Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

please give your best opinion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
please give your best opinion

Ok today I got my 06 evo 9 back from the shop. I had the fidanza 3.2 clutch along with their flywheel put in, also I had a o2 housing and perring down pipe put on. Ok for the fun part, when I go to drive of I notice a cirp which to me sounds metalic and seems to happen when shifting on the lower gears or hitting a bump a certain way or when down shifting while coming to a stop, most of the time does it going into second on the down shift and most all of the time while going from 2nd to 1st. I am going to go under the car to see it the down pipe is loose or something with the exhaust, but is their anything else that could be causing this? the sound is best described as a chirp or short squeel that sounds to me like it is metalic like metel rubbing against metal to make the chirping sound. Or could this just be part of the break in on the clutch and flywhell? thanks for all the help.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Could be break in but check the exhaust to see if its rubbing on anything, make sure the bars under the car and spaced further away from the car so they dont rub, thats what it sounds like to me. Here is a pic to have a better idea
Attached Thumbnails please give your best opinion-pic-exhaust.jpg  
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:34 PM

thanks for your input. i know its hard to say without hearing and all that, but just looking to hear from people and see what they say. so how much spacing should their be for the downpipe and all that? to me it sounds like that could be the problem.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

For my car I have about half inch spacers and longer bolts so those bars sit lower to the ground and give more clearance. I mean you dont need a ton but a good half inch between your exhaust and other stuff would be best, if its an 1/8th then I bet it might bump every now and again. You can kinda see in the pic the little blocks there to make more clearance.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

My dp was supposed to clear both Evo 8 and 9's. But after x miles it started to rattle in the 1100-1400 rpm range. But only after I changed my cat-back so it was odd.

After a turbo swap (which included us disassembling and then reinstalling the dp) it's now gone though. The rattle was the dp hitting the stock front sway/stabilizer bar. There was like a full inch of clearance but even still, at certain RPM it moves a lot.

The "proper" reinstall of both the dp and stock sway bolts seems to have remedied this. Not sure if that's of any help to you... But now I'm silent so I'm not sure what the dif is.

At worst, just put some dp spacers in and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:50 PM

ok thanks, i am going to jack the car up tomarrow and take a look to see what the clearance looks like but i am almost willing to bet that is the problem thanks alot for commenting
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by srcevo8
My dp was supposed to clear both Evo 8 and 9's. But after x miles it started to rattle in the 1100-1400 rpm range. But only after I changed my cat-back so it was odd.

After a turbo swap (which included us disassembling and then reinstalling the dp) it's now gone though. The rattle was the dp hitting the stock front sway/stabilizer bar. There was like a full inch of clearance but even still, at certain RPM it moves a lot.

The "proper" reinstall of both the dp and stock sway bolts seems to have remedied this. Not sure if that's of any help to you... But now I'm silent so I'm not sure what the dif is.

At worst, just put some dp spacers in and you'll be fine.
thanks but the noise is not just a rattling sounds, i have had problems in the past with exhaust banging around and it sounds nothing like what i hear. what i am hearing is a loud chirp sound maybe the downpipe is actually sitting on something nice and tight that way when it moves it just lets out a chirping sound, i prey this is the problem because i dont want to have to go through the clutch again. but thanks for your input.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

A chirp def sounds like something rubbing. If it's WAY too tight then a chirp may be the noise instead of a rattle.

Is your boost ok? Otherwise is driveability ok?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:13 PM

yea i believe the boost is right but my boost gauge wasnt hooked up before i did the clutch. but yea it drives freakin great, i also had the clutch restrictor pill removed as well it just doesn't like the take off from the start unless its fairly hard, a slow take off from a stop light or what not is not happening its either in or out and if its not engaged good enough it just get a little jerkey lol, but yea im thinking the downpipe or o2 housing is real tight on something metal, l hope

from what i can see my boost is right around 15 psi but hell i seen it spike up to right around 20 psi and i have never had it tuned myself so i dont know it sould be acurate though but thinking of replacing my autometer c2 gauge with the aem one...
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:00 AM

When you say you hear a chirp, do you mean by you hearing something like a metal to metal contact? something like a warped brake sound but louder? Do you hear this sound when you're first taking in 1st gear? Or when you're trying to slip into gear for smoother engagements? Try to listen to the sound carefully. While you're taking off, you're pretty much slipping the clutch to have a smooth take off. If you hear this chirping or metal contact sound, it can be your clutch. I have a Competition Stage 4 Clutch and mine makes an annoying metal to metal contact noise when taking off, slipping to other gears and has a rough take off.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by evolution253
When you say you hear a chirp, do you mean by you hearing something like a metal to metal contact? something like a warped brake sound but louder? Do you hear this sound when you're first taking in 1st gear? Or when you're trying to slip into gear for smoother engagements? Try to listen to the sound carefully. While you're taking off, you're pretty much slipping the clutch to have a smooth take off. If you hear this chirping or metal contact sound, it can be your clutch. I have a Competition Stage 4 Clutch and mine makes an annoying metal to metal contact noise when taking off, slipping to other gears and has a rough take off.
does it also do it when your down shifting and sometime mine is doing it when i hit a bump just right. it does kinda sound like the same sound as the brakes but its a fast chirp and yea it does it when taking off mostly or when downshifing to me its very annoying and i dont like it, but hopefully its the dp
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

hu,mm my clutch never made any noise while breaking it in did you find the problem
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by xxblazexx
hu,mm my clutch never made any noise while breaking it in did you find the problem
no not yet, i will be jacking it up tomarrow to check to see it the dp is rubbing on something
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:38 AM

I have heard it on downshifts also. Lets just say when I engage in first gear, it makes this long annoying metal sounding screech while the clutch is slipping and like other gears especially my 4th gear, i hear a quick metal sounding screech. I hope we're talking about the same thing. I regret buying a cheap clutch but I'm going to ignore the annoying sound until this clutch goes out on me. Haha. Oh and I was told once the break in period is over the sound should disappear. I put over 3k miles and the same annoying sound still exists.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by evolution253
I have heard it on downshifts also. Lets just say when I engage in first gear, it makes this long annoying metal sounding screech while the clutch is slipping and like other gears especially my 4th gear, i hear a quick metal sounding screech. I hope we're talking about the same thing. I regret buying a cheap clutch but I'm going to ignore the annoying sound until this clutch goes out on me. Haha. Oh and I was told once the break in period is over the sound should disappear. I put over 3k miles and the same annoying sound still exists.

well i cant say my clutch was cheap and it had good reviews to. im just hoping to crawl under and the problem is the down pipe

Quick Reply: please give your best opinion