Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Slips When Tightening Crank Bolt

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clutch Slips When Tightening Crank Bolt

Hey guys, I just want to run this by your before I put the rest of my car together. I need to tighten the main crank bolt, so I put the car in gear expecting that to hold enough to tighten it, but the clutch just slips. I took the trans inspection cover off, and when in gear the main shaft does not rotate when I rotate the motor, however it does when the trans is in neutral, meaning the clutch must be slipping when it has load on it. This concerns me because it does not take much force at all to make it slip. I've never put a clutch in before, so I don't know if it is normal, but it sure doesn't seem right.

The clutch is a new SPEC Supertwin.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make sure all of the cover bolts on the clutch are tight, and you might double check the bolts on the PP springs as well (if you can get to them without pulling the transmission). being a brand new clutch it is possible that it will move, but it probably should not. The throwout setup isn't applying any pressure on the clutch, is it?
Old Jun 15, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

It has a Quartermaster hydraulic tob, so It's hard to tell how much pressure it is putting on the pressure plate. I guess I could try adjusting the clutch pedal to make sure its completely engaging the clutch.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

not sure how relevant this is to your problem but even with the car in gear when tightening the crank bolt the flywheel would still spin.

Just wondering also do you have all 4 tires touching the ground? If not try that and see if it helps.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by def1
not sure how relevant this is to your problem but even with the car in gear when tightening the crank bolt the flywheel would still spin.

Just wondering also do you have all 4 tires touching the ground? If not try that and see if it helps.
Are you saying your car does this, or just clarifying that the flywheel would spin? If just clarifying, I understand that the flywheel would spin, but I would think the rest of the driveline should spin too, and its not. The 2 rear tires are on the ground, but thats irrelevent because I can look inside the tranny, and the main shaft only spins when I turn the motor over in neutral. when in gear, it does not spin.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

o ok I understand now. I didnt realize that only the clutch was spinning.

I have never done a clutch so I cant offer any advice but I hope that it is something simple. good luck.