reasons not to do this "JDM" swap:
1: Money is tight
2: You are being deployed soon
3. You have another car to get around
4. I think have to swap your ECU/harness unless you get a MIVEC motor (it sounds like you are not)
5. It does sound like this is your first rodeo if you think a built motor uses the stock pistons

I think that is enough reasons. Save yourself the time, money, and frustration and let the professionals handle the work. I'll jump on the bandwagon and suggest sending your motor to Buschur or AMS.

Quick Reply: blown motor, thinking about swapping a jdm motor in the car