Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR 6spd Drivers on FP RED

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation MR 6spd Drivers on FP RED

like the tittle states, if you are on a FP Red still on your 6spd, then post and tell me about your driving experience.

How much TQ are you putting down?
How often do you launch?
How long have you been driving on that set up?
How well do you take care of the 6spd?

I know the flaws of the 6spd, dnt need ppl to remind me. I just want to know who out here is enjoying a FP Red on a 6spd. My 6spd feels great @ 17K, stock clutch 340TQ and I say over 50 launches.. and not to mention I drive on the Autobahn for hours at times stuck in 6th gear around 4K doing around 100mph. I changed the fluid every 5K and about the only mod. I done was replace the shifter cable bushings with Buschur Bushings

I plan on bolting on a FP Red and wish to keep my 6spd, so am looking to see who already crossed that barrier and how they are doing.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have an FP Red but I am putting down 365wtq and for over 30k miles. You'll be fine for a while as long as you take good care of it.

As far as launching is concerned, its just as safe as the 5-speed IMO. 1-3 gear are thicker then the 5 speed, the only thing you might be battleing there is heat. I'm sure you know but the 6 speed uses less oil then the 5, so its prone to high heat levels under load. I would look into a tranny cooler.

I heard shep is doing some recalls and light modding on the 6 speeds now. I would give him a call and see what he thinks.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redline06
like the tittle states, if you are on a FP Red still on your 6spd, then post and tell me about your driving experience.

How much TQ are you putting down? 365ish
How often do you launch? 5 times a month? Maybe more at times
How long have you been driving on that set up? 30k miles
How well do you take care of the 6spd? Change the fluid every 10-15k, and no mods to it at all.
^^ Just so we're clear lol
Old Jun 8, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Thxs for your input ^^

I've seen a while back a thread on a custom transmission cooler on a MR def. worth it if planning on longevity of the 6spd. along with the reviews and slight mods by trans. builders.

I might just do that if I don't get power hungry after the FP Red set up.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Use AMSOil 75W-90 and change often. As long as you know how to drive her she'll last you forever.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

On my IX I have been driving around or over 350hp/370ftlbs of torque for over 40,000 miles. This is an additional 125ftlbs of torque over the stock numbers on a dyno dynamics dyno. Very recently I upgraded to a Red turbo and now am seeing 432hp/395ftlbs of torque on the same dyno.

I only launch on average once every couple weeks though I don't think that's what is hard on these 6-speeds. Most failures seem to come from heat due to road racing, fourth gear will let go. I have only made 5 passes at a dragstrip, and no road racing or autocrossing in 51,000 miles. I only changed the 6-speed fluid once at time of clutch replacement 38,000Mile mark.

Another local guy with an FP-Green I believe ran over 200 passes at the drag strip low 11's with his 6 speed with out issue.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Redline06

How much TQ are you putting down?
How often do you launch?
How long have you been driving on that set up?
How well do you take care of the 6spd?

I know the flaws of the 6spd, dnt need ppl to remind me. I just want to know who out here is enjoying a FP Red on a 6spd. My 6spd feels great @ 17K, stock clutch 340TQ and I say over 50 launches.. and not to mention I drive on the Autobahn for hours at times stuck in 6th gear around 4K doing around 100mph. I changed the fluid every 5K and about the only mod. I done was replace the shifter cable bushings with Buschur Bushings

I plan on bolting on a FP Red and wish to keep my 6spd, so am looking to see who already crossed that barrier and how they are doing.
I would only be worried if you auto X your car to be honest. There are people mid 500whp with the 6speed and no problems. If you are going to be beating on it alot it will over heat and your 4th or 5th gear will break. Your fine to launch it or do whatever just don't go crazy. I would be more worried about your trans if you have a 5 speed .
Old Jun 8, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ToMuchBoost
I would only be worried if you auto X your car to be honest. There are people mid 500whp with the 6speed and no problems. If you are going to be beating on it alot it will over heat and your 4th or 5th gear will break. Your fine to launch it or do whatever just don't go crazy. I would be more worried about your trans if you have a 5 speed .
Not trying to nit-pick here but I would think autocross is fine since you never get our of 3rd gear and usually only racing in 1st and 2nd which are stronger than 5-speed gears. Road course racing will see 4th a lot and under power for whole gear.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TalonFiero
Not trying to nit-pick here but I would think autocross is fine since you never get our of 3rd gear and usually only racing in 1st and 2nd which are stronger than 5-speed gears. Road course racing will see 4th a lot and under power for whole gear.
haha your right i was thinking more along the lines of road racing .
Old Jun 8, 2009, 06:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I have over 107,000 miles on my original 6 speed on a Green with approximately 370whp on a DJ (dynoed at 333whp on the GST MD). I use 75W-85 Castrol SynTorq LT religiously in my tranny.

I plan on upgrading to the TRE 6 speed when it comes out to go with the Red I will be getting. Also, a tranny cooler can't hurt.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

I'd like to hear the comments too as I have the FP RED on order and hope to race a time attack with it in August. I'm praying my 6spd holds up.

Last edited by Shawnmsr; Jun 8, 2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:00 PM

anyone know when that TRE 6 speed is coming out?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

You mean this? http://www.teamrip.com/TRE_6SPEED_EV...20SERVICE.html
Old Jun 9, 2009, 07:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
No we're talking about the upgraded gearset which is rumored to be about $1500 on top of the traditional service.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

how is the SURGE on the highway with the red in 5th or 6th gear?

Quick Reply: MR 6spd Drivers on FP RED