Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Forced Performance's Newest Turbo Oil Feed Line

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2009 | 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Forced Performance's Newest Turbo Oil Feed Line

As many of you know, Forced Performance has been offering a turbo oil feed line upgrade for Evos for a while now. This line helped the people that were really winding the boost up on their stock and stock appearing turbos. There have still been some unexplained failures out there from stock and stock appearing turbos however. One thing that has been discovered, is that MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) requires 45psi of oil pressure to this series of turbocharger. In a lot of instances, when sourcing the oil feed from the cylinder head on the 4g63, after operating temperature is reached, the turbo will only see about 35psi. Of course every engine is different. Other conditions can have an effect on the oil pressure such as oil type, climate, type of use (drag racing, road course, or of course daily driving), and how large the oil clearances are in race engines.
Forced Performance has designed a new solution. They are now making a new oil line kit that sources the oil for the turbo from the oil filter housing. They found that running a -4line with their filter and .070 orifice, produces the required oil pressure. I received the kit to install on my good friends FP Red FP5R build.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tor-build.html

It is a complete kit with everything you need to plug the head, the proper British pipe thread fittings for the housing, and a clamp to secure the oil line properly.

Name:  DSC03299.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  152.9 KB
Name:  DSC03300.jpg
Size:  81.5 KB
Name:  DSC03301.jpg
Size:  78.5 KB

I will get install pics up asap.

I do not know if they are reccomending this for stock turbos on stock boost levels... However, I would say that this is insurance that any Evo owner out there would want regardless if they are on stock, stock appearing, or larger journal bearing turbos. I have known many people that have gone through a few stock turbos in otherwise well maintained Evos.
Old Jun 13, 2009 | 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

is this a must have when upgrading to fr-red? how much
Old Jun 13, 2009 | 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

The issue is not the FP Red.

The problem in need of this solution is that Mitsubishi placed the oil feed for the turbo at the absolute end of the oil pressure system, so with many motors, the oil pressure available for lubrication of the turbo system is lower than Mitsubishi's own recommended pressure for a stock turbo under "normal" conditions, much less driving the car in circumstances where the turbo is working much harder than designed for.

Any spirited driving will require more oil pressure as the turbo shaft increases in RPM. Any high performance turbo with journal bearings will benefit from having adequate oil pressure at all times, and some in reserve. That includes the Red, and probably all other similar turbos.

This is a great option for insuring that you have the oil pressure and volume that you need to keep the turbo bearings supplied.
Old Jun 13, 2009 | 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

does it actually come with instructions?
Old Jun 13, 2009 | 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

I cant speak for FP about what they will require etc. I was just lucky enough to get one of the first ones. I would imagine they will atleast require it to honor warranty. Again cant speak for them but thats what I would imagine. Also I would say they will strongly recommend it for any journal bearing turbo on the evos. It does come with instructions. I believe that it should be up on the site, and able to be ordered next week. Dont quote me though.
Old Jun 14, 2009 | 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Here is the pdf file for the oil specs.
Attached Files
Old Jun 14, 2009 | 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

When I got my red from FP a month ago, I talked to Brian about the same line and he told me not to take the turbo over 20psi until they started selling the new line. I just never installed the turbo (still sitting in the box). I order mine wednesday, so hopefully I'll have mine sometime this week (whenever the hell they process my order).
Old Jun 14, 2009 | 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I have my friends car on wastegate pressure, and a 5500 rev limiter. That was a funny text message when he found that out hahaha.

We have the line installed. There are directions, but I do not think they were finalized when ours was shipped. We also used heat shield on the line. When I figure out if I installed it anywhere near what they had intended I will put up pics.
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

So what is the main difference between this line and the other line you have to buy for FP to warranty their turbos?
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

If you use a journal brg turbo of ANY type (not just ours) and you are also using 'X' series (extra clearance) main/rod brgs, consider this as oil pressure at the head outlet at 150F+ oil temps, even on 20W-50 and thicker oils is less than 25 PSI. X series bearings KILL oil pressure available at the outlet of the head. While 20-25 PSI may be ideal for ball bearing units, journal brg units will not like it.

Also, the FP proprietary thrust bearing system requires more oil (and supports more load) than the factory TD05 thrust system, and this does make a difference.

Last edited by GrocMax; Jun 15, 2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a link so one can buy the new oil line ??
I searched on FP site and didn't see it.
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

PDF doc is done and kits are available but not on website yet, website instructions and product to be added tomorrow or wednesday.
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks !!
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

This is interesting because on DSMs, stock oil feed is at the housing, so many people moving on to ball bearing turbos experienced failure from too much oil pressure and have to move the feed to the head.

I wonder why Mitsu chose to move the feed to the head for Evos?
Old Jun 15, 2009 | 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GrocMax
If you use a journal brg turbo of ANY type (not just ours) and you are also using 'X' series (extra clearance) main/rod brgs, consider this as oil pressure at the head outlet at 150F+ oil temps, even on 20W-50 and thicker oils is less than 25 PSI. X series bearings KILL oil pressure available at the outlet of the head. While 20-25 PSI may be ideal for ball bearing units, journal brg units will not like it.

Also, the FP proprietary thrust bearing system requires more oil (and supports more load) than the factory TD05 thrust system, and this does make a difference.
Grocmax has forgotten more about turbos than I ever knew, but I think that the stock oiling system (from the head) will have lower than needed oil pressure with or without replacement bearings. In other words, oiling from the head with bigger (or higher spinning) turbos is likely to put you into problems, and this change to oiling from the filter housing is a great solution for all of the above...

Quick Reply: Forced Performance's Newest Turbo Oil Feed Line