Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3rd gear sounds like gears are chewing each other up when trying to get in.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gear sounds like gears are chewing each other up when trying to get in.

3rd gear sounds like gears are chewing each other up when trying to go in. But what is weird is that it happend all of sudden tonight when just cruising. And then i stoped the car and was at zero rpms and pressed the clutch all the way to the floor and when trying to put the shifter into third it grinded heavy again. Ive never had this problem before. Later on when the car was off i moved the shifter side to side and it sounded like a clip or something was loose on the shifter or linkage. I have a act street disk on my evo 9. What should i do, should i raise the clutch pedal higher? It's at about the same height as the brake pedal already. could it have something to do with the shifter linkage needing some new adjusting, or could i have a bent cable or something?
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

just moved the shifter side to side again and it sounds like a clip is jiggling around. Is that normal?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dipsetinallday
3rd gear sounds like gears are chewing each other up when trying to go in. But what is weird is that it happend all of sudden tonight when just cruising. And then i stoped the car and was at zero rpms and pressed the clutch all the way to the floor and when trying to put the shifter into third it grinded heavy again. Ive never had this problem before. Later on when the car was off i moved the shifter side to side and it sounded like a clip or something was loose on the shifter or linkage. I have a act street disk on my evo 9. What should i do, should i raise the clutch pedal higher? It's at about the same height as the brake pedal already. could it have something to do with the shifter linkage needing some new adjusting, or could i have a bent cable or something?
A few things... Synchro came loose or the shift fork is jacked up. All internal. One outside chance, since you hear a sound while moving the shifter, is the select lever shoe which is mounted under the control lever on the gearbox. This is all part of the assembly that your cables mount to. The smaller lever is the select lever. The bigger one is the control lever. If the shoe comes all the way off, you'll have issues of 1st gear becoming third gear and third gear remaining third gear, and you'll only get to first gear if you downshift.

Last edited by dtuned; Jun 9, 2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dtuned
A few things... Synchro came loose or the shift fork is jacked up. All internal. One outside chance, since you hear a sound while moving the shifter, is the select lever shoe which is mounted under the control lever on the gearbox. This is all part of the assembly that your cables mount to. The smaller lever is the select lever. The bigger one is the control lever. If the shoe comes all the way off, you'll have issues of 1st gear becoming third gear and third gear remaining third gear, and you'll only get to first gear if you downshift.
Now 3rd is not grinding at all anymore but first was just giving me a little bit of problem not wanting to go in and pressed the clutch again and it when in it just happened a couple of times before. Do you have any pictures of what you describing. Like how to take out the center console without breaking anything?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your cables. its more common then you think.