Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR 6spd Drivers on FP RED

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn I would like to know this as well. But I'm not going with the red I'm going with the gt850r.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CroatianKid
Damn I would like to know this as well. But I'm not going with the red I'm going with the gt850r.
you should be fine just don't keep doing pulls in 4th gear. take it easy after a couple pulls would help im sure so it doesn't over heat.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToMuchBoost
you should be fine just don't keep doing pulls in 4th gear. take it easy after a couple pulls would help im sure so it doesn't over heat.
Idk i kinda miss my 6 speed, cuz if it does ever blow you can pick them up cheap. I saw one go on craigs list for 200 bux lol At that point it becomes like a turbo LS Honda........ isn't that too much power for that bottom end...... its cool I have more bottom ends.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 20gmr
Idk i kinda miss my 6 speed, cuz if it does ever blow you can pick them up cheap. I saw one go on craigs list for 200 bux lol At that point it becomes like a turbo LS Honda........ isn't that too much power for that bottom end...... its cool I have more bottom ends.
Now that TRD has stronger gears for the 6speed swaping it out for a 5speed would probly cost more money. But i rather have a 6speed over a 5speed any day even though the 5 is better for drag.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

anyone swapped out 3rd or 4th gear with a 5spd to put into a 6spd? is it possible?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to Jon @ Tre he says the new gears come out in october. The redo of the gears would cost total like 3k but it's much much stronger than stock. Billet Shot peened gears, more oil passageway for cooling, and polished hubs, sleeves etc. It's clutch dumping, dragging, and improper clutch installs that can cause serious issues. Obviously poor driving/beating up car being premier reason
Old Aug 27, 2009, 03:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
So, that's like $3000 for the total upgrade, right? THe new gearset is only supposed to be $1500...and it's just for 4, 5 and 6 IIRC.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

3k for total, i'm assuming it may go a tad less once it can be performed to save a little money. Honestly, I believe the 6 speed will be smoother with the new setup. If there is one thing I've learned it's that the evo truly requires a lot of knowledge to operate. It is simply not a random transmission that you can abuse and drive however way and think your sweet. Sure integras and civics take the abuse with their stock low *** torque. 110 tq is really nothing for some transmissions.

To go on tangent. I knew kids who raced camry's jokingly trying to be fast. The thing is it held up to their poor driving and shenaningans. AFter careful research I find out that 95 camry transmission is the same one used by jdm 3sgte celica and it's super strong. Folks coming from such backgrounds have a tainted understanding of transmissions and clutches already, assuming nothing wont break unless it's cheap etc. Which is not the case.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Broham
To go on tangent. I knew kids who raced camry's jokingly trying to be fast. The thing is it held up to their poor driving and shenaningans. AFter careful research I find out that 95 camry transmission is the same one used by jdm 3sgte celica and it's super strong.
To go on another tangent, I had a '97 Camry with a stick. The 5 speed in that car was the same transmission used in the MR-2's.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

I agree Erik, these transmissions in certain japanese vehicles were being used in race/general vehicles or close enough that it promoted severe abuse. It may be a good thing for the owner but if they don't truly look deeper into it they will always break other transmissions. So when a 6spd mr is damaged from some hard driving one shouldn't be shocked that something broke. Obviously all cars aren't the 2jz supra transmission.

There are people who break the gtr transmission without the launch control issue, broken m3 transmissions. Now is it because the transmission is inferior? Nope, simply because certain transmissions simply require you to know a bit more to operate safely.

For those who wish to drag race forever, look and see why muscle cars are so common. Those bearings, and gears are sometimes 3 times the size of the evo and shot peened because 1200 hp stress on drivetrain and clutch dump will break yo A$$, but the evo can still be dragged obviously, it's just at a higher risk than a fat 69 camaro.

I drove the evo in a small forest with a windy dirt road and that is when i truly said I don't want any other car in this situation than this.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
This is an awesome thread, good info here from many experienced ppl.... Usually ppl ignorantly state "get the 5spd, 6spd sucks"....

Now I'm curious about the oil cooler and/or adding another sump/res for the 6spd to add more fluid could make the difference....

Also, from a buddies personal experience on this 1200hp civic, he case hardens and shot peens the stock gear sets (of course he still doesn't have any traction ever so it still holds).... wonder if anyone has looked into this, not just replacement sets... I know the 'One lap Honda Odyssey' (if anyone knows about it is a 3.5l running a GT35r) uses a stock TL type-S 6spd with hardened/peened gears too and they beat the crap out of that thing with no issues on the track.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Redline06
like the tittle states, if you are on a FP Red still on your 6spd, then post and tell me about your driving experience.

How much TQ are you putting down?
How often do you launch?
How long have you been driving on that set up?
How well do you take care of the 6spd?

I know the flaws of the 6spd, dnt need ppl to remind me. I just want to know who out here is enjoying a FP Red on a 6spd. My 6spd feels great @ 17K, stock clutch 340TQ and I say over 50 launches.. and not to mention I drive on the Autobahn for hours at times stuck in 6th gear around 4K doing around 100mph. I changed the fluid every 5K and about the only mod. I done was replace the shifter cable bushings with Buschur Bushings

I plan on bolting on a FP Red and wish to keep my 6spd, so am looking to see who already crossed that barrier and how they are doing.
autobahn in 6th is what will kill the trans, not launching.. I went from a 6 to a 5 speed after breaking it, gears 4-6 are TOO narrow!
Old Aug 27, 2009, 08:31 PM

autobahn in 6th is what will kill the trans, not launching.. I went from a 6 to a 5 speed after breaking it, gears 4-6 are TOO narrow!
can you please elaborate it makes no sense that gears will be damaged from cruising at 120km/h in 6th gear.

to the OP there is a mod in ecuflash for a temp sensor for the IX speed tranny. my JDM came with it and it never lit up ever. even after 2 hours of driving
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

How much TQ are you putting down?427WQT
How often do you launch?DRAG MY CAR AT THE TRACK 1-2 TIMES A MONTH, SO... 20-25 TIMES A MONTH WITH AN EXEDY TWIN HD
How long have you been driving on that set up?ONE YEAR AND THREE MONTHS ON THE RED
How well do you take care of the 6spd?CHANGE THE FLUID WITH AMSOIL GL-4 EVERY 5-10K

I AM STARTING TO GET SOME GRINDING IN 3RD GEAR AND DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER THE SYNCRO IS GOING TO LAST. I PLAN ON UPGRADING TO A SHEP BUILT 5 SPEED NEXT SPRING IF I CAN MAKE IT THAT LONG. THE CAR HAS 47K AND WHEN I BOUGHT IT LAST MAY IT HAD 16K. I DRIVE A LOT FOR WORK AND RACE AROUND EVERYWHERE I GO!
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well the Red just DESTROYED my 6speed. So bad that the car won't even roll forward! IMO the 6speeds need to be taken to a recycling bin and get your $25 bucks while helping the environment.

Quick Reply: MR 6spd Drivers on FP RED